Sign in to follow this  
Layoen

Painting/Decorating a mundane staff into a master staff

Hey, does anyone have any tips or instructions on how to make a mundane staff into a master staff of wizardry?

Or am I better off buying a new, more magical looking staff? I don't have much disposable income though.

I'm also considering if I do make my staff magical that i'll attempt to paint it a glowing blue. Only downside is being easily spotted on fourth shift, but that's an upside for a dead me as well! I saw the resto master staff post on facebook, but the entire staff is striking surface. I can't add gems but I may be able to wrap it in the middle. I heard a lot of people paint their weapons (mostly because they have to). I was told a master staff doesn't need much, usually just a blue color. I don't know what paints to use, but I do know someone who knows how to paint well (aka designs like vines and flowers). I saw another glowing staff no longer glows. Are there glow paints that don't fade away? Or would I be better off repainting it every now and then? Here's a picture of the staff. Also I won't be changing the staff for 1-4months as the crafter is backed up in orders.

braced-staff.jpg

Hi there! I'm MK, the Props and Atmosphere Marshal. I figured I'd chime in since I'm the one that would have to approve whatever you bring in, so let's chat. smile.gif

You've chosen a tough weapon to make into a master's staff only because it's rather ordinary looking to begin with. That's not a game breaker though. There's not a good place to wrap on this weapon or a place to put gems or other fancy bits, so painting is really your only option. My suggestion would be to paint the "metal hardware" parts some bright and shiney metallic color, like silver, gold, or copper and the pieces of wood between them in a shimmery/metallic blue. Maybe add some elvish script or runes in a contrasting color. Vines painted along the length of the staff would dress it up as well. I don't know of anyone using glowing paint other than Alt Nem, so I'm no help there. I think what they were referencing on the FB post was an LED globe that JC used on a custom staff that shorted out and doesn't work any longer.

You just need to be sure that whatever is done is done well, because if it doesn't look nice it will not pass. Master staves are a tool for a PC who's reached the pinnacle of their education in a school of magic. They require a craftsman who has spent years mastering the art of crafting magical ornaments and weapons and require that he or she use all their skills full tilt for an entire month to create. So while we IRL don't necessarily need to spend that kind of time or effort, we should try to represent that in game with the prop used. (Just to put into perspective the flavor behind these items).

Thanks for the info and design tips. Now I just need to find out where to buy the paint. I'd probably follow your idea closely. I'd have the metal part painted silver and the studs painted an antique gold, all of the wood painted in a coat of blue (glowing if I can), and have a vine spiraling down the staff with a few flowers coming out of it. (or maybe thorns?). Anyone know where to buy the correct paints?

Plain old acrylic paints are what you want. You can buy them at virtually any craft store like JoAnn's, Michael's, etc etc

Oh wow that's perfect! The painter I'm talking to uses them a lot! Also I might have the studs painted to be gems stuck into the metal part. What do I need for sealing it? I have basic maintenance silicone spray.

You MUST seal it with either Through The Roof or the varnish sold by Ateliers-Nemesis. We haven't found anything else that works for more than a month or two.

You can come over to my place if you need help. We have the skills to make it happen.

Thank you both. I remember now reading somewhere that people buy large tubs of the stuff. I'd bring the staff to your group project gathering, but I'm not too certain as to when the crafter will be able to make it a master staff. I could possibly buy a basic weapon to tide me over until I can get it officially in game. If I were to get the staff painted now, would anyone let me use their tub of sealant? I'd pay whomever offered whatever they deem fair. Also Zach I'd love to for sealing it when I get a hold of sealant, thanks. As for painting, I'm paying a painter to paint it, but if anyone is extremely confident in their skills I could pay them to. The painter isn't exactly a pro and hasn't painted in a long time.

I've been thinking on this for a long while and here's my plan:

• The metal plating on both ends will be painted with an antique gold. Not including the studs. (the non-shiny yellow paint in the picture) Since its a very bland paint if it doesn't come out looking very gold-like i'm going to look into how to paint it to look aged or something.

