Kender

2016 Roleplaying Skills changes and Input!

As a non merchant I think this sums up everyone's issues.

Merchants (Big or little M's) deal in consumables, magic items, weapons, etc. All are created OOG, and there's a meta system that controls what and how much can be created between games.

So as a RP skill, do we want lasers that help produce these items, or lasers to help RP with other players? Both have merit and lend to different play styles, the Craftsman, who makes and sells his wares, and the Merchant, who buys and sells for profit.

Anyone can RP a merchant under whatever name they want in game and make a profit, with or without lasers. The RP skills are here to enhance your RP and use as you see fit, so I agree there should be some sort of clout that comes with increasing levels of the skill.

The other skill trees gave options of this or that; why not do that with the merchant tree, so MerchantsTM can be rewarded in their preferred way to RP their character.

As for "You're not listening to us," I'm pretty sure they are. They have until the errata or later even (how long after did rituals take to get finished?) to finalize everything. I haven't seen Dan or Jenica officially shoot down any ideas yet, and they're the Rules Marshals. Everyone else is just another 2 cents in the discussion.

I'm totally listening, and I don't see anybody from the rules team in here shitting on anyones ideas.

Merchant is really a hard set of skills to add bonuses to, because *anyone* can sit down and trade their stuff for money. So what can we do? lasers at sign-in? okay

lasers during game though, that's trickier.

What if like, a merchant could add 25% to the coin value of coin items, at sign-in?

What about being able to buy extra production with a higher cap?

Trading in broken magic items for the same magic item but new?

Magic to protect your wares? (Sanctify, magic lock, etc)

Polyglot?

What if you could set your sign as a leylines spot, that triggered when you took a torso wound? Get hurt? BOOP back home with all your possessions.

Some manner of disguise, like "I appear to be an elf! Hello friend!"

... oh gosh, what if Merchants could use their connections to find out which other PCs have contacts doing research, and send them advertisements or coupons.... KoN SPAM mail

Because of the way KoN is, we're not going to have something like a "Merchant aura level 3, noncombat option VS bandits!" call.

Merchant is really a hard set of skills to add bonuses to, because *anyone* can sit down and trade their stuff for money. So what can we do? lasers at sign-in? okay

lasers during game though, that's trickier.

No, we get that. Let me try and put into words WHY I'm not keen on 2-3 as written.

My only thing about Merchant 2 as written next to the other revised RP skills (so assume everything is as written in the first post) is a purely mathematical one. Given how our game is structured time wise you can, in theory, get 4 game days to do stuff on. So Status 2, over the course of an event, gets 16 no incant Disengage darts or a single Chosen can, figuring just his party (of 6) being present, hand out 24 (of which 20 are free) Magic Armor in the course of a single event. I get that a Merchant at 2 could pick, say, a Shadowskin scroll and it persists, but it's one use AND they still had to pay for it. The only other RP skill that has to pay anything for their ability is Medium, and even then they get more bang for their power.

My issue with 3 is that it feels...same-y as 4. Rather then another item you get cash. Whoopy? Levels 3-5 of Merchant all revolve around magic items. While useful it comes out feeling like 3 and 4 are pretty much the same. I honestly don't see why 3 and 4 can't be rolled together into level Four. They offer pretty much the same thing; trade in a magic item for something else at half value. As written it's kind of like the plain oatmeal of RP skills. You keep eating the bowl and after a while it all tastes the same. It's why I suggested what I did for 3 to shake that feeling of sameness, keeping the flavor, AND adding in another coin sink into the game (and, let's be honest, the more the merrier).

And let me ask this: What's with the lack of a small stipend for Merchant? Why did that get yanked?

Because of the way KoN is, we're not going to have something like a "Merchant aura level 3, noncombat option VS bandits!" call.

Let's be honest. Status 2 is pretty much this. ;)/>

Find me the bandit that identifies as Civenite and i'll agree with you

Status 2 is 4 Disengage tagbags a game day. You can make one small average bandit encounter ignore you.

And level 2 merchant lets you make a level 5 scroll ( or 5 disengage scrolls, or 2 dissipate scrolls), which you could also ignore those bandit encounters....

