Octavius

Best of October

Post em up! New site and new setting. I want to hear what you liked and didn't like.

Well, the drive out to the site was nice, the view was amazing. I enjoy the new location, at least what I could see before it got dark. Mountains and the misty nature was a great touch for the first session to bring my Snow Goblin Tetsu into the game.

I started off having my character wander into the town to be greeted by the Purple Rhinos. I was quickly declared the ugliest Snow Goblin anyone had ever seen, so that is a victory in my mask modification! I explored trying out and maintaining the voice I developed for my character. It was somewhat difficult and made me self conscience at first, but after a little while I think I grew more comfortable with it. I mostly chatted with people here and there and did a few walk around in the town. Purple Rhinos are always a very awesome group to meet first in the game, they always leave a great first impression and make a new player or character feel welcome. The first event also made me reassess my character's makeup and what I can do to make it better as well as what I can do to fit in with the town. overall, thank you to all the people who RPed with me.

Sadly I had to go home that night and wasn't able to be there in the morning. Next event I look forward to seeing what the site looks like in daylight.

((Also, I lost a black, fingerless glove... if anyone found it, let me know.))

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the event (I was one of the newbies). I NPCed the entire event and even when I was tired and sore and ready for bed, I walked over to the GM and asked what the needed because I was actually enjoying it THAT MUCH!!!! The GMs were also very well minded to watch out and make sure we rested and got food and all the important things too. My absolute favorite was being a Buzzer. I'm not sure if enjoyed the part where the two other buzzers walked out of the woods carrying a piece of firewood followed by me with half a tree and watching the player characters eyes bug out and then their laughter OR when we got back to logistics and everyone laughing when they found out whose cabin got blocked in by the wood!!!

I also loved being an Orc and getting to play the drum. I'm going to be honest, I don't enjoying actually fighting. But the I still got to participate and play the drum and rally the troops and be a regroup point after the battles and such (and getting to wake up camp). Honestly, though, I kinda enjoyed when I had seen the rest of the orcs get trounced again, and the rest of the PCs started towards me I just RAN. . . and kept playing the drum while running!!

I even loved when I was doing all the other NPC stuff as well.

My only serious critique is the events of Friday night within the game. As a new player who only ACTUALLY knew one person before the game, it was REALLY awkward. I understand why it happened and how it happened. I also don't know what a typical friday night is like, either. But, considering that most of us nerds are a little anxious around others, it may have been a little much for those of us out there for the first time. However, now that I am totally comfortable with the event and stuff, I'm actually putting a song book together and my wife is even comfortable enough to sing as well.

I know there were other issues which were expecting since it was the first time at this site and they were small, easily forgivable things.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the event (I was one of the newbies). I NPCed the entire event and even when I was tired and sore and ready for bed, I walked over to the GM and asked what the needed because I was actually enjoying it THAT MUCH!!!! The GMs were also very well minded to watch out and make sure we rested and got food and all the important things too. My absolute favorite was being a Buzzer. I'm not sure if enjoyed the part where the two other buzzers walked out of the woods carrying a piece of firewood followed by me with half a tree and watching the player characters eyes bug out and then their laughter OR when we got back to logistics and everyone laughing when they found out whose cabin got blocked in by the wood!!!

I also loved being an Orc and getting to play the drum. I'm going to be honest, I don't enjoying actually fighting. But the I still got to participate and play the drum and rally the troops and be a regroup point after the battles and such (and getting to wake up camp). Honestly, though, I kinda enjoyed when I had seen the rest of the orcs get trounced again, and the rest of the PCs started towards me I just RAN. . . and kept playing the drum while running!!

I even loved when I was doing all the other NPC stuff as well.

My only serious critique is the events of Friday night within the game. As a new player who only ACTUALLY knew one person before the game, it was REALLY awkward. I understand why it happened and how it happened. I also don't know what a typical friday night is like, either. But, considering that most of us nerds are a little anxious around others, it may have been a little much for those of us out there for the first time. However, now that I am totally comfortable with the event and stuff, I'm actually putting a song book together and my wife is even comfortable enough to sing as well.

I know there were other issues which were expecting since it was the first time at this site and they were small, easily forgivable things.

Do you have any suggestions of how it could have been made easier? We generally have at least 1 all PC shift per year and have new players garb up at a townie for that shift. We typically have that during 2nd shift, in October.. With moving to the new site and having everyone else also new to the site and unfamiliar with town and how it worked, we had GM's playing town elders and constables to alleviate the anxiety as a whole. We understand that there were some logistical hiccups, but would really like to know if something didn't work. If you feel more comfortable not getting into specifics publicly, you can send a PM.

