Kender

2016 Roleplaying Skills changes and Input!

Hi folks!

As the head of your KoN Rules team, I'm here to ask for your input and feedback sometimes. We're updating the Roleplaying skills. Some were too good, some weren't cool enough, and all of them needed love.

The point of the RP skills are to reward players for roleplaying. As such, to go up levels the player needs to act the part, and get noticed and approved by our plot team.

Anyway, Here's what we're looking at. Specifically we need help for Chosen 3, but I'd like any input you have here.

Thanks!

-Dan

Merchant

• Level 1: As part of production, exchange any production item for any other production item of the same type/class but one level lower. (Potions/Scrolls/Alchemy)
  • Level 2: 5 extra production (Pay 5 coin, get 5 levels of production items at sign-in)
  • Level 3: Can turn in magic items for half their cost in coin (Magic item -> Cash)
  • Level 4: Can exchange any magic item for a magic item of half its value (Can stack up magic items, so two magic swords = one magic sword)
  • Level 5: Once per year, can buy a 36 CP epic item. (180 coin for ornamenting item, 360 coin for weapon)

Druid

• Level 1: Title of choice, Treenet
  • Level 2: Free spell 1/GD. No-incant Charm Nature.
  • Level 3: Choose one: Tanglefoot Poison Pin 2x/gd, Natural weapon 1/gd, nature immunity, Barkskin (+1 body)
  • Level 4: Primal damage for 1 minute 1/GD.
  • Level 5: Aspect of Nature. Suggested by player, approved by Rules. Options may include Aspect of the Ooze (Acid damage for 1 minutes 1/GD), Aspect of Fae (DR poison for 1 minute 1/GD), etc.

Medium

• Level 1: See spirits and sparks
  • Level 2: All Reap Spirits become no-incant. Free Reap Spirit 1/gd
  • Level 3: Hold 1 extra spark, and ability to transfer sparks.
  • Level 4: Free spell: Command Spirit 1/GD.
  • Level 5: Speak with Dead 2/GD. Any dead, so long as body/remains are present, can be called to answer for 10 minutes. They cannot lie, and must answer.

Status

• Level 1: Title of choice, and 20 coin per event.
  • Level 2: Free spell No-incant Disengage dart 4x/gd (Four total darts). 20 additional coin.
  • Level 3: Charm Nation. Charm aura on NPCs from their own nation/organization, "Charm Civen" or "Charm Thieves Guild". 20 additional coin.
  • Level 4: Command Nation 1/GD. (No-incant Dart spell) Command NPCs from their own nation/organization. 20 additional coin.
  • Level 5: Pure Cognizance. 20 additional coin. (Pure Cognizance grants immunities to the following effects and alchemical compounds: Charm, Silence, Dominate, Memory Loss, Anesthesia, Vermin Bane, and Truth Serum.)

Chosen

• Level 1: Shrine. In buildings same as before, but in the open, prayer initiates a Sanctuary that can be held indefinitely by the Chosen. (A traveling paladin can put his shrine together in the woods and sleep there in a sanctuary)
  • Level 2: Group Prayer. 1/GD, one level 1 or 2 spell cast by the player benefits all within a 10 foot radius of the shrine.
  • Level 3: Free spell: [need to make a list]
  • Level 4: Gift of the Gods. Choose from Giving To Others [heal mortal plus 4 power from the Gods to another PC/NPC], Keeping For Myself [improved Magic Armor plus 2 power from the Gods for the Chosen], or Taking From Others [Reap Spirit from another PC/NPC plus 4 power from the Gods for the Chosen].
  • Level 5: Smite. Smite removes DR and Kill Condition from the target, but does not remove Kill Condition: Special. Target is also unable to dissipate or use Ley Lines. Chosen 5 are immune to Smite from other Level 5 Chosen.

What if you are a merchant that does not use production ? Courtney and myself do not use production at all as merchants. For example we are like car dealers, we don't make our own cars to sell we sell other people's. Due to this the RP skill becomes lack luster. I'd like to see something that does not involve solely, give us this we give you that and something we can use in more of a RP sense and or something that invokes more reason for us to try and become better merchants without relaying on production. If that makes any sense.

I think our biggest worry is the level 2 merchant. Like would we need the requisite skill to produce the merchant 5 lvls? Or would it be like we can just have whatever in that purview of 5 production levels.

You'd just be able to trade coin for the consumables. You don't need any production to have merchant.

