Lady Vinyl

*waves nervously* Um, hi??

Hello, I went and played an NPC at a LARP in Connecticut. I had a lot of fun with most of it and then they cancelled the next event. A friend of mine plays with you folks and suggested my wife and I give KoN a try, so we are going to try it.

While I don't have much LARP experience, I have been playing table top RPG for decades and really really really love the character building. We are planning on coming to NPC for the September event in a couple of weeks. Um, I also have been playing drum set for almost three decades and have gotten my hands on a frame drum as well as numerous percussion instruments (which would work in any medieval/renfaire setting). I am also alright with archery, though as well. Um, I think that's it.

Lady Vinyl

Hello! Welcome to Novitas! My name is Maggie, I'm Marketing and Player Outreach Second Marshal. I'm glad you found us! I'll be happy to meet the two of you at the next event smile.gif. In the mean time, I recommend reading the rules and Worldbook (our lore) to get a feel for our game. http://kingdomsofnov...les-and-errata/

I think you'll be happy with our game. We do use drums quite a bit. Mostly for orc's to charge to. You'll probably have a lot of fun talking about drums with Dave Haldenwang, our Operations and current Plot Marshal. He donated the ones we have and always brings a few himself. We have a cellist, a violist, a violinist, a guitarist, and a pennywhistle player who you might get a chance to jam with depending on who comes/who brings their instrument.

If you have any questions, definitely let me know!

Hey, a drummer! By the sounds of it, a competent drummer! Maybe I can play something else now!

Seriously, there's a handful of fair musicians here at KoN who occasionally manage to get together in-game. I usually bring a doumbek with me, but often other stuff too. One favorite is a 14" tom scavenged from an old set that I covered with leather and coyote faces, and attached an LP claw mount to with an 8" splash, a cowbell, some agogo bells, and a tambourine. :) The game's orcs are also known to have drummers with them, and the game has a couple 22" bass drums and a tom or two that usually herald some kind of horde's attack.

If you wanted to bring a drum of some sort, I'd recommend any kind of hand drum that's not a bodhran, reason being they can't be heard at all if ANY other drum wants to play too. Another doumbek, a djembe, even some bongos or a really small conga.

While I have a full kit, I do not have it set up for looking good IN GAME. oog, though it is great. You sound like you have an impressive set up for game. I've only been playing the boudhran for a couple of months. I have a Siberian version which has bells attached to the frame. *blush* I don't use the bells well so I might have taped them with painters tape so they don't make sound unless it's intentional.

Hey, a drummer! By the sounds of it, a competent drummer! Maybe I can play something else now!

Seriously, there's a handful of fair musicians here at KoN who occasionally manage to get together in-game. I usually bring a doumbek with me, but often other stuff too. One favorite is a 14" tom scavenged from an old set that I covered with leather and coyote faces, and attached an LP claw mount to with an 8" splash, a cowbell, some agogo bells, and a tambourine. smile.gif The game's orcs are also known to have drummers with them, and the game has a couple 22" bass drums and a tom or two that usually herald some kind of horde's attack.

If you wanted to bring a drum of some sort, I'd recommend any kind of hand drum that's not a bodhran, reason being they can't be heard at all if ANY other drum wants to play too. Another doumbek, a djembe, even some bongos or a really small conga.

I have been reading the general rule (my wife has gotten further with them than I have so far). We are both planning on NPCing for the September event. Do we need to sign up ahead of time anywhere or how does that exactly work? I'm still working around with reading the website so I may stumble upon the answer, but I figure it might be safer (and quicker) to ask someone who is "in the know."

Hello! Welcome to Novitas! My name is Maggie, I'm Marketing and Player Outreach Second Marshal. I'm glad you found us! I'll be happy to meet the two of you at the next event smile.gif. In the mean time, I recommend reading the rules and Worldbook (our lore) to get a feel for our game. http://kingdomsofnov...les-and-errata/

I think you'll be happy with our game. We do use drums quite a bit. Mostly for orc's to charge to. You'll probably have a lot of fun talking about drums with Dave Haldenwang, our Operations and current Plot Marshal. He donated the ones we have and always brings a few himself. We have a cellist, a violist, a violinist, a guitarist, and a pennywhistle player who you might get a chance to jam with depending on who comes/who brings their instrument.

If you have any questions, definitely let me know!

I have been reading the general rule (my wife has gotten further with them than I have so far). We are both planning on NPCing for the September event. Do we need to sign up ahead of time anywhere or how does that exactly work? I'm still working around with reading the website so I may stumble upon the answer, but I figure it might be safer (and quicker) to ask someone who is "in the know."

Nope! All you need to do is show up!

While I have a full kit, I do not have it set up for looking good IN GAME. oog, though it is great. You sound like you have an impressive set up for game. I've only been playing the boudhran for a couple of months. I have a Siberian version which has bells attached to the frame. *blush* I don't use the bells well so I might have taped them with painters tape so they don't make sound unless it's intentional.

Yeah, I've never bought my set to game. I DO have a 10" snare drum I bring for some things, and have brought bits and pieces to things before, like a crash on a stand or a floor tom, but not the whole thing, no way to make that be anything resembling medieval fantasy.

Although, I HAVE been looking at foot pedal attachments to hold a riq or pandiero...

Yeah, I've never bought my set to game.

In the context of bringing a full kit, is all I mean. And yes, it slipped my mind that you drum at the inn. I haven't seen you do it in a while. My bad.

I have a full kit. I wouldn't want to see it in the Inn any more than I want to see an electric guitar.

Edit: Sorry, I'm being dense. I get it now.

And

I haven't seen you do it in a while.

We've been on opposite shifts all year :(

Lady Vinyl got me to remember I wanted a foot pedal tambourine dealio, though. Ordered this last night:

R2N0VUp.jpg

I attached my cowbell and wood block either atop my hi hat or off one of the foot pedals of my floor tom. I also might have broke my bass mount for them decades ago. . . *blush*

foot pedal tambourine, huh? What will they think of next.

Heh, this stuff all showed up today, and I discovered I no longer have my single bass pedal.

Another $50 down the drain... :)