Sign in to follow this  
Silence

Perma Death

There are so many topics I couldn't locate the correct one so I'll ask here: what exactly are the requirements for a perma-death and how can it happen?

There are a few different ways a permadeth can happen and they are all the result of the same thing: The spark (life force) being sent to the Well or being destroyed. Whether it be from one of the monsters that can destroy the spark, enough time going by that the spark goes to the well naturally, or a ritual being done to send it to the well faster.

I remember something about someone getting another players spark back from the well or from a monster

From the Well? Unlikely. From a monster? Makes sense with reap spirit or just straight up killing them. Rules?

That's weird. I believe that as of last Feb Feast you should be bled out and reaped OR bled out and left until the end of the game day, at which point the spark goes to the well, from which there is no return unless Darkness or ghost type things, which I believe can't happen to a PC.

Still want rules to chine in here.

Perma Death happens two ways...

1) You're killed and left in the woods. After the gameday, ifou're not revived, your spark goes onto the well.

2) Someone reaps your spirit, then uses a ritual called Final Rest to ensure you don't come back to life ever.

You do not come back from perma death, ever. No one has ever come back from being perm-dead, unless they had a fancy Feb Feast item that allowed them to do so.

*cough*

Someone called for Rules? The other half of Rules is preparing for Ragnarok, so I expect that I'm the one you're gonna get...

At the Feb Feast 2015 we revamped "permadeath", but I think that this question highlights some changes we need to make in the rules documents to make that clear. Here's the info from the Errata from 2015, and it's official.

Reap Spirit

Type: Necromancy Level: 1

Duration: 1 Hour Range: Touch Dispel: No

This spell causes a Killing Blow if cast upon a mortally wounded recipient. The caster of this spell absorbs the life-spark from the once-living target. When a body has had its spark ‘reaped’ it cannot be revived unless the spark is returned. A reaped spark can be returned to a body in one of a few ways:

1. The death of the reaper will release the spark.

2. Some Mediums can act as a conduit to return the spark to the original body. This does

not reset the 60 minute timer. (See rules for Medium).

3. After 60 minutes, the spark returns to the body unless Final Rested (See Final Rest)

4. The reaper casts Ley Lines

Only Mediums are able to see this stolen life-spark on the caster of Reap Spirit. To do so, the Medium would say, “I am a Medium, are you holding any sparks?” (This would be an out-of- game conversation).

If cast upon an Undead target, the life force of the creature is far too weak to be absorbed into the caster and is destroyed, therefore preventing the reanimation of the undead creature. Even though the spell succeeds, the caster is not considered to be carrying a spark, and can successfully cast Reap Spirit again immediately.

Final Rest

Final Rest is returning to the game, but as a repeatable Necromancy ritual. There will be no scrolls or oils for Final Rest.

The ritual will be under restriction for NPC use -- you are not going to see hordes of Necromantic ritualists Reaping and Resting PCs. Not every game, anyway...

The details of the ritual are being finalized by the Rules team for April, along with a revamp of many ritual skills, but the basics are:

● The ritual will require use of an approved ritual hand bell, which must be rung continuously for 10 minutes, to represent the magical forces unleashed by putting a spark to Rest.

● Sparks not successfully Final Rested within one hour of Reaping will be returned to their bodies.

● The ritual must be performed by the PC who reaped the spark. Reapers can only hold one spark at a time. Therefore the ritual can only affect one spark at a time.

● When you Final Rest someone, go inform logistics.

● If you were Final Rested, go inform logistics. I mean, what else are you doing anyway?

In practice, for PC purposes, this looks like this:

1. PC kills someone.

2. PC casts Reap Spirit on the dead body.

3. If the kill was contentious, the PC will have to physically run/hide.

4. PC sets up the ritual per instructions.

5. PC rings the bell. If no one finds the PC in that 10 minutes of bell ringing, and disrupts the ritual, the PC has killed the other guy.

6. If the ritual is not completed (for whatever reason) one hour after reaping, the spark goes back to the body.

So: to kill a PC for realsies, you have to use Reap Spirit and the Final Rest ritual. If you succeed in both, then the PC is DeadDeadDead, and not coming back via any normal game mechanic. As Tony noted, there are a few Feb Feast special snowflake things that can bring a spark back from the Well, and theoretically Plot could choose to do that as well, but it's DAMNED UNLIKELY to happen, as it would require a rewrite of our mythos and universal operating principles.

I'm not going to really challenge things too much, but with the spark going to the well naturally part I have a question. If my memory serves correctly, when Dave and Dan were going over the rules, Dave said that the player has two convergences to come back before permadeath.

3) Unless something has changed a few monsters can kill you for forever.

I'm not going to really challenge things too much, but with the spark going to the well naturally part I have a question. If my memory serves correctly, when Dave and Dan were going over the rules, Dave said that the player has two convergences to come back before permadeath.

Permadeath happens when the spark goes to the well. It takes time for that to happen. Thus, the delay that allows your buddies to save you...

3) Unless something has changed a few monsters can kill you for forever.

That too. There are several monsters that "eat" sparks, and when they kill a PC, the spark is just *gone*, so also DeadDeadDead.

That too. There are several monsters that "eat" sparks, and when they kill a PC, the spark is just *gone*, so also DeadDeadDead.

It's not a good time. >.>

Just reading above I noticed a few people mentioned this so I thought I would post the actual rule to clear up confusion

"Player DeathFrom the point of Killing Blow, Bleeding Out, etc, you have 2 convergences to get revived,otherwise you are dead forever. One convergence occurs overnight, and one occurs betweengames."

Source: 2015 feb feast handout

link - http://www.kingdomsofnovitas.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10133