Actually, it looks to me that you don't need any other skills to benefit from these RP skill lasers.

Notable things we removed:

Smite doesn't remove immunities

Mediums aren't immune to reap spirit

Merchant isn't an unlimited coin->XP hole

The wording "5 Extra production" makes it sound like we should have production already. I don't produce. I don't have any production skills, that isn't the merchant I wanted to be. So would a merchant without the production skills be able to use the extra production is what I was asking. If its 5 levels of production without needing the skill then its not an issue like I thought. But my gut is saying that's not how its meant.

Unfortunately I don't have a better suggestion atm, I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.

5 Extra production. You have 0 Production +5. So now you have 5 Production worth of items without having the production skill.

Okie dokie, there was no way for me to know that by reading it is all. Its vague, and worded in a way that caused both me and josh to question it.

I guess I am going to have to start buying slaves with all of my money now. I think it would be neat to grant Merchant 3 or 4 a language of their choosing.

Ok that clarifys that thank you :)/>. Alternative suggestion granting Merchants a title as well? As most merchants do, we say our name almost everytime we sell something( masked merchant of Pinedale, master gem maker..) so actually having it as a legititment title would be neat. Also maybe still letting merchants purchase exp but a limited amount ? Say 3 per event or something?

Question for rules. Is there ment to be a design space for each of these or is it just abilities that go along with the theme? What is the overarching goal that each RP skill trying to achive or show though these "lasers"? Knowing how you are looking at each of the RP skills would let us hone in and give better segestions.

Chosen 2- Get access to a language appropriate to the gods they worship, (example. Draconus would give you Draconic )

This looks good. Merchant is no longer broken, and Status got a much-needed boost. One request for clarification:

Medium:

• Level 5: Speak with Dead 2/GD. Any dead, so long as body/remains are present, can be called to answer for 10 minutes. They cannot lie, and must answer.

As listed, it only requires a body/remains. Would it also require a spark? (ex: Can a reaped body be questioned? A Final Rested body?)

Merchant question: with level 2, if I'm a Master Weaponsmith, can I now make a 30 point item?

Honestly, all the merchant stuff is pretty ho-hum and boring to me, except level 5.

First I totally agree on the hum-ho

,to use merchant skills effectively it takes a ton of out of game time and a huge headache at sign in. Logistics loves me... Hope the year break was enough to recharge.

Secondly, turning items into other items is awesome and grants a boost in the items players want in-game but at double the cost. I feel it defeats the purpose of a lazer if it takes twice the energy to fire. I found it effective with the biggest downfall being master crafted items. I feel the skill would be more useful if it could create master crafted items if the merchant was a master of one of the skills, Ornamenting, Weaponsmithing. So on.

Thirdly, have production and craft points points been combined? Because that destroys production of scrolls and options... Who would want to make a couple scrolls at the cost of an ES sword? (Edit irrelevant(

Finally Level 5, along the plus line could a master ornamentor create a 40 pt item? and is the item bound to the <level 3 spell rule? And unless you don't need the skills to make the item in question it is worth nothung to your pedallers and ss, and alchemists tinkerers.

Lastly, I respect the no coin turn in rule. But could you put a cap or conditions. On it. Only used for general skills and merchant based skills, or even 200 coin per game. It honestly makes not difference to me. I am not putting many more levels into Blagar/Ashlin. But you took the most redeeming part of merchant away with no trade off. Cheap deal. Pun intended XD

I am sorry I have been out for a year. And being a lvl 4 merchant I would like to not play it wrong.

I like all the changes.

I've been thinking...my major thought on Merchant has always been that I can buy and sell things without the RP skill (unlike say mediums that can't see ghosts unless they are mediums for an extreme example). Each of the other RP skill trees adds flavor to the character that takes them. Druids and status get a title, druids get treenet, chosen gets a nifty port-a-shrine which adds to their story potential, mediums see ghosts (as I stated above forgive me for repeating myself). But merchant doesn't get any of these flavor enhancers.

Maybe there could be like an option to register with Merchant Guild or something, in someway make a character that takes merchant into an "official" merchant.

I think the real answer to your comment Courtney is the type of plots that can be sent to Merchants (with a capital M). Those who have the Merchant skill should be approached by certain plot hooks or others. Anyone can buy and sell stuff, but perhaps some plots can say "Oh, do you have an established trade? No? I'm sorry, I'll only do business with an official merchant."