I think the problem with the all-PC shift this year was that EVERYONE decided to pack themselves into the Inn for a lot of it. It was loud, and crowded, whereas in Pinedale it was spread out between the various cabins. Also it rained.

EDIT (and relevant): As Dave says below, I believe this to be a one-time anomaly. Forgot to mention that.

Also, our All-PC shift is generally Saturday mornings, not Friday night. This was a "perfect storm" situation that won't likely happen again, so, in all honesty, we're not going to expend brainspace on trying to fix it.

For what it's worth, I think everyone (NPCing and GMs) did an outstanding job in this unfamiliar territory.

The town feels townier. The trails were always stocked with random encounters. It felt more alive than Pinedale was in the "everything will find you at the inn" days of yore.

That said, there was something lacking that became more abrasive as the awe of the new site waned. Effectively, about 50% of the camp is a deadzone with the current "Helix repulsion rules" in effect. By that I mean it exists only as empty space to get from A to B with no interesting structures or points of interest or threat of combat.

I know there will be tweaks and changes to come and lots of adapting will need to be done at the new site, but we have such a glorious field surrounding logistics that it feels like we're under-using a lot of land. I get why. I understand what the intent is. I think we can improve and make more people happy.

I respect those that wish to preserve a "town" atmosphere and want to keep Merchant Town and Maplewood proper a no-monster-unless-crazy-circumstances area. However, I miss the uncertainty of being attacked. The "you will find combat if you go down this path" vs "you will never find combat if you walk towards the inn" kind of bothered me in both a meta and non-meta way. I think there might be a happy medium to be adjusted in future games if we can re-address the absolutely massive radius of the Helix's repulsion effect to satisfy most of the players.

So in short, the event was wonderful and I feel the rest of the potential can be tapped if we can find some compromise with the current Helix effects to allow something of interest to happen (e.g. combat) in the giant field of emptiness between the Inn and Merchant town.

EDIT: I also don't want to just complain without offering some ideas. We could have lesser-artifacts buried beneath the ground that channel and localize the Helix's power within Merchant Town and Maplewood and the Inn. This means the circle of buildings is off-limits for monsters and the "shunned", but everything in-and-around is fair game. We could arbitrarily say every structure within those "towns" has a 'sanctuary radius' for the purpose of repulsion. Same for the Helix itself. It's like "safe" in a game of tag, but making it 200 yards just seems to eat up too much prime space for some really great possible combat encounters.

Alternatively, the Helix could be stronger during the day than at night, so as the sun sets the monsters still can't enter within the circle of cabins at each "town"... but can ambush in the field at night.

Curious to know if anyone shares the same thoughts.

words

The whole thing has been written so that it can be adjusted, and we'll be making adjustments in various ways. However, lots of those will happen as story, rather than rules. We need to establish a baseline of what's normal before we can reintroduce the extraordinary and remarkable.

The bath house out by Elf Town. It is amazing. It is heated. It is clean. The water is hot. I am in love.

The Tvarus-Cooper encampment is only going to get better, and it was pretty great.

Elf Town Coffee Hour, to replace Orc-O-Clock. (It's my PC shift, I'll use it to drink coffee if I want to.)

Ryan Staring brought a digeridoo.

The NPCs who dropped their eyes and shuffled away when Elderwoman Lavinia said "Citizens: Go home" upon finding them harassing Pisceans. And Steve's septon who handled it perfectly.

93 people signed in. The Logistics Team was amazing.

I love this community.

I had an AMAZING time. I wasn't sure what to expect and it sure as hell wasn't this. It was like theater camp and game night all rolled into one. <3 Could there be anything better?

Memorable moments:

During the third Orc battle, as an orc. We were waiting for player characters after one group had ran off. It was me and another girl in the front, crouched by the bushes under a light. I could see a bog-something-or-other gliding over the ground and behind him a row of player characters slowly moving forward. Visually it was stunning. I hear, "What the **** is that?" from one of the PC characters and ALL THE ORCS LEAPED INTO BATTLE. GRAAAAA. My throat is killing me from all the growling and yelling but it was AWESOME.

Friday night the guy in black with the red rimmed eyes scared the ever-loving shit out of me outside the inn. A group of us was listing to Ivan (sp?) brag about his list. There was a minstrel there too playing his Viola. I was a bundle of anxiety that first night. Going out as a "pc" without having a PC character was not really fun for me, but I found a comfortable spot to people watch and eat. Then.... EYES. I might have wet myself a little.

