Guest Nessa

New to LARP, but very intrigued

Guest Nessa

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the area and to larp in general. Someone on Reddit pointed me towards this group and from a quick perusal of thre website it looks great. Just popping in to introduce myself and ask if anyone had any tips for a complete beginner. 

If possible I'd like to take part in the November event.  

Someone from Player Outreach will respond soon with lots of advice, but I'm just here to say: all you REALLY have to do is show up. We'll coach you through a first event, complete with new player orientation and however much hand-holding you need!

Hello! My name is Maggie. I'm the Marketing and Player Outreach second marshal. What I always suggest to new players is to read the rules and the World Book to get a quick idea of what you're getting yourself into. It's totally worth it :) both of those can be found here http://kingdomsofnovitas.net/players-corner/rules-and-errata/

If you have any questions at all, please let me know. Welcome!  

Welcome!

I'm Kate and started larping with KoN in August of last year, having never LARPed before or done anything like this. I moved to New York a few years ago and when I came my first time I only knew one other player at KoN (my ride to the event). I always loved fantasy novels and movies and imagined myself in those worlds, but I had no idea there was a place where I could actually enter an immersive fantasy experience! It's so incredible that KoN exists and once you see one event, you'll start to see part of the incredible dedication players and staff have to making this world real. Everyone here really cares about immersion.

I have had a great experience with the friendly people in this community; I feel quite adopted!

After reviewing the rules and world book- try checking out the blogs! I find the blogs a fun way to stay hyped between events.

Making a PC (mine is a human named Ellenor), really adds to the experience of attending events, but there's certainly no rush to make one right away, you can come and NPC for as many events as you'd like before bringing in your player character (waiting also lets you stock up experience points, so your PC can come in with more skills). NPCing is fun and is like being backstage in theater, changing garb, going out as a minor character with a mission or quest for the players (or being a monster or creature or just adding local color) and then coming back to the logistics building and changing garb again and going out as something else! PCing is a more immersive experience in plots and you build relationships with other characters over time as you improv act your way through scenes and encounters; it's so cool. I love it.

There's very few things you need to bring to your first event, the main website has a recommended list.

If you have any questions, just let us know! I have high enthusiasm and am a fair reference guide, but I will defer to Maggie for questions that require actual knowledge and experience. :)

Hey there, I'm Shane, the Marketing and Player Outreach Goblin. Welcome to the forums and we're glad you came. If you need any help with finding some Garb, equipment, etc. There are plenty of people here to help you out and point you in the right direction.

A big thing for just learning about the world is checking out our worldbook, it's filled with lots of information on the world, it's different races, it's cultures, etc. If you find yourself reading through the worldbook and looking for just some more info about the world, check out the blogs. It has a wide variety of characters that offer a unique perspective on the world of novitas and it's inhabitants.