I have to agree with all the other merchants on this... The way I see it, Merchant as purposed has 2 problems. First, Every ability has a loss associated with it. And Second, Merchant isn't just about production and items.

First thought: It feels like Merchant is super weak in comparison to the other 4 RP skills. And I understand trying to balance 5 asymmetrical groups like this is pretty close to impossible. But the look of it, the difference is VAST between Merchant and the other 4. Every other skill Gains something. Purely gains. Except Merchant as purposed. Every level we lose something. And I am not saying the benefit isnt bad, Getting the ability to exchange loot that we may not want into something we do want is good. Its the Cost of it compared to every other RP skill that is the problem. Loss of a level on consumable, Loss of half the Effective CP on trade ins, The coin put in for the production of the 36 point item. Level 3 is the only one I cant stand. Its worthless and if it ever gets used I would personally be beyond disbelieving it because of the state of the economy being so easy to get coin.

Second thought: Why is Merchant as purposed "Production 2.0"? As Oz, More Production is GREAT! As Steve Guile... Thats not what Merchanting is about. Mercanting to me more about establishing a name for buisness. Creating trade agreements and trade routes. Controlling trade and tariffs and the market value of items. Becoming a Household name. Any person can go to the Inn and sit down and sell things... But it takes true skill to become renown for buying and selling and to gain influence over others of the trade. That has less to do with production and much more with how you provide to your customers and the deals you can make to better accommodate them. This counts as Goods or Services. Oz sells the things he makes. Sorien, Beryl, and Ivan sell the things they find. But there are others in game who sell things that can not be in-game produced. I bake and bring things in game when I have the OOG money to get ingredents. Brewmaster sells his ale that he brings in. Teridan (While not a Merchant but a good example for arguments sake) sells his time to entertain you with his games. I could even see Bards or the leader of a highly successful Spy or Mercenary group having the Merchant RP skill with influence in their own fields. Its all about Silver Tongue, Dealing with your product, And making the most coin for your time. Another way I think about it is While Status is bringing power and fame to your personal name, family, and house... Merchant is bringing power and fame to your Business. And I don't think that purely adding on to production makes that possible to all styles of merchant.

Again, This is just how I view Merchant and how I try to play the skill. It is more about my interactions with guilds, other Merchants and aspiring merchants, my shop, and the customers both PC and NPC than Production even though I use production as the medium to sell. And I think this is why most of the Merchants are seeing this as Ho-Hum. Its too broad of an umbrella for Lasers really to tune on. And I think if you look at it as more like "Business Status" Or even like the influence/Contacts skill from Vampire:tM I think the reception would be more favorable like the other 4 skills have been from the people with them.

As for suggestions... Im just going to throw a lot of ideas here. This is just more throwing Science at the wall and seeing what sticks. But hopefully rules can take how I look at the skill and these laser ideas and create a more universal Merchant.

- At Level 1, Gain an "Official Specialization" of your choice. Like how Status gets titles, But think of it more as what you are known for. In the same way you wouldn't go to a hat store to buy a new hammer or a hot meal. You wouldn't go to Oz looking for mercenaries. Its purely an RP thing but its a nice idea that you could play with many ways. Most of the Merchants in game already do this anyway. Now it would just be official.

- 20 to 40 coin somewhere there. Merchant is about money, Less than Status and Blue Bloods but something to show we are merchanting in the time between games.

- Combining the current Level 2 and 4. I think getting 5PP of an consumable is fine and combining it with the trade in ability at a single level makes it so Production Merchants have a nice boon, and other merchants can play it off as they were paid for their services with an item. This said, If combining them I feel like the trade in ability should be One new item an event. Its a small Nerf to an ability that you are already losing on, But getting both of them for 4 Skill points the nerf seems justified.

- At a high level (Thinking level 4) "Merchants register" getting to have a SMALL (Props and Atmo approved for look and size) Blue bag or blue box Or at least an unpickable item. Its something tangible and nice but not insane and it fits for someone trying to make money over someone who has money.