Saturday morning (after Orc Wake Up call) going out as a Wizard Student and getting an awesome class on magic. I wish I remember the name of the PC who tutored us - it was great! I learned how to cast spells, then passed off smacking him with his own sword ("This is barbaric!")

Us four newbies from the Wizarding school went back out as Discontented Maplewooders to voice our discontentedness about the monsters and "Pinedillers". MAKE MAPLEWOOD GREAT AGAIN. Never before have I been SO UNCOMFORTABLE playing a role. And who do we run into first? "Perhaps you don't recognize your Maplewood Elders". Aw shit. Whelp - let's own the character! Maybe modeling after Trump supporters wasn't a good idea, but it certainly got our point across. After making an impassioned argument about losing my sisters to the PINEDILLER MONSTERS the four of us skulked back to Logistics. I'm STILL cringing.

Friday night the guy in black with the red rimmed eyes scared the ever-loving shit out of me outside the inn. A group of us was listing to Ivan (sp?) brag about his list. There was a minstrel there too playing his Viola. I was a bundle of anxiety

Was the person a snow goblin?

Was the person a snow goblin?

I'm guessing, no. He was entirely in black, as well as his face - all I could see was his eyes. He was lurking at the porch by the road tossing coin at the minstrel. I didn't get introduced and was too frightened to introduce myself.

That's Asian Dave. His PC is Daitoro *probably spelling that wrong* he scares a lot of players that don't recognize him yet. And Inn Keepers when they look in dark rooms lol.

I love the town feel that I experienced out in Merchant Town. The cabins are great and really open up a lot of opportunity for encampment. I enjoyed that the encounters seemed to happen more frequently and hooks just kept'a'comin, but we were able to hang out and be townies if we chose without being molested too frequently. My only issue at all this weekend was with how darn far away the parking lot is. It was probably more of an issue for me since I have to go back and forth to Syracuse multiple times during an event to tend to our pup, but GODDAMN it's a hike. I also felt terrible when my headlights came on at 2am Saturday night and were shining into the Ranger's windows.

My most memorable moment was wandering around in the dark with Stan the Bard and Baldisere singing to attract encounters. My voice is completely shot.

I love the space we have in logistics and having a kitchen to cook in. I ate every shift.

I'd like to see the PC's who camp in Maplewood utilize the space more. It was always empty when I walked through as my PC and I can see it having as much potential as Merchant Town, which was amazing. I didn't really get to interact with my neighbors in Elftown because we are on different shifts, but the photos were awesome!

Seeing as I missed last event our big fight/journey from Pinedale I was really looking forward to this event and I can say i most definitely had fun. I love the layout and the inn has an actual inn feel to it, I absolutely loved it. I would however like dren was saying have the helix be a little less restrictive bc I too miss the feel of walking across the dark field and the "keep your eyes open there could be things lurking" mayb during the day the helix protection stays about the same but then at night it drops to only the Jenny the Maplewood cabins and merchant town but not the field that might also entice Pcs who live in maplewood but also want to fight the chance to without having to travel such a distance to fight to hangout around a fire and enjoy their encampments which I'm not a Rhino, but plan to help build up the look and feel bc I sleep there and associate sometimes with them still.

Would still drive to the other camp if I had to its always worth it for novitas.

Best moments as follows although I may be forgetting a few good ones.

1. Daitoro scaring the bejeezus out of a constantly dissapating fey behind the in. Made me laugh till I cried.

2. Walking into merchant town as my first pc ever and being given an incredibly valuable knecklace by Ivan as some kind of punishment to xander (xavier?).

3. Learning from oz about alchemy (I went out of my way to avoid that section of the rules so I could learn as my pc did)

4.running my ass off like an idiot through town unaware that you can walk when feared. (Made for good rp after see 5)

5. Being so wasted from running as hard as I could from elf town to the parking lot that I decided to just get hammered on crimson minotaur and pass out after.

6. Npcing an angry merchant robbed by piscean farmers and trying to convince adventurers to kill them.

7. Being your average delan out looking for a friendly honor duel to the death and getting elfsassinated in the middle of the helix. (Lucky you got a forgiving constable lol)

I had a very good time. It seems like my group is turning a new page. Finally getting back to some of the roots that made the game really fun for me at the beginning.

I enjoyed walking around on the new trails. Not knowing where an ambush could come from is always exciting.

I liked the size of the new Inn. The private rooms are a really really nice addition. I'm sad it's such a hike from the trails.

I always enjoy the energy of our new players. It's fun to see everyone enjoying the game as well. I got to show some new players some fighting tips IC and was told later that it helped.

I didn't like the rain. Metal armor get's rusty and that makes me sad.

