Sign in to follow this  
TheSilentOne

Hello World

Soooooooooooooooo Im totaly a living example of why you realy should read the wiki before visisiting a larp blink.gifwink.gif.

Sometime last year I was invited to try larping. I've always been a big fan of the fantasy world but never tried this before. In my mind, (not knowing much on larps and roleplaying) I was like heck yes.... and read very minimal on what to expect *** Palm meets face***. Yes lol I realize this was a very big mistake, although I still had a lot of fun.

Good side story… Had a hilarious encounter during my first time. I was supposed to roleplay a farmer along with two others, my “sister” and “brother”. My brother had just been attacked by some werewolf like looking creatures and my sister ran off for help while I hid… wow what a great brother I was lol. So my sister brought help and we are saved. Hooray! Me being the noob that I am thought that's where it ended, NOPE! The PCs wanted to know what we were doing, where we came from, and ……. OUR NAMES! Yep this is where I froze. He wants to know my name? I wasn't told what my name was, I thought to myself lol. I paused for what felt like eternity and all of a sudden….. Fred came out. Who in their right mind has the name “Fred” in a fantasy world. Who has 8 fingers and 2 thumb pointing at himself, THIS GUY lol. I think just about everyone broke face and chuckled inside. Oh well the game must go on lol.

Overall I did have a blast even though I didn't get to stay the whole time. Im hoping this time, March 3-5, I’ll actually get a chance to play as a PC. Still working out a few kinks in his background but almost there.

Hello! I'm glad you're giving us a second shot. I remember my first game (before the newbie speech was a thing) I was sent out as a bard collecting stories. The PCs wanted to know which exact bard college I was from. Totally fell apart there, haha. It happens though. It does take a bit to adjust and even us long time players get caught flat footed.

If you have any questions about anything, please let me know. See you in March!

Hope you enjoy Maplewood, it's different than Pinedale. Plus, My Snow Goblin could use a friend to drink Tea with!

Plus, if we are playing as Yebs again, we can use those hours of waiting to keep working on the background of your character before the PC shifts start for you.

Welcome back!!! We all make mistakes. and we've all gotten to laugh about it later. I, myself, am CONSTANTLY tripping over rocks and my own two feet. It happens. Glad you enjoyed it enough to give it a second shot!!!

My first "on my own" NPC role was a bandit disguised as a wench. I though it'd be funny to ham it up, but when I got to the tavern I totally froze up because Everyone Was A Real Person. Ha. I barely spoke and the one thing I stole I gave back when it was asked about. Facepalm. Good experience though!

Hope to see you in game!

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring a new character into this world? I'd like to be a faekin that is half wood elf and half dark fae known as a Quickling. Im looking at this character living in a state of yin yang, constantly fighting between the light harted wood elf and the dark intentions of the Quickling. His mentality is that of a monk harnessing both sides equally.

But I'm kinda having a hard time integrating him into the world. Any ideas where he may have come from or how he got to Maplewood? Thanks for any help you guys can give :-) .

For those not sure what a Quickling is here is a link for some lore.

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Quickling_(3.5e_Race)

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring a new character into this world? I'd like to be a faekin that is half wood elf and half dark fae known as a Quickling. Im looking at this character living in a state of yin yang, constantly fighting between the light hearted wood elf and the dark intentions of the Quickling. His mentality is that of a monk harnessing both sides equally.

But I'm kinda having a hard time integrating him into the world. Any ideas where he may have come from or how he got to Maplewood? Thanks for any help you guys can give :-) .

http://dungeons.wiki...ling_(3.5e_Race)

Well, if I am wrong, then I am sure someone will correct me, but a Faekin isn't entirely half and half, usually it just means someone at some point had a child with a Fae in your family lineage. Though if you are doing half and half, then I don't think I'm experienced enough to give insight on that.

Faekin usually hail from various places and are known to have wanderlust.

Elves on the other hand come from the Great Forest or Elevandra I believe. Wood elves think well of Faekin calling them "Fae Touched" as somewhat of a compliment. Faekin are welcomed in Wood Elf communities, which if your character is Elven, you might consider them having come from the Great forest. If it is Elevandra, then they would be a high elf, though I do not know what the High Elves think of Faekin.

Regardless, Elves would have some issues with the Snow Goblins, Whether high or wood.

A Faekin is not trustworthy to a Snow Goblin and Vlean seems to have issues with them as well. So there is a lot of versatility with your original idea, fine tuning it should help as you RP them at the event.

My first shift as my PC included virtually every adventurer group assuring me the other adventurer groups were going to kill me on site for being a gershian. This was my first in game experiences, and so rather shocking that I may just die game 1 for my character race:P.

One year later and they all eat out of my hand(literally), many would defend me, and they pronounce my name 11 different ways.

Persons without a place in the world often wander the freelands. A Quickling that was shunned by his Elven famly for perhaps reminding too deeply of their shame inherent to the Snow Goblin race may be wandering around maplewood for it's relative safety while looking for where they belong. In certain Elven societies each person has their role to play and a community to serve, and without a community to belong to, perhaps you are looking for one, and maplewood loosely resembles civilization. Just some loose ideas, your character should stem form you :)

I agree with the previous two people, faekin are not usually half and half. . . though, if that is allowed, that would be interesting how often your ancestors had relations with fae. AND people are a LOT more accepting within the Freelands, than one might expect. . . sometimes. I found, (and my character is not coming in until April) that I started with deciding on what they do. By that, I started with deciding how they earned money in order to live and went from there. A lot of the details of my character (you can read the early entries of my blog for Priscilla) are actually used to explain my own limitations for my character (much of those first entries are actually more biographical than readers probably realized). The thing with this game (and many LARPS) is that you have to perform the actual action that your character does in order to be successful, so you may not want to stray too far from your self. Start there and decide what you would like to do and where you want the character to go.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring a new character into this world? I'd like to be a faekin that is half wood elf and half dark fae known as a Quickling. Im looking at this character living in a state of yin yang, constantly fighting between the light harted wood elf and the dark intentions of the Quickling. His mentality is that of a monk harnessing both sides equally.

http://dungeons.wiki...ling_(3.5e_Race)

This is really something to ask Rules about, but in my experience we don't allow "half" races in the way you're describing it. Elves, humans, and Terrans can be Faekin in addition to being their "base" race. In D&D terms (which I'm guessing you're familiar with), it's kind of like applying a template to a monster so you get "undead ogre". I also believe that it's required that faekin be a single color. Again, this is something that the Rules team can officially weigh in on. I think that if you wanted to use this D&D race as inspiration and come in as a black or white and play the prankster/mischevious/struggling with your nature type of character, that's do-able for sure. You could even tie it into common lore about Fae - your great-great-great-great granny was charmed by a Boggert (a fae trickster) who bedded her at a village festival.

I'm sorry for not responding yet. I had a whole idea all typed up that I was working all day. I hit add reply and then it vanished. I was sooooooooo mad. This time I'm typing it in word first lol. I'll repost it here within a day or so.

Thanks for your patience, I didn't want you to think I was ignoring everyone. I really love all the ideas. I think I came up with pretty good one.I'll post it and let you guys tell me what you think ?. Good or bad I accept all comments for what they no hurt feeling here lol.

Happened to a lot of us at one point or another. I look forward to seeing the story your have created