And level 2 merchant lets you make a level 5 scroll ( or 5 disengage scrolls, or 2 dissipate scrolls), which you could also ignore those bandit encounters....

You missed the point, again. I was teasing Dan.

Merchant is really a hard set of skills to add bonuses to, because *anyone* can sit down and trade their stuff for money.

Maybe that's what we give merchants. Much like we artificially decree that no one who doesn't have Status can give themselves a title, we could also artificially decree that no one who doesn't have merchant can sell stuff for money. You can trade items with other players or NPCs, but unless you are a Merchant, you cannot sell items or consumables, or ANYTHING else for coin.

Merchants having a "leylines" like ability would be great for IC and OOC applications. Once per convergence at convergence they can travel to their official shop. It also allows travel off screen outside of Pinedale every event to lets say other merchants? Merchants guild HQ, and such.

I also like the idea of merchant 3 being able to create items with an equal spell level at half coin. (If you turn in an item of panacea, and you also turn in an aditional 80 coin worth of crafted items you can create an item with a lvl 4 spell.

Could GMs organize generic merchants that once per shift find the Played merchants and give them better trade deals than other characters?

Merchants could also employ NPCs, you are a farmer, "I will pay you up front so you can harvest X madweed next month."

This is more of a stretch but traders, prostitues and inn keepers tend to be the ones who know the gossip, maybe an ingame lore request system could be established once per game in the form of yes or no questions. Is XYZ in town?

I feel like this point has been beaten into the ground, but anyone really looking for lazers... You go into a store you buy something you leave. You go to a pawn shop you haggle, you leave. Its just kinda how it is. Back to make your own fun, I know 3 people in the conversation above have to use "Lightwing," incants.

And no one said you have to play nicely... I am surprised we haven't seen any mafia styles come through yet. There are a few characters who if I find out they went back on their deals are going to get kneecapped.

Finally and I am not for scrapping the skill, but maybe part of the problem is how many games is your character the merchant? Maybe part of the problem is that Merchants in games and stories tend to be NPCs. Food for thought.

Blagar, I made my character with this in mind. I will be neglecting my merchant duties soon because I have internally taken up the character of an adventurer.

The bun wizard was a baker first, a townsperson second, and a combatant third. Selling and buying was part of the gig but the narrative I built was never about the things I had but rather the people I met and shared time with. The game was not about stuff. It wasn't about money. I wasn't gaming the game to get as many points as possible the way the chosen don't try to get as many holy points as possible.

The lighting brand is cool. But having things and selling stuff is just a gig. Making a legacy is the story and the brand does a great job at doing that.

Anyone can sell and buy things, but I feel like merchants play a game outside of what people without RP skills play.

Druids play with the tale of the natural forces. Chosen fight the war of the gods while on this mortal land. Mediums live a story that others can't even see! While people of status play a game of politics and intrigue.

Merchants, too, can play a different game. Something outside the everyday survival of pinedale. It is a kind if game about fame and brands and service. Crafting an image, creating a trust between customer and merchant, having a tale that isn't just "fight the guy and don't go to the well." It's a little close to the game of status but on a different level.

Idk. Everyone wants to be Batman, I kinda wanted to play Alfred for a while.

It just feels like instead of there being an acknowledgement of heard, there is this "you guys are just whining because your lazrs got balanced, these are the reasons you should stop whining," which for many of us is not the case.

Courtney, the only members of the Rules team who have commented here are Dan, me, Pat, Zach, and Dave -- and I don't see anything crappy in their comments. So if somebody from Rules has been giving you shit offline, or making you feel bad, will you please let me know offline? I'll handle it.

If it's the other players who are giving you crap... well. They don't get a vote. And the Rules team Marshal and Second truly are listening, with an open mind!

Trading in broken magic items for the same magic item but new?

Magic to protect your wares? (Sanctify, magic lock, etc)

Polyglot?

What if you could set your sign as a leylines spot, that triggered when you took a torso wound? Get hurt? BOOP back home with all your possessions.

Some manner of disguise, like "I appear to be an elf! Hello friend!"

I like these ideas. I could see this as and added way meechants could grow.