Also fighting orks is always a good time.

Rping with Diatoro was awesome! Hats off to you sir....

Seeing my first ghost and being super scared...carried on a conversation with it for a while and then realized what it was....eek! :)

Found my way around fairly well at night and only got lost once but not while being elfy so it's ok right? :)/>

I like the trails and the owls and the eagle I saw! The fox were a bit noisy Friday night but that's nature!

Orcs were fun too! Thanks guys for sticking it out through the brewing storm!! Atmosphere!

I for one had a lot of fun. The location is absolutely beautiful.I enjoyed my new pc Ban the (Insert word here to go with the situation) I wasBan the Smooth, Ban The fortunate, even Ban the Broke (( When I lost all mymoney in bet the pot ) not as bad as Jordan’s10 straight doubles) I really liked the inn though I was sad to see it had nextto none uses after Friday since it seemed the majority of pc was at merchanttown. The woods offer a lot of paths more so than I feel Pinedale had. The signin not being in Logistics was great I felt it kept things smooth as well. Ireally enjoyed sneaking around in the woods at night time.

The only real problems I had was

The radius of the Helix I feel is a bit much- Now I offerthis as an idea to it.

Ifthe merchants want to be safe we can move them to the encampments next to theinn and the people living in encampments there can move to merchant town. This Ithink will help flow pc into the inn again because as I stated I liked how itfelt going in the in on Friday. Felt like a real inn full of characters of all kind. There was music, joking, gambling, and delightful conversations.

Now asto the radius- one thing I’m sad about is the lack of use for the big field inbetween the inn and logistics. What if the Helix (if we don’t want to movemerchant town.) during the day was able to protect it (Merchant town) But atnight the Helix is combating Darkness so it focus its energy to just the inn tomake that safe. This will allow big fights at night to take place in a wellopen area.

If neitherof these sound great, we could always use the road that extends just beforemerchant town and loops around as the new radius for the Helix.

Also maybe a more detailed explanation as to how we are toRP the Helix if you do something bad. I heard a lot of different stories outthere so I am a little confused.

To add to your new player energy( even tho I just broke a yr) I/Ankob deffinatly has been enjoying the rp and learning of the medium abilities he has I.e His 1st banshee this past event.

I had a very good time. It seems like my group is turning a new page. Finally getting back to some of the roots that made the game really fun for me at the beginning.

I enjoyed walking around on the new trails. Not knowing where an ambush could come from is always exciting.

I liked the size of the new Inn. The private rooms are a really really nice addition. I'm sad it's such a hike from the trails.

I always enjoy the energy of our new players. It's fun to see everyone enjoying the game as well. I got to show some new players some fighting tips IC and was told later that it helped.

I didn't like the rain. Metal armor get's rusty and that makes me sad.

Also fighting orks is always a good time.

Merchant town is where it is for the pavilion that will hopefully be developed into a more "Bazaar" style location with wares laid out, as well as the firepit for cooking.

I hope people enjoyed the foods I have available, and if you would like to suggest things for Fin or Spragg to cook you can pm me.

Without futher ado:

Shift 1) I am Fin, I just got hired from Pinedale to maplewood from Omar's hammer to The Spinning Jenny, a handful of adventurers remember my face and garb and tip me well. The atmosphere for the players was great, new gambling hall, private rooms to talk about pregnancies and have a marriage in, and a more Innish feel.

Shift 2&3) Showed up after saturday morning orcs, started my fire to cook, and see a kasvak... sanctuary music boxed so my 2 customers could eat in peace, they were very surprised such a thing exists:P

-Amazing bonding with BC/Ivan as he slept about all day in his chair and breaking bread with their group.

-Befriending buzzers, and their queen, and being well rewarded in all manners of jelly!

-Spraggs Snack shack became a hu of activity for players to rest, eat, await hooks, heal one another, and prepare for outtings. Being a hub in the game draws customers and coin, but also seems a useful function of merchant town.

-Love the showers. Having to shower 3 times over the weekend, it's much better to have high pressure, adjustable temperatures, and less icky floors.

Shift 4- Crazy 4th shift Innkeeping with Fin as head of kitchen.

-BC bought all my pierogies private stock making some salty other customers, but leading to a lavish BC party in the private room

-Extra creepy moment checking back rooms to find the private room slightly ajar with lights off... open the door a little to turn on lights, see Daitaro standing in the darkness with golden eyes boring into me, staring through the crack in the door..... close the door slowly and walk away... quickly.

Overal enjoyed the hell out of this weekend and prefer the kind of quieter night time for cabin, and camp layout