Sign in to follow this  
kyle egert

Colder Months and you.

Its getting colder, keep these things in mind.

WOOL SOCKS .

Cotton freezes , don't bother . One pair of pure wool is just fine . Blends aren't evil either . Pack extras , weather and wet happen.

WATERPROOF YOUR BOOTS .

Store bought waterproofing , neatsfoot oil ,Snowseal, mink oil works best . Get it done tonight and out of mind .

WINTER LAYERS

Long underwear , thermals , leggings , whatever you need to keep warm . As long you can hide it under garb I don't care what you wear but PLEASE dress warm . It wouldn't be unheard of for me to pull someone aside because they thought a single tunic was going to get them through a shift with nothing else on in 30* weather . Don't try it.

GLOVES

This is a big one . Please choose leather or non descriptive fabric gloves . Knit gloves if you have no other options . These are IMPORTANT . As someone with frost bite in both hands I can't stress this enough . You mess it up once , it'll stay with you forever I promise .

REMINDER

JUST BECAUSE ITS COLD DOESN'T NULL OUR GARB RULES . It's not hard to cover your cold weather stuff with garb and for most of you veteran players , your gear IS your cold weather stuff . In past seasons I've seen plastic gloves , modern winter boots , very very modern knit hats and the like . These are grounds for getting pulled from the shift pretty quick .PLEASE keep this in mind . It's easy , it just takes a little more planning

-props and atmosphere

If you need help coming up with ideas to disguise your layers, acquiring appropriate winter gear or just have concerns , I'm always available and would be happy to either asist you myself or refer you to another marshal!

Thanks !

Snow seal works best on a hot sunny day to re-waterproof your boots, but bringing an extra pair will get you pretty far (1 pair for each shift).

Snow seal works best on a hot sunny day to re-waterproof your boots, but bringing an extra pair will get you pretty far (1 pair for each shift).

I just use a heat gun. :)

Neither neatsfoot oil nor mink oil will waterproof boots.

Seconded.

Neatsfoot and Pure Mink will condition the leather and prevent cracks/reduce wear. Some mink blends have a high wax content which will help with water resistance.