hivemind

Novitas New Year 2017

So, let's talk about Novitas New Year, the new and improved February Feast!

With the move to Hoover, LOTS changes for the winter months! We can now hold events every month except December, so our weird schedule with both summer and winter breaks is done. With that in mind, we're going to move our Staff Retreat to the first weekend in December, and we'll move our big meeting and OOG party event to the first weekend in January, as that's actually our "season opener" now. Feb Feast at VK was always an extremely expensive event; the big lodges at VK cost over a thousand dollars EACH for two nights. Because of that, we always needed to limit FF to, essentially, a day event. That exorbitant cost is gone; Hoover's heated lodges are part of the "whole camp" rate we pay for every event now (that said, the "whole camp" rate for Hoover greatly exceeds what we paid for a normal weekend event at VK.) So now there's no reason to not have NNY run multiple game shifts.

For those that are coming to this event for their first time, this is our fundraiser event, so it is a little more expensive - but we provide a catered meal Saturday night. This meal, and the meetings and stuff that happen after dinner, are all out-of-game. You are welcome to change to mundane clothing if you wish to. After second shift, we're going to clean up Logistics and the Inn entirely, have dinner from Dinosaur BBQ, have a State of the Game address, give some awards, and have two fundraiser auctions.

The first auction is a Chinese auction, where there will be a dozen or so powerful magic items available. You'll buy tickets, then place as many as you wish into a container at each item you want to win. We'll draw a single ticket for each item, and if we pull your ticket, you win!

The second auction is a bidding-style auction. A half-dozen or so extremely powerful magic items will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. In addition to these items, the two bedrooms adjacent to the common room in Fern Lodge will be auctioned off. The winners will get exclusive use of those rooms until we auction them off again in Jaunary 2018. If the bidding reaches $1000 per room, I'll make the adjacent bathroom private for those two bedrooms as well. There will be some persistent magical effects that go along with these rooms too, such as an auto-Magic Lock-ing door.

As this game may be cold, I strongly suggest people consider staying in the lodges, or reserving a room at the Best Western in Tully. The basement of Mark Lodge is available as always, as are the two back rooms in Fern Lodge. The back rooms of Fern, however, must be emptied of all your stuff between 8 PM and 1 AM Friday, and 9 AM and 2 AM Saturday. You may put your things in one of the cubbies in those rooms, however please have some thumbtacks and a piece of cloth to curtain them off if you do.

We DO need to charge more for NNY, just like we did for FF, to cover food costs, which come out to about $20 per person. That means NNY is going to cost $50 per person. Preregistration is REQUIRED if you want to eat. If you don't pre-register, you're still paying $50, but you won't get dinner until everyone else that pre-reged has eaten. There is no a la carte / daytrip only option for this event. This is our start-of-season fundraiser event; frankly, I just want all your moneys.

We have special permission from the GS to have alcohol at this event with the feast. Underage drinking is strictly prohibited (and we really mean it at this site) and I really REALLY don't want to see people puking or getting ridiculous. Keep things under control, please, and be adults.

Occasionally, we try something new at this event. This year, we're going to try having a bardic circle and dancing in Fern Lodge once the party starts. Mark Lodge can be for the loud modern party and party games, those desiring a more low-key evening should move to Fern once the auction is over. Additionally, I know there is a small but dedicated contingent that wants to play board games. Feel free to have board or card games in the back rooms of Fern. If there are people sleeping in those rooms, please vacate them by 2 AM so those people can sleep. As I feel bardic would be weird in mundanes, I think I'll stay in garb for it. This isn't required, but definitely welcome.

Finally, this event is not covered by our "first one's free" policy. New players will need to pay the full $50 site fee to attend Novitas New Year. As this is our fundraiser event, and is significantly more expensive than a normal weekend, we have to suspend the "first one's free" policy for NNY.

