Sign in to follow this  
Incogneato

Powefrul music

Wouldn't it be cool if we could encourage our growing band of bards to ply their trade by offering them actual in-game effects for their music? Such as the ability to cast supportive magics through music or something like the sanctuary bubble that orcs sometimes have with their drummer. There are lots of directions one could go with this, those are just a couple examples.

ALSO- I speaking with someone else (I can't remember who) and they had a great idea. Wouldn't it be cool if we had a tinkering item that could be used to disguise a speaker and allow players to play music inside of their encampments?

Thoughts?

I think the idea of giving your party a damage or defense boost would be awesome with the music in the way you described, or at least do enchantment for instruments so "bards" can help their party out in their own way.

I was thinking the same thing today! It would be a great way to get bards to be out on the field or at least have an even greater use! Heck, perhaps music or improving can do certain things, like cast charm or something.

Thumbs up on this thread. Music from bards makes in game PCing more awesome.

They have provided INSTRUMENTS as loot in the past that can do special abilities. Since we don't want to have "character classes" in this system, I doubt we'll ever get powers for playing music as though it were an RP skill, as that comes dangerously close to having a class. But with instruments as loot, this is possible.

Too used to FB looking for the like button.

Some of the instruments would not be lootable right?

Lady Vinyl

So the way that loot works in our game is:

8.1 Treasure Overview

A physical prop represents each piece of treasure in-game, whether it is coinage or numbered items.

All coins & numbered (treasure) items are considered property of KoN.

Any treasure item may be removed from play at any time at the discretion of a GM.

A player may not withhold a treasure prop for any reason, such as keeping the prop for themselves.

All treasure in game can be taken by players in character to steal (in game), keep, give away, and/or use as they see fit.

If the player loses or destroys the treasure prop the treasure is lost to the character.

Players are responsible for keeping treasure between games. Players are required to keep all treasure for their character In-game during their shifts of play as a PC. Treasure may not be shared or exchanged between a player's main and alternate characters under any circumstances.

Players must return treasure if their character dies or if the player plans to leave KoN permanently in accordance with rule 3.4 PC Death & Retirement.

Players in possession of a weapon treasure must maintain it - weapons given as treasure are allowed in-game only as long as they are safe for play.

All non-February Feast props have a limitation on the life of the item. In other words, when the prop is worn out or breaks, the numbered item leaves game permanently.

So unless you've used your own personal instrument during magical item production, and given it a number and had it entered into the database, it's not an in-game, stealable or lootable item.

Okay, I know this may or may not be the right place to post this. Amy and I talked about playing and singing. The way the Inn currently works, it's hit or miss if there's people there. We're thinking of actually playing under the pavillion across from logistics to start to get players to realize that actual musicians exist. I'm collecting songs which have lyrics that will fit and do not need modern instruments to play. We are actual musicians so we're not looking to have bonus stats or anything like that, just to have actual live music. There was an excellent viola player friday night, but other than that, nothing really happened. I do understand, though, if the weather made instrumentalists nervous to pull out their stuff.

Lady Vinyl

The "standards" for medievalist events seem to be Irish drinking songs from like 1800-1875 vintage. Fish and I know a ton of them.