Sign in to follow this  
Regulus

Options for a swung Great Weapon

At some point in the next few months I'll be bringing in an alt PC, and I'm considering using a Great Weapon, but I don't want a thrust-only spear type weapon.

What is the recommended length for something like a halberd or glaive? I'm looking for recommendation for the greatest length possible that meets all rules/requirements (safety, flex, etc) but is also manageable for someone without much practice using such a weapon.

Also, please give any recommendations you have for where to buy such an item, or a guide for making such weapons.

From what I have read and seen online the standard is about half a foot to a foot taller than you.

Rules wise to my knowledge there is no max length for a great weapon unless that has changed since i left.

Other rules and req, can be found on the wiki page in the combat section.

I comfortably used a 8.5 footer, had about 3 feet of blade for my striking surface and for safety 4-5 inches of stabbing tip.

You will mainly be using your weapon to thrust. As a warning i have never had a great weapon last more than a year and a half before the tip started to go. = lots of time and $

The only time i ever got to slash with mine in open areas verses 1 or 2 opponents and normally for limb or ankle biting. That being said, from experience, you have to be careful not to machine gun, it takes more time to bring your great weapon back the required distance. longer weapon = farther distance.

I would say making one would be your best option, it makes tip replacement much easier in my opinion but it takes a fair amount of time and money.

I could throw together a guide but i need to know your price range and the spec you think you are going to use.

I am never on the forums and was bored today, If you need more help get at me through Facebook. if you don't know which twin i am or am not one of my friends then send both of us an invite.

Rules wise to my knowledge there is no max length for a great weapon unless that has changed since i left.

The problem isn't length, it's how sturdy it is going to be... If you build a 20 foot spear, you better make sure it's not whipping like a sheet in the wind...etc.

Also -- If you're going to make your own weapon, I want to stress that the Great Weapons you see NPCs using is NOT something that we're allowing PCs to use. Dag spears and anything closely resembling them is strictly for NPC use. I want to make sure that this is known, since we've had players spend money on Dag Spears, only to be told that it's NPC only.

Please, if you have an idea and are on the fence at all about legality, please speak with MK and/or myself. We can at least agree on the prop you're deciding to use. It'll be up to C&S (JC or Richard) to approve the safety of it once it's made, though.

Aside from building, I've been looking around at options online. Calimacil has a few pole weapons, and the shafts are padded all the way down.

Would any of these be likely to pass?

http://www.calimacil.com/weapons/pole-weapon/staffs/wooden-staff.html

http://www.calimacil.com/weapons/pole-weapon/staffs/jingu-naginata.html

http://www.calimacil.com/weapons/pole-weapon/staffs/naginata.html

Calimacil staff weapons have been traditionally suspect. However richard has been using the Hangaku Naginata for some time. The staff portions of these weapons have pretty thin padding and tend to hit quite hard.

There was a vendor selling lots of staff weapons. But I can't seem to find it at the moment. I'll look some more later.

Calimacil staff weapons have been traditionally suspect. However richard has been using the Hangaku Naginata for some time. The staff portions of these weapons have pretty thin padding and tend to hit quite hard.

There was a vendor selling lots of staff weapons. But I can't seem to find it at the moment. I'll look some more later.

Was it garbgeek?