Teyvahrukt

Drake Inquiries

So, I'm planning on making a Drake as my first character once I've attended a few events. Since I like to be over-prepared, I'm trying to get a good design down to go by, and I'd very much appreciate if anyone could weigh in on a few questions I have. I apologize if these were answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find answers through my own research so far and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ^^

Firstly, are Drake characters required to cover their hair with a hood or cowl? Or is hair an allowed feature?

Secondly, I read that their garb can be eclectic, but are there any features, besides cloth quality and types, that are specifically related to their race? Things like certain motifs or real world influences?

Thirdly, I also noticed on the wiki that there are only four colors of Drake listed (white, brown, green, and blue). Are other colors, or mixes of the above colors permitted?

These are the main three, and I'm fairly certain that a bunch more will come as I continue to develop said character. Again, I'd really appreciate any help so that I can keep my design within the rules.

EDIT: Another silly question, but one for flavor purposes. Does the Dragon Language for Novitas have its own script?

I'm relatively new and don't know all these answers, but I applaud and support your enthusiasm! We need more Drakes in game!

I'm guessing you've already seen the Drake PC in the photo gallery on the main website? He's the last photo, bottom right, the photo in black and white.

My guess is hood or cowl preferred. But I can't​ speak in an official capacity.

Hello. I'm Dustan from props and atmosphere.

1) I am going to copy and paste a comment from Dave H. regarding drake costuming rules

The rules pertaining to Drake costuming are:

Drakes

• Drakes are dragon-like humanoids.
  • Drakes have no homeland, but live together in monasteries and enclaves throughout Novitas.
  • Each individual Drake exhibits a dominant color, which is indicative of what type of dragon they are descended from.
  • Drakes venerate Draconus, and acknowledge the other gods, but do not worship them.
  • Their costume requires a reptilian or amphibian facial prosthetic with make-up to blend it with the skin.
  • All exposed skin must be covered or made-up to match the facial prosthetic.
  • Their clothing tends toward ornament and rich fabrics such as velvets and brocades, and can be from any background, as Drakes have enclaves and monasteries in every land.
  • Costuming Difficulty: Very difficult and expensive
  • New players desiring to play Drakes are encouraged to seek guidance and advice from players who have previously done so.
  • All Drakes gain Racial Language: Draconic for free at first level.

Drakes are designed to be our "high effort" non-human race. Drakes require more prosthetics and makeup than any other non-human race. The only one that comes close is Snow Goblins, but it's very possible to play a "low effort" Snow Goblin very successfully (I did it for years).

Past Drakes have either worn full face and head prosthetics, or full-head masks, in addition to lots of makeup. A simple snout is not sufficient. A Drake should be immediately apparent, even in low-light or other sub-optimal viewing conditions, as a non-human.

There is nothing written about hair, and I have seen pictures of drakes with hair, so you should be fine there.

2) The drakes I have seen in game have very commonly wore robes. Searching the forums for past pictures might help with this. I apologize I do not have the time at the moment or I would help find some pictures.

3) The worldbook has more information on the colors. I suggest you take a look there. To answer your question directly no you are not bound to those 4. http://www.mvgc.net/larp/worldbook.pdf

I'm relatively new and don't know all these answers, but I applaud and support your enthusiasm! We need more Drakes in game!

I'm guessing you've already seen the Drake PC in the photo gallery on the main website? He's the last photo, bottom right, the photo in black and white.

My guess is hood or cowl preferred. But I can't​ speak in an official capacity.

It was certainly one of the two races that immediately drew my attention (the other being Snow Goblins, as they remind me a lot of LotR style orcs). I just hope that I can pull it off well. I did see the one in the photo gallery as well, very cool.

Hello. I'm Dustan from props and atmosphere.

1) I am going to copy and paste a comment from Dave H. regarding drake costuming rules

There is nothing written about hair, and I have seen pictures of drakes with hair, so you should be fine there.

2) The drakes I have seen in game have very commonly wore robes. Searching the forums for past pictures might help with this. I apologize I do not have the time at the moment or I would help find some pictures.

3) The worldbook has more information on the colors. I suggest you take a look there. To answer your question directly no you are not bound to those 4. http://www.mvgc.net/larp/worldbook.pdf

Thank you very much! I can continue the design now that I have more research material xD Here's hoping it comes out well!

Hair depends on how you want your drake PC to be seen by others, in my eyes. Do you want to be more alien and dragon-y (no hair) or more of an anthropomorphized dragon-woman (have hair)?

My goal is for more of an uncanny valley effect, though that will all depend on how well I actually manage to create the face. I hope to have some kind of rough draft drawn up soon.

Please do share, I'd love getting to see what you come up with biggrin.gif

Ceilidh is an experienced cosplayer and a lovely human being (and quickly becoming our go-to Terran face gem making expert); as you're designing and experimenting, she'd be a good sounding board. (Still talk to a Drake player, in addition, of course.)

We've had less PC Drake players in thirteen years than I have fingers on my right hand (hint: I have all five). It's a hard race to play, by design.

