Sign in to follow this  
Rob Mahardy

Kingsley Scout Camp Director

Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself, reach out and welcome the group to Camp Kingsley. I am Rob Mahardy and currently in my second stint as Camp Director at CK. I worked here from 1989-2000 in several roles then recently came back in the summer of '16. I was excited to hear recently that you were going to rent out the camp as your new home. I seem to remember way back that there was a SCA type group that came in annually. We also do themes for our summer resident scouts; one of my favorites was always knights which coincidentally I was already bringing back as the theme next summer. I think our facilities, campsites, woods, lake and stream will offer themselves up to you for some creative fun.

I wanted to also offer my support to the GMs for things like encounter location ideas, resources of the camp, etc. There are trails both trodden and not so, clearings, outpost sites, and a couple old foundations.There are plenty of types of trees, plants and small wildlife (and of course insects.) and we're adjacent to lots of state land. Also the stars and end of summer meteor shower can sometimes be amazing with so little light pollution.

As a couple of OOG notes: the cell service is sketchy for Verizon, a bit better for AT&T. There is a small market/gas station about 5-10 min north on Rt. 26 in West Leyden (usually they have decent subs).

Please feel free to contact me at romahard@scouting.org for camp stuff or ramahardy@netzero.com for anything else.

Again I wish you good gaming. And who knows, if my schedule allows, I'd love to maybe help out as an NPC some weekend in the future. I've never LARPed but did plenty of table-top RPG stuff "back-in-the-day", some of it in the very buildings you'll be using.

Rob M

Hi Rob, this is Dave. Happy to have you come test the waters as an NPC if you'd like, it's a lot of fun. The best relationship we ever had with a camp was when the director was also a player.

For the rest of you, a friendly reminder that all official communication with Rob should happen via me or Dan or Jimmy. :D

Hi! My name is Maggie, I was one of the people who toured the camp a few weeks back. We can't tell you enough how much your support means to us. We're so happy to start our journey at Camp Kingsley and can't wait to see what lies in store for the future!

Hey Rob!

Congratulations! I was the Executive Director of the Vanderkamp Center (where Kingdoms called home for over a decade before this recent search), and I can say without qualification that KoN was the best user group we had among the hundreds I served there. They took great care of the property, were respectful to all of our needs, always paid promptly, and even helped us with several big projects to make the site better for us and them.

A word of warning, on this:

"And who knows, if my schedule allows, I'd love to maybe help out as an NPC some weekend in the future. I've never LARPed but did plenty of table-top RPG stuff "back-in-the-day", some of it in the very buildings you'll be using."

I said pretty much the exact same thing, and I went from twilighting as an Orc a few nights, to rolling a PC, to helping rewrite the world book in a few years after.

Either way, you should consider yourself lucky that they've landed with you at Kingsley, and I envy you for having the opportunity to get to know these special folks a bit better. Happy to chat at any time if you have any questions - just email me at james@dfsr.com :)