Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Racial Languages

The attached file contains writing samples in Elvish, Terran, Draconic and Snow Goblin scripts. Players may familiarize themselves with the look and feel of those languages if they wish.

Players who have learned a racial language, or are a non-human race that has a language, may request the key from logistics to translate that language at sign-in.

Writing Samples PDF

For my Barbarian character I've been using German. Just to let you all know. Since this was the language that made them be called barbarians by the Romans I just figured it fit.

For my Barbarian character I've been using German. Just to let you all know. Since this was the language that made them be called barbarians by the Romans I just figured it fit.

This is Fine. If you've noticed, the snow goblin PCs have been making up their own little language (between secret lovers). Sometimes we lean towards the camp of "You were the first one to do it, so that's the way we'll do it". Of course if it makes any kind of sense, but we really like it when some flavor is added to the game like this.

I'm just waiting for the earthkin in the poncho trying to sell beans and rice and talking with a thick mexican accent. :D That'll be awesome!

The only thing I would add is that the language can not provide any in game benefit unless given approval from a GM, and probably a marshal at that- for example you cant write something in "barbarian" (German) and have it be unreadable by other PC's unless they happen to know German in real life.

Any little snippets of Snow Goblin I've added have been straight Klingon as I was under the impression that was the language used for it. I think Dave and Drew have added stuff in Japanese or Chinese as well.

-Brian

The only thing I would add is that the language can not provide any in game benefit unless given approval from a GM, and probably a marshal at that- for example you cant write something in "barbarian" (German) and have it be unreadable by other PC's unless they happen to know German in real life.

Well my barbarian can't read or write and I wouldn't mind if other people knew German. It would make sence for people who lived near the tribe lands to know it. There are also other languages that we could have since barbarians are broken up into clans they could have Gaelic or French or whatever they want really. I think someone was thinking about making more Native American language. So it's more for our clan identity.

What Dave's saying is that you can't invent your own game mechanics. You can't decide that suddenly barbarians have a racial language that other players can't understand that exists as a game mechanic. You can't say "We say in Barbarianoid..." then expect other players to play along with you the way we're supposed to for the canon racial languages from the rulebook.

You CAN invent your own actual, spoken language (like we're doing with the Snow Goblins) and use that to communicate amongst yourselves. We're doing this in Tuq vo' Ying Hwa because it feels more "real" to us than the whole "We say in Snow Goblin..." mechanic.

There's an excellent translator online for Drowish (dark elf language) and using the "letters" from the elvish for you guys chose, it's possible to not only directly translate word-for-word maintaining grammer, but to write it AND speak it. I wouldn't mind using the drowish translator for elvish. There's an elvish translator too but it just doesn't have as wide a vocabulary. If any of the elves in game are up for it, here's the link to the drowish translator.

Basically, as with the snow goblins, it wouldn't provide any "bonus" really. I just like any excuse I can get to spout obscenities and get away with it. I have a feeling Rennorrae's going to have a lot of opportunitties to do so.

"Vith!"

http://www.grey-company.org/Maerdyn/resources/translator/

Also, this is a really cool font for windows that is actual "english" letters, just heavily disguised as "elvish". It's worth checking out.

http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2554

Which I should add, makes it a heck of a lot easier to write into drowish. Otherwise with regular Quenyan, you have to kind of "transliterate" certain letter and vowel combinations and it's just a big mess.

I was really impressed with some of the things players were doing this June event. One person in particular had put a lot of work into activities and equipment that had no in game benefit beyond improving the atmosphere and his roleplaying.

So I got to thinking...

My character is keeping a written record of her findings on the various cultures (especially cultural conceptions of nature). I roleplay that she cannot yet read or write common, though she has found a teacher. Therefore, her notes are obviously written in Elvish.

My first thought was to create a writing system for this use - an intricate prop at best. I came up with an interesting list of ideas. However, upon checking on the forums I found that there already is a system in place. But the Tengwar key I was able to find on the internet turns the writing sample to gibberish. In the topic post, there is mention of a key. Is there anyway I might get my hands on that before the next event?

If you have the language skill and wish to make use of the language, PM me to request it and I will email you the correct font.