Sign in to follow this  
Lady Vinyl

The Masked Players Company

Okay, so this is just tossing out an idea because I am about a year from being allowed to bring in a player character (work reasons, NOT game reasons). So, anyway, I would like to start a group that are performers. I would like it to be made up of ACTUAL performers. Minstrels, jugglers, comedians, sword-swallowers, acrobats, dancers, etc. We would set up near town or in some kind of clearing and split the troupe in half so that one half PCs the first half of the event, and the second half PCs the second half. It would be a requirement to put on a 30 minute show during your PC shift. I mean 30 minutes total, not each. So, a dance number for 7 minutes, a bard doing a couple of songs, then another act, then another. Others are more than welcome to watch and we would pass the hat and take a collection. The only caveat is that ALL performers would be required to wear a mask.

The reason for this is because the Masked Players is actually a troupe of assassins, bounty hunters, spies and mercenaries. Our faces won't be recognized on stage since we're masked. There will be plenty of opportunity to take quests/missions/adventures from different folks for the rest of the shift, but it would give us an excuse to travel anywhere and have stories of helping launch revolutions and over throws of power as well as helping a child find their lost kitten in the forest. There will also be a need for stage hands and "bouncers" keeping people from wandering back stage during the show. So not EVERYONE needs to be comfortable doing an actual performance. They just have to be willing to work a show.

This is still a year out and no wear close to set in stone. . . hell, it's not even set in hot wax yet. Would there be A)an interest in people to participate in the show, B)people who would want to come see a show during an event and C)for the LARP to let us do something like this? I'm sorry if this seems like too much, I just kinda think about this stuff a LOT while I'm supposed to be at work. So, thoughts, suggestions, witty remarks? (please be kind)

Lady Vinyl

I totally love the idea. I think it could have some real ground with enough people. Were you thinking Shakespearean troupe style, or something more gypsy?

I can't speak for GMs and how this would affect other NPC plots, but if there's anything remotely like standing up and quoting Shakespeare involved, I'm in.

I'm also always up for dancing. The masks would just add to the fun.

"Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid or something like that?"

"Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."

*giggle* LOVE LOVE LOVE the quote, Lady Kate!!!!!

I'm thinking that it would be something along the lines of Vaudeville or variety shows. I mean, each performer would do something for maybe five minutes each (up to ten minutes if they are comfortable). I was thinking that I would MC the show and do a song in between acts to give time to stage set up and then introduce the next act. I know there are shorter plays (cause, let's face it, doing Shakespeare would probably take a full shift) and if we get people who want to go that route, I have NO PROBLEM doing that as a show.

Honestly, it's supposed to be "cover" for doing all the other stuff. Cause I do not want us turning any plots away BUT, I also don't want to make enemies. I also ENJOY performing, so I would like to work that in. This past event my wife and one other lady and myself went looking for revelry. It was at a time when a bunch of people were out adventuring so it didn't work well. However, my wife and I were singing and did have a few people that wanted to come join us for the revelry, so I think the opportunity is there. I just kinda want to make sure that I'm not getting overly ambitious, you know?

split the troupe in half so that one half PCs the first half of the event, and the second half PCs the second half.

Please be aware that this is specifically forbidden. We've had issues in the past with groups trying to maintain a constant presence and sucking up all available plot and loot.

Okay, so if we don't split the troupe, then, the idea is okay?? So far?

Oh sure, it's fine. I question the idea of letting everyone know OOG that you're all mercenary assassin spies, but that's your call. :)

I'm thinking that it would be one of those "everyone knows, but no one can prove it" type of situations. Also that we do a lot of good. Think about the mob in the 30's. They got away with what they got away with because they donated money to charity left and right and helped people out all the time (so I've heard). So very few people wanted to rat them out.

Besides, it really is going to be several months before I bring in a character, so the idea may change before then as well. ;-)

Okay, so after having a TON of fun being thespian this weekend and talking things over with a very clever woman, I am now thinking that the Masked Players would be something more of a collection of players who want to do some kind of theatre thing at each event. All the members would have different reasons for being part of a traveling group and not necessarily adventure together. This way, if there is a larger play we want to do, we can do it and then go our separate ways to adventure for the weekend. This way, if you would like to do the fun plays and then do something else during the weekend, you are more than welcome to join us. How does that sound?

(and yes, I'm still a year away from being a player character, but I'm hoping that we get to do a play at the events anyway).

So, after much re-writing, this plan is going forward in April. Anyone who wants in, let me know. Thanks.

While I have established my PC (and the inevitable storm of drama that follows in her wake) and will not be joining the troupe officially, I would be very happy to be an audience member and join in on the songs I know (assuming that makes sense for my character at the time, given whatever awful thing has happened in her life most recently).

Well, what happens if a show is on your NPC shift?? wink.gif

I (meaning Thae) shall brood and disapprove from afar. While I (meaning Laura) internally squee in happiness! :)

Thank you (meaning Laura)

Oh, if I'm an NPC, I'm in whenever!