I'm one of those drake players that did a whole head mask. While my mask is technically grandfathered in as "ok," I've retired it and elected to have my drake "molt" and come back with prosthetics. I'm opting to go with a baldcap as it allows me to do similar ridges and horns as the original mask had.

Garb-wise, I believe influence is wherever you want your drake to come from. my character is from the mountains on the Western side of Gersh, so I went with a sort of Skyrim robe, lots of layers of wool and linen and some embroidery that covered most of my skin. I meant the character to be played mostly in the winter so it worked. Also gloves - easier than constantly touching up the paint on hands.

The fun of playing a drake is being able to establish your own clan/coven/monastery/what have you. There's a lot of possibilities with the remnants of the Drake empire that spanned most of Novitas.

I'm one of those drake players that did a whole head mask. While my mask is technically grandfathered in as "ok," I've retired it and elected to have my drake "molt" and come back with prosthetics. I'm opting to go with a baldcap as it allows me to do similar ridges and horns as the original mask had.

Garb-wise, I believe influence is wherever you want your drake to come from. my character is from the mountains on the Western side of Gersh, so I went with a sort of Skyrim robe, lots of layers of wool and linen and some embroidery that covered most of my skin. I meant the character to be played mostly in the winter so it worked. Also gloves - easier than constantly touching up the paint on hands.

The fun of playing a drake is being able to establish your own clan/coven/monastery/what have you. There's a lot of possibilities with the remnants of the Drake empire that spanned most of Novitas.

That is close to the route I want to go. It's more of a half-face mask, gloves painted to resemble bare scaly hands, and makeup on the skin that isn't covered. I got the idea from a costumer I follow on another site who makes realistic critter masks.

I actually do have sketches so far of my plans for her main outfit. I wanted to go for something that would suit someone fresh from a monastery, though I did base it on traditional Indian clothing. It's not final by a long shot, but its a start.

med_gallery_928_58_36021.jpg

And here is a more detailed look at the mask:

med_gallery_928_58_87956.jpg

This is all very early design still. I'd love any criticism on the designs if possible.

It's a good start, very similar garb to what I did (although I have a long bocksten tunic as a base) and there's plenty of mobility there.

I did a hard color to match (white) painted leather mask with a balaclava but I didn't paint on mine, so hopefully it'll work better for you. I would advise with your mask material that it be something you're comfortable getting accidentally knocked in. Head shots are illegal, but accidents happen, and I wouldn't want hard plastic/resin shattering near my face. I did leather, others have done vinyl or latex masks.

on the glove idea, you might want to cut the last digit and paint your fingers so you can have some grip/dexterity, because if the glove is supposed to be your hand, you can't take it off to fish around for some coin, or to eat. I use thinsulate fake leather gloves and I constantly have to remove them to pick up coin etc.

I intend to play as a blue drake (my hair is dyed, so I figured I might as well run with it while I still can), but thanks for pointing out the mistake on the sketch xD That little note should've been changed to urethane rubber, since it's a flexible material. I just hope that I can get the hang of mold-making and casting before hitting this project (the most I've done are small pendants in resin so far).

For the gloves, I will be using a method I saw for a Weeping Angel cosplay. Basically tights turned into gloves. I will be putting scale detailing on it with puff paint, and latex finger pads for grip. If I perfect the method I intend to share in case anyone is interested.

Ah, that would be better!

And let us know about the glove trick, I'd be happy to be rid of my current ones.

How do u intend to attach the mask to your face??? Can't really read your notes in the sketches. Alot of people have issues using adhesives like spirit gum because they sweat it off and if you use a strap or something similar you will need to conceal it at all times.

Probably by a strap, or a modified balaclava. That part is still up in the air and probably won't be finalized until the actual mask is made. Gotta see which is more comfortable and sturdy, after all. And the notes are more or less about fabrics in the former, and materials in the latter.

Alrighty, another silly question. I have in my possession a pair of Sufi pants, the kind you see at the various Moresca booths at Renn Faires. These pants are at least five years old, give or take, and I have worn them around the house in all kinds of weather before. Seeing as the Matisse stripe pattern is woven into the fabric, would these count as appropriate for the setting? I'm only asking as they are something that I already own, and could possibly use as part of my eventual character's outfit.

Alrighty, another silly question. I have in my possession a pair of Sufi pants, the kind you see at the various Moresca booths at Renn Faires. These pants are at least five years old, give or take, and I have worn them around the house in all kinds of weather before. Seeing as the Matisse stripe pattern is woven into the fabric, would these count as appropriate for the setting? I'm only asking as they are something that I already own, and could possibly use as part of my eventual character's outfit.

Do you have a picture? That would help us greatly in determining whether it will pass.

I don't have a picture of myself wearing them, but I do have the link to the online store where they are found in the off season: Sufi Pants

Again, no big deal if they aren't appropriate. I just wanted to double check.

I actually did consider using that kind of face prosthetic, but I'd prefer something that can be removed or put on in a pinch if need be. It's why I'm trying to make more of a formfitting mask, because it would either require little makeup (if a half-mask and cowl) or none at all (full mask and cowl).