Incogneato

Wouldn't it be cool if we replaced one of the less used compulsion spells with a Blinding spell?

15 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • GTFO the forums and study, asshat.
  2. 2. Is Stun a lame spell?

• Nope, I use it all the time on idiots like you who don't expect it
    • Maybe, I see it used now and then
    • Yep, I would never waste 4MP on that crap

So, instead of focusing on my studies, I've been skulking around the forums.

Kato's review of Knight Realms was nice to read. I went and checked out their rulebook because I have absolutely zero impulse control. While most of it was rubbish, I did find myself enjoying a few of the spells that they had in their arsenal.

In particular- I enjoyed their blinding spell. It was under a tree they call Illusion, which is most similar to our Compulsion. Basically- When you get hit with the spell, you "Go blind" for the duration. I take this to generally mean you close your eyes until dispelled or whatever.

I really really like this from both a gaming and an RP standpoint. Acting out blindness is something that is SUPER easy to do, way simpler than fear or really any other compulsory RP that we ask people to engage in. It would also provide compulsion with some much-needed combat utility (in b4 "Compulsion isn't a combat-focused school!").

My suggestion would be that stun is replaced with Blind. It's a spell whose MP cost would justify the effect and, perhaps I'm alone here, but I have NEVER seen stun used. I've seen pin used a dozen times because ultimately it's a BETTER version of stun. Stun wears off the moment you attack someone. You can pin someone in a fight and run circles around them. Sure, Stun prevents them from retaliating at all, but if you can't move your feet in our game, you are more or less dead to rights. Worried that your pinned opponent will cast at you? Silence for another 2 MP.

Tl;Dr- I believe that replacing the Stun spell with a Blind spell would swap out a spell with little IG utility for one that provides a massive amount of both utility and RP potential.

(Think of all the neat Plot devices!!!)

My suggestiong is to get back to your school work!!!!! You disabled Facebook for this exact reason!! CRIPES!!!!! (*mumbles something about wife doing the same damn thing*)

My suggestiong is to get back to your school work!!!!! You disabled Facebook for this exact reason!! CRIPES!!!!! (*mumbles something about wife doing the same damn thing*)

I'M WORKING ON IT.

I'M WORKING ON IT.

YEA, SHE'S WORKING ON IT

*giggle* The two of you. It's like trying to herd cats. . .

Alright, so I'm gonna bite and be the devil's advocate.

I think that it would be dangerous in a combat situation to cast this because you are fighting blind and have the potential to hurt not only yourself, but others. Stun can certainly be an offensive spell if you want to go that route. You have 10 minutes to recover and plan against your opponent before it wears off naturally, or get the first hit one them while they are down. As for the spell's use, it may not be cast often, but some creatures have the ability to stun their enemies (this happened to me literally last event).

If you really wanna blind your opponent, stun them, knock them out, then scoop their eyes out with your dagger or something. *incoherent mumbling about a jar of eyeballs*

EDIT: I am by no means trying to crush dreams here, but I'm thinking of the worst case scenario of what could happen.

Right, I completely agree that concessions would need to be made for combat. Things like, you can only defend when blinded, or that you have to step out of combat a few paces before "going blind". Nobody should be wildly swinging their weapons when blinded. Even if it means nerfing the combat utility of the spell, I still think it's worth it.

I still think that there is an incredible utility in this spell that would make it more useful to most players than stun is.

Honestly, I feel like lvl 4 compulsion spells only do a great job of serving monsters.

For players, they both serve the simple task of stopping something from attacking you. That's something that can be handled by many other much less expensive spells (disengage, dissipate) and those spells aren't negated by the multitude of baddies that are immune to compulsion.

Edit:clarity

I actually think this is an idea with potential, and I'd put it at level 2 or 3.

1. Love your enthusiasm.

2. Go back to studying.

3. I've heard of this (even coupled with a Dizziness, spinning in a circle for ten seconds) at other larps, so it's not the case that this is totally impossible.

4. On the down side, safety. I would not be comfortable with anyone in any combat, even defense, with their eyes closed. It just seems a really good way for someone to get accidentally hurt. And then we'd need a doctor. And you won't be around all summer, so then what'd we do? (PS. You should study.)

5. For a non combat situation, I don't see a problem with blindness, as long as the PC stops moving before closing their eyes. This could make for interesting RP, when maybe you know someone stole from your encampment but you wouldn't have seen what they took and couldn't describe them to a constable or maybe they do sneak up on you and steal something off of you and then you don't know who took it or maybe they used that time to poison your drink, take your items, and secretly kiss your wife, their undercover accomplice- who knows?

6. I don't know much about Stun, so I don't think I can compare it, but I was forced to choose maybe on your poll because I wanted to vote that you should go back to studying.

7. Good luck studying! We'll be here when you get back after your exam!

It seems too dangerous for our live-action combat oriented game.

I also want to point out that Knight Realms' blind effect doesn't actually make the player close their eyes it just forces them to fight defensively without using skills or other spells (or something similar to that effect). That player then needs to role-play being blind. We already have spells in Compulsion that do similar things such as disengage and silence.

My most used poison is Poison Stun. Its great. It takes someone out of a fight. Sure, if you have friends they can hit you to wake you up, but thats still taking away body, Distracting the enemy, Having them react. Compulsion at high levels is all about Crowd Control and turning the fight to your side and ensuring victory. Also, the spell can be spellburst to great effect. It literally wins a fight before it starts.

Oz soloed a FatKazvak one time First or second event at Hoover. Spent 8 coin, Poison Stun, Poison Cursed myself (Becasue I need to have 2 legal hits with Goblin Iron) Poison Curse Kazvak, Tap, Tap. Stun is Fantastic if you fight smarter and not harder.

question on your poison stun vs magic stun Guile, even if you've been hit after a poison stun so that you can move again, are you still "poisoned" for the sake of healing being ineffective?

That's a Pat/Dan question. I'm not rules. I don't think so because they are not poison damage. But a poison effect. Same with how I belive mind blank doesn't stop a poison compulsion effect. Do not take either of these at face value though unless rules confirms or denies them as I'm sadly not 100% on the interactions.

for all poison effects (stun fear pin weaken etc etc etc), when you remove the effect you remove the poison.