Sign in to follow this  
iXUSpROGRAMM

Noodle Strikes

So, as a new player, the sort of Larp combat I have been exposed to consists of two men slapping at each other with their weapons repeatedly, in a desperate struggle to out-tap their opponent. I recognize that Novitas emphasizes realistic tools, and I just read that a swing must be 90+ degrees to qualify, but this concept still scares me.

I'd hate to be the guy who dies when he shows up expecting a paced, tactical combat and gets noodle-armed to death.

I understand your concerns. I believe we call it "machine gunning" when strikes are rapid and non-distinct. This is not a valid way to fight. The best way to allay your fears is to NPC for at least your first full event and get a feel for the combat system in a live environment. There are also some fighter's practices going on depending on where you live.

The best recommendation is for you to show up and try it. Theory-crafting over the Internet won't help either way.

If you find that Kingdoms of Novitas isn't as 'realistic' as you prefer then I would recommend our Dag unit, the Cairnhold Legion. You can ask Hivemind about it when you attend your first event.

To be clear, I have no intentions of abandoning KoN for a disliked combat maneuver: I'm sure I could adapt if I wanted to. I am comforted by the fact that it is known and addressed.

Fight practice sounds wonderful, honestly. Myself, I'm in the Cortland area. If anyone knows of any meetings nearby, I'd be greatly pleased to hear about it! :)

I think when I demonstrate to you what we mean by this requirement, you will be satisfied. It only exists to stop people from rapidly hitting their opponent. Combat is fast, but highs are not light. We are not lightest touch.

I run a fighter practice every Tuesday in Liverpool at Lake Onondaga park. Send me a PM if you want more details.

I won't be running the practice for the next few weeks as I'm on vacation however.

The thing that makes it less of a problem at KoN is the low cap on HP and Damage at a maximum of 4, with armor granting additional bonus protection points to a max of 4 (5 with fullplate and a helm). Combat generally ends after 2-4 hits are landed on the opponent. It's pretty quick and deadly and you have to learn to dodge hits or fight in teams.