• The studs are in three rings with a couple studs separating the rings of studs. The ring of studs are a total of 7 studs. Each stud will be painted a different gem (the shiny paints). Sapphire (dark blue), Emerald (green), Topaz (yellow), Diamond (white), Amethyst (purple), Aquamarine (Light Blue), and Ruby (red). Therefore seven different gems on each seven stud ring. The separation studs will be a shiny opal acrylic paint when I buy it. This is because the opal color shines different colors in light. The gem edges will be outlined with thin black paint to look cut by a jeweler (or would leaving them rounded look alright?).

• The wood in between the metal plating will have a solid green vine spiraling down the staff with grey thorns. Might have a leaf or two popping out. No plans of flowers.

• All of the wood in the staff will have a coat of blue glow in the dark paint. The description of the paint is that in the daylight it is clear with a tint of blue. This allows the nice wood paint the staff came with to still be visible while also shining blue even during daylight.

I plan to buy the glow paint here http://glow.glowinc....the-dark-paint/

I plan to buy Ateliers Nemesis's varnish to seal it here https://www.ateliers....php?modelID=92

What do you guys think? MKW? Also i'm hoping the almost rainbow gems won't be too fruity. I might change up the pattern of gem colors per ring. I'm also terribly worried the small stud gems won't come out looking nice. And that all this paint might make it too hard to fight with. I really like the glowing paint idea and I think others will love it (I might have leftover paint too if anyone else wants to make something glow blue).

I think that all sounds fine. I would say to leave the gem stud things looking round, but it's your call. ☺

PROTIP : rub the surface of the weapon with rubbing alcohol before painting to clean the weapon and to also attempt to remove the sealer

Yeah since you recommend it I probably will pass on the black lines. Sounds a lot easier anyway. Also I'll do that Kyle, thanks. Less sealant reduces the chances of it to be too hard to fight with. I ordered $90 for a half pint (8oz) of the glow paint. Sadly Ateliers Nemesis uses PayPal and my PayPal account has me locked out until I give a ridiculous amount of identification photos. Working on fixing that currently.

Update:

Full Staff: http://postimg.org/image/jr0srujwj/

Close up of cloudy-white glow paint and gold: http://postimg.org/image/u9aibhk8x/

Staff is painted with glow paint and the metal parts are painted gold. Sadly my phone can't pick up the glow. The glow paint works pretty well, but I may need to apply a third coat. The paint also cracks when it dries, but if I keep cracking it it eventually stops. After the cracking it just becomes a sandpaper like texture but the soft latex is still felt. I'm hoping the paint layers don't harden it too much, and this is a bad sign. The glow is under the glow of a glowstick, but the sheer size of the staff makes it look awesome swinging it around. The glow could even be used to distract in combat. Should I keep the glow low-light or go for one more layer?

The gold paint looks a little... off. What do you guys think? Any ideas on making it look more like gold? The paint doesn't crack and the soft latex isn't hardened almost at all.

AN varnish is taking 3-4weeks to ship because it was originally out of stock. I bought it a little over two weeks ago so I may have this test ready by the June event. Also turns out I had to make an entirely new paypal just to buy it. Next up is the gemstones. Sadly one of the studs got chipped recently, but is still in working condition. After that is the spiraling vine with thorns and leaves. Also MK, with elven script, how do I write elvish? I have a calligraphy design book to reference, but even if I find elvish lettering I don't know elvish words. There's not much space for elvish text, but i'm thinking the wood in between the metal parts could have text on them. Or is the current staff good? Would adding more stuff to the staff make it better or worse?

John, the internet has the answer to all those questions about elvish.

Alright. I was over thinking and thought you guys had a specific lore elvish.

Ok, thanks! I'll look into it. I'm just slightly worried if I tack on too many things on this staff it might look strange. I'd probably write, "May your wounds be healed" and sentences like that in elvish in between the metal plating.

I'm adding another layer of glow paint. I just realised if I write elvish text on the glow paint it will be highlighted by the glow paint at night! I think that would look friggen sweet.