Courtney, the only members of the Rules team who have commented here are Dan, me, Pat, Zach, and Dave -- and I don't see anything crappy in their comments. So if somebody from Rules has been giving you shit offline, or making you feel bad, will you please let me know offline? I'll handle it.

If it's the other players who are giving you crap... well. They don't get a vote. And the Rules team Marshal and Second truly are listening, with an open mind!

I've been holding off on commenting on purpose. There has been a lot of good discussion. The more ideas you guys brainstorm, the more ideas we can use when we make another pass at writing the actual rules.

Idea for Chosen 3.

An ability that extends the duration of spell lengths for everyone within x feet. It effectively recasts spells that have a time duration on everyone in range. However, to add flare it only works on followers of the casters chosen following, be it the seven, the dark three, or draconus.

I am at Geneseo at the moment, but I wanted to apologize to Rules. I didn't mean what I said in the forums to be taken as some sort of an attack. As much as I love the external facebook chats, they gets heated at times. It is feasible my interactions there colored my interpretation of what I read in the forum and through that my post. Any frustration I had has promptly been put to rest.

I am at Geneseo at the moment, but I wanted to apologize to Rules. I didn't mean what I said in the forums to be taken as some sort of an attack. As much as I love the external facebook chats, they gets heated at times. It is feasible my interactions there colored my interpretation of what I read in the forum and through that my post. Any frustration I had has promptly been put to rest.

I do the same thing. XD

This is just a game. We all go to have fun. That is how the cookie crumbles. I feel the tension in some of the posts, I am guilty of not understanding some of the sides. We all just want to improve a game we enjoy. There is no harm in that. I cannot speak of anyone who you may or may not have offended but hey =]

Idk. Everyone wants to be Batman, I kinda wanted to play Alfred for a while.

Merchant 5, have your own NPC butler? XD

Alfred "Strange injuries a non-existent social life, these things beg the question as to what exactly does Bruce Wayne Blagar Lightwing do with his time and his money."

~nothing~ in spoopychat should be taken seriously!

Hence why I don't even go in there.

I wasn't trying to be like "I think Spoopychat is the law," I only meant it might have colored my language to being harsher than I meant. I wasn't trying to make this worse, I was trying to smooth it down.

Not that it's relevant for me, but how does a druid trigger their level 4 ability? Is it no-incant, just start hitting for Primal? Or is there a name for the level 4 skill like level 5's "Aspect of X"

Suggestion for Level 3 Chosen (since there's no list yet): Free spells are boring, how about the ability to remove an affliction Once Per Event (like mummy rot, madweed effects, lycanthropy, etc) via a ceremony of sorts. Basically a theriac/dispel that can remove disease.

Merch 2 was the Status 3 ability since we expanded the RP skills. The real advantage to it is that it provides access to item creation that can cost up to an arguable 19 build to achieve. (10 for 5th lvl spell, 2 read magic, 2 scribe scroll, 5 production). It's a moderately inflated value because you *could* also buy power and cast the aforementioned 5th level spell. Then again, you might not. Some players don't use Revive scrolls often or only bother expending Wraithbane scrolls at night.

There is a power cap in play and you cannot store up unused power. Consumables persist. The 5 from Merch 2 also break cap. A Savant with Merch 2 can make 35 production (5 from spells they do not even possess themselves) if they are clever with their resources and trades.

It's a tradeoff of versatility over dedicated resource application. As powerful as being able to cast all those Disengages? Not quite. But it does give you access to a wide variety of effects if you are a crafty player who thinks ahead.

As far as the idea that Merchant give zero RP opportunity, I disagree. Rather than hand Merchants cash we are handing them superior access to goods with which to barter and sell. They are better equipped to RP the acquisition of cash and goods from other players. If a player wants it, a Merchant can get it for them.

Combining a bunch of salvage items into something one otherwise needs a crafter to spend very limited resources to make is a real advantage in the Craft Point game. If you want to take advantage of this you need to be out there bartering and haggling with players. Do that, and do it well, and you have effectively unlimited Craft Points.

Merchant is the RP skill with the fewest simple GD lasers and the most opportunity to have everything for everyone in the persistent economy game.

I'm looking forward to what the rules team does with the ideas we are suggesting. I am glad they asked for suggestions before they put them in stone for the next year.