Sign in to follow this  
Arcturus

A few unrelated questions

Hey guys, just a few random questions I've been wondering about. They're kind of parsed out over different things so i didn't know what sub-forum to post under.

1) If I have a crafted sword that has damage calls built into it (i.e. a 20 point marshal weapon with goblin iron/nature), can i enchant it with something like silvershine in order to be able to pick from any of the three calls on my blade? Or does the enchantment overrule the other damage calls?

2)Who do i talk to about getting one of those sweet leather potion racks? I'm specifically talking about the kind people wear on their belts, arms or upper thighs.

3)I need help painting a goblin iron/nature weapon and i need to know what kinds of paint and sealant to use for best quality. Its an epicarmory if that helps.

4)I'm thinking about building a small passive buckler with tools i got for Christmas. I understand size requirements but if someone could pass along any tips on core construction/safety i would be very appreciative. I'm under the assumption a thick foam lined piece of painted plywood is insufficient.

5)Does anyone play Magic: The Gathering at NNY? I've never been to one and it sounds like a great time! Very excited!

Ok, that should be everything, thanks in advance!

1. I summon Pat Lane

2. Normally Agincourt Arms (Kyle or JC), but I'm not sure if they have time.

3. I summon Dave or Kyle

4. https://sites.google.com/site/kon0unofficial0rules0wiki/home/rules/9--traps/7-5-shields

HEYO

HERES SOME ANSWERS YO -

1] You're on the right track. Any weapon material spell (silvershine , Mageblade,Creeping rot ect) can be added to any weapon, and its effects are just added to the weapons existing abilities for the spells duration.

2] Talk to me! I'll send you a pm

3] this is tricky because weapon painting requires alot of variation , given that almost every brand of weapon takes paint different. I will pm you in depth about this but for those reading this and are curious -

Clean the weapon with alcohol

Option 1 - Base with a Spray glue and then apply a plastidip coating . Option 2 - simply apply acrylic pants straight onto the surface(I recommend not very thick coats. Option 3- A few layers of liquid latex, then Paint

each option works well, some better than others. keep in mind in this cold season effects curing times so read labels. I personally either go with a PD route or simply add paint directly to the sword

the Props team is currently working on some painting tutorials but miniature painting techniques like dry brushing and washing are helpful.

As for sealing, its a tricky highway. Most people seal their weapons with ThroughTheRoof roofing sealer, thinned down with mineral spirits to the consistency of maple syrup. I sometimes skip this step if the paint seems to be holding its own.

WARNING- make sure you do this in a heated area, with lots of ventilation as this stuff is both nasty , and doesnt cure well in the cold. it also may up to a week to cure fully so dont rush this before game.

4. For bucklers you have a few different material routes you can take but there are a few rules you need to follow

-your material must be rigid and not flex . a little bend is okay but if i shake it and it wiggles, thats a bad. I suggest plywood, 2pieces of luan board, aluminum sheets, or some serious thick rigid plastic.

- The edges of the shield should be covered with some sort of rubber or plastic tubing before applying foam. while this is not required, the easiest way to edge a shield is to edge it first with tubing, then pipe insulation. (lowes is great for this)

- the shield edges and front should be smooth do the touch and seem to be sturdy enough as to not rip off easily in combat. Many players solve this by making a cloth cover to cover both the front and edges of the shield. this can be glued on or fastened mechanically. Paint can be applied over a piece of duck cloth very easily and this is my recommend method for beginners

-For strapping, an old belt or even a canvas strap works wonders when fastened securely. Players have also used drawer and barn door handles.

5. I dont know about this year because its a full game weekend but im sure you can find somebody! lots of us, especially the veterans are old time Magic players.

That was tremendously helpful! thanks!

I heard that there will be people playing EDH sometime after our auction fundraiser, so certainly feel free to bring what you have!

I play Magic, I have both a standard and modern deck. Plenty of others also play magic so we can duel each other at NNY to see who gets sent to the shadow realm.