Guest Solgryn Varlux

Saw KoN at the con.

Guest Solgryn Varlux

Nice to meet you, I'm Sol.

Actually, we may have already met by now. Hard to say. I do prefer to stay in the background until the moment is right. The shadows make a good place for an oracle and fortune-teller like myself to sit.

I'm hoping to attend the October meet. Going to prepare and lurk around until then. Probably ask a few questions. Happy to answer them, too.

((I've done a lot of RP but this will be my first larp. Really excited to get a taste of the setting.))

Welcome to the forums, Maggie will be along shortly to welcome you and give good recommendations for you to check out, usually including our world book as well as our rule book.

I am the Minion of Marketing and Player Outreach, so welcome aboard!

Hi, my name is Maggie. I'm the Marketing and Player Outreach Second Marshal, good to see we made an impression at the con (Scare-a-con? Robercon? We do a lot of cons).

October is going to be a really fun event, hope to see you there! If you want to get a feel for the setting, I recommend reading the Worldbook. It's our guide to the world of Novitas. You can find that here http://kingdomsofnovitas.net/players-corner/rules-and-errata/.  Also on that page I recommend checking out the rules to get an idea of how it all works. It'll seem a bit overwhelming, but I promise that it's not.

I'm definitely always available to answer questions if some come up. If, not, we'll see you in October!

4 minutes ago, Solgryn Varlux said:

Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome. It was Robercon, by the way, heh. Gonna peruse those links.

If it was Robercon, I probably did meet you. I was the ginger with the warpaint. Definitely go through the playable races and figure out what applies best to what you'd like. I can answer questions about those. I'm guessing you'll either like Snow Goblins or Drakes. Those both can have horns.

8 minutes ago, Maggie / Baevynn said:

If it was Robercon, I probably did meet you. I was the ginger with the warpaint. Definitely go through the playable races and figure out what applies best to what you'd like. I can answer questions about those. I'm guessing you'll either like Snow Goblins or Drakes. Those both can have horns.

Oh nice, yeah, we met. Reading about the races now. Are half breeds allowed? You're right, I do like the Drakes. I think a diluted red Drake would be right up my alley to land at orange, and more humanoid, but I'm not looking to make any hard rules bend for my sake. What do you think?

2 minutes ago, Solgryn Varlux said:

Oh nice, yeah, we met. Reading about the races now. Are half breeds allowed? You're right, I do like the Drakes. I think a diluted red Drake would be right up my alley to land at orange, and more humanoid, but I'm not looking to make any hard rules bend for my sake. What do you think?

Unfortunately we do not do half races in Novitas

Honestly I'm looking at faekin now, since I was already going to wear some crazy hair color and contacts anyway. They sound like a good mesh with my character. Are there any explicit tips you would give an aspiring fae kin wanderer? The guide was a little more vague with that race than the others.

Honestly I'm looking at faekin now, since I was already going to wear some crazy hair color and contacts anyway. They sound like a good mesh with my character. Are there any explicit tips you would give an aspiring fae kin wanderer? The guide was a little more vague with that race than the others.

Faekin are definitely more open than the other races because there is no explicit culture for them. My first tip is to figure out which country you want your faekin to be from. Some countries are more open than others to the faetouched. For example, Vlean would rather see them all dead, but the Great Forest is rather appreciative. The other thing you'll want to figure out is what base race you want. Would you like a human faekin, Earthkin faekin, or elf faekin (wood elf, high elf, or neither)?

I'd like to add that you're under no obligation to PC your first event. If you decide not to (or even if you decide to), I can introduce you to some of the current faekin and you can chat with them about what they've done. I have a recurring pink human Faekin NPC, but I've only been playing her for about a year whereas Tammy (Raven here on the forums) has been playing her purple wood elf Faekin for almost eight years.

Aw, that is actually really helpful. Thanks double. I'll be happy to get whatever info I can from you guys. Still really tempted to try PC right off the bat, but maybe it is better to hold back a little. I'm glad to hear you can make multiple characters. Might be a different person the first time to get used to things.

15 minutes ago, Solgryn Varlux said:

Aw, that is actually really helpful. Thanks double. I'll be happy to get whatever info I can from you guys. Still really tempted to try PC right off the bat, but maybe it is better to hold back a little. I'm glad to hear you can make multiple characters. Might be a different person the first time to get used to things.

https://sites.google.com/site/kon0unofficial0rules0wiki/home/rules/3--character-creation/35--character-amnesty

You're also allowed a character amnesty which you can read about here

Nice, thanks.

Is there a character form to fill out somewhere? Still looking for that

You'll fill out a character sheet on site when you decide to start playing your character. You can peruse it here: http://kingdomsofnovitas.net/players-corner/rules-and-errata/

Is that what you mean?

Perfect. Thanks again for your time.