-----------------------------------------

Friday, January 6

3 PM: Camp open, Logistics setup

6 PM: Troll open

8 PM: Game on!

1 AM: Shift 1 end

Saturday, January 7

10 AM: Shift 2 start

3 PM: Game end!

3 PM: CLEANUP, ALL HANDS!

6 PM: Dinner in Mark Lodge (Dinosaur BBQ - pulled pork, brisket, chicken, rice&beans, mac&cheese, chopped salad, rolls, cornbread)

7:30 PM: Meeting, awards, and fundraiser auction in Mark Lodge

9 PM: Party on Wayne! (Party on Garth!) Loud modern party in Mark Lodge, quiet bardic party in Fern Lodge

2 AM: Last call, lights out.

Sunday, January 8

8 AM: ALL HANDS Cleanup and get the GTFO out as ASAP as possible

------------------------------------

PREREGISTRATION INFO

Please send your $50 preregistration payments to paypal@mvgc.net. MAKE SURE to include your full legal mundane name. MAKE SURE to use the "Send money to Friends or Family" option in PayPal, otherwise we get stuck with about a $4 fee on your $50 payment. If you have trust issues with using that payment method in PayPal, then pay $55 using the "For Goods or Services" option. If you send us money via PayPal and it costs us a fee, we're going to ask you to make up the difference.

THE ONLY PREREGISTRATION IS A PAID PREREGISTRATION!!

If you cannot use PayPal, then you can pay a Marshal in person, in any way they'll accept (generally, this is cash).

PREREGISTRATIONS END ON SUNDAY JANUARY 1 AT MIDNIGHT.

I will now answer your logically formed, grammatically correct questions.

I imagine BBQ caterers will need more than a days advance notice for food delivery and they usually do pricing per person. Wouldn't we still need pre-reg for at least the feast option?

I think what he means is do we need to send a number to the BBQ caterers to let them know how many people to provide food for? If so, then wouldn't a pre-register be the best way to get that number? We don't want 100 people to show up and only have food for 40.

Guys, thanks for your concern about the food. Operations has it under control.

Guys, thanks for your concern about the food. Operations has it under control.

Translation: we can never have too much barbecue <3 :)

Same way it does every other event, with the exception that if you normally PC or NPC BOTH of those shifts, I request that you do the other thing for one of them.

Actually, I don't care if you just want to NPC them both, but I'd prefer no one PC both of them.

WOOHOO! Tiff and I are pre-registered. We'll both be NPCing both shifts.

Are you allowing vendors at NNY this year? If so, where do you want to put us? Lastly, assuming vendors are allowed, do you want us to register/pay the same as everyone else, or do you want donations for the auction?

I don't know where we'd put vendors. I guess we could give you a single table in Mark, but we all have to eat there. I guess we could put vendors in Fern, but then you're far from everyone.

I don't really know. Where do YOU think we could put vendors?

I'm not really sure either. I didn't know if it was something you'd considered yet. I'm not super butthurt if there are no vendors this year (my sales at FF are almost entirely comprised of custom orders, so it's not going to be a hit to my pocketbook). Maybe we table it until after we see how the first NNY goes? I'd still throw in a gift certificate for my store and offer something for the Chinese auction in either case.

We'd certainly appreciate a donation for the auction, and if you wanted to set up a table in Mark, like, right after dinner for an hour or two, that would work.

I'm a brand new player and could not come in November due to surgery. May I start in January? Or is the New Year Celebration only for current players, and newbies start in February?

Thanks,

Brenia

By all means, attend! I'm told that this event is a GREAT intro, because you get a bunch of time to hang out OOG with the other players and get to know everyone.

I will be at this event but there will be NO SPRAGG SNACKS, as I don't want to dress up for 3ish hours of game play: P

Plan your food needs accordingly ( save room for BBQ).

I did look and i am not sure if I missed it have you ever heard of a game called "Hero Quest" was wondering if you had that

Preregged. I'm going to be bringing a bunch of board games to play in quiet cabin. If anyone has requests, I'll gladly bring things people want.

Take a look and see what you want me to bring: https://boardgamegee...r/TheAuthorOfOZ

HOLY CRAP!! I LOVED HeroQuest growing up! It was the closest that I could get my Dad to play D&D!!!! (Sorry, I'll stop "squeeing" now.)

With the new shift policy of "sign up for your PC shifts at sign in" will we be implementing that for NNY since there's two shifts now instead of Feb Feast's one?

Still on the fence about PC'ing a shift but wanted to confirm if the new process starts this game.

With the new shift policy of "sign up for your PC shifts at sign in" will we be implementing that for NNY since there's two shifts now instead of Feb Feast's one?

Still on the fence about PC'ing a shift but wanted to confirm if the new process starts this game.

Yeah we don't care when you PC. Pick one when you arrive, whatever.

Just preregged, nothing like a last minute decision! Can't wait, heard great things about Feb feast and I'm sure this'll be great!