- "Discernment: Once per game day while conducting "business" after asking a single question and receiving an answer they may make an OOC call, "Discernment". After which the person (Or single person of merchants choice if multiple people are involved) tells the merchant making the call if the answer was a lie. This is an OOC Call and is a "Yes this is truth." or "No this is a lie." with no additional information given. If only part of the answer was a lie, The information given back to the merchant is "No, This is a lie." The use of and information given though Discernment is OOC. This is an ability that would be great at a mid level. A useful skill Merchants should all have is being able to tell when someone is lying or conning. Its a one time weaker truth serum that just gives a tip off to the Merchant that something isnt right. Like how Mediums can see Sparks while concentrating, A merchant would notice subtle signs of a lie if focusing. And with it being an OOC call, Just like seeing Sparks, The tip off is only know to the Merchant. It might need a little tweeking, But I personally really like this and think it would be a neat RP ability that fits thematically.

- "Supply Lines: Once per game SHIFT (NOT CONVERGENCE), Use a Crimson Currier or Go to Logistics to buy a single item at x1.5 base cost (Rounded up) (Your prop must be provided at time of the skill). You have made contacts with local trade caravans or have a local merchant off screen that is able to get you an item or consumable that you need and is quickly able to send it too you, at a convince cost." We already do this for the Disenchant ritual where Logistics takes the item and give you glitter. This just works in reverse. For items, the prop will need to be sent down and approved by Props and Atmo (Preferable pre-aproved, At least that is how I would do it if I had this skill. Have a box of pre-approved for this) and we send it back with a number. Consumables you send the request and the money and it gets sent back out. The pros of this is convince and the ability for a merchant to go "I dont have this thing you want, but I got a guy if you are willing to pay". Even if it is only used for consumables... it becomes a Psudo-Prismatic casting ability with a wait time. Mechanically, It would need to be watched. I dont want this to be a thing someone uses every single shift to artificially increase their production, It should RPed more like as a Favor... Pull to much and you either dont get the item or you owe the off screen person a lot. I could see this getting abused, Honestly I could. But with some refinement this could be a neat idea and a cool thing for merchants to do and RP. Spy has a guy tied up but is out of truth serums or needs a stun scroll or anesthesia to move a body... He calls a friend. Someone comes to Oz dying to get a ring of a certain spell as a present for his girl, Oz knows a guy that has one.

- When I think about Merchants, I think about Bribery. Its an honor based game and this would be an honor based ability. Once per gameday, Cast a compulsion spell, No power but 5-10 coin per level. Turn the coin in to an NPC at first convenience. Personally, I would rather Bribery be an RP thing and I dont like this idea but its an idea.

I hope this helps and is still in time to mold some ideas for both plot and rules to take merchant and take it a step forward like how I feel the other 4 RP skills are. Thanks.

Question for rules. Is there ment to be a design space for each of these or is it just abilities that go along with the theme? What is the overarching goal that each RP skill trying to achive or show though these "lasers"? Knowing how you are looking at each of the RP skills would let us hone in and give better segestions.

IMO, based on our Rules discussions:

Merchant: Buyers, sellers, and makers, with lasers providing added resources to enable more IG RP of merchanting beyond what normal production would allow.

Druid: Demonstrating attunement with nature, with lasers giving the ability to call on/control nature.

Chosen: Touched and favored by the gods -- ANY of the gods, with lasers that give meaning to preachers, paladins, and dark acolytes alike.

Status: Lords, Ladies, and other dignitaries, with lasers that replicate influence and social power.

Medium: Slighty creepy speakers-with-the-dead, with lasers that allow them to interact with the dead in ways no mere mortal can.

Okie dokie, there was no way for me to know that by reading it is all. Its vague, and worded in a way that caused both me and josh to question it.

This is just the shorthand version -- we will clarify and write it all out more clearly for the official rules doc. So thanks for pointing out that problem, and if you see any other unclear places please let us know!

My 2 cents (with no horse in this race)- I personally enjoy the RP flavor of a lot of Steve's suggestions. My sense, from the other merchant's comments, is that this is the kind of thing they're more interested in. Initially I was confused at the "I DON'T LIKE IT!" comments, but it makes sense if you compare it with Status which has both monetary incentives as well as some RP flavor mechanics/abilities. There's gotta be a way to strike a balance between the two for Merchant too. I will try and offer some suggestions as well after letting it kick around my noggin for a bit today. smile.gif

Our general feeling was that Druid, chosen, merchant and medium were "Individual achievement" skills, while status was a "belongs to a group" skill

So, status gets money from mom and dad, while merchant has to hustle a bit for it.

I like the idea of a truth serum effect, and I kind of like the idea of a "Merchant's strongbox" at a higher level, that they can stick somewhere and it's invisible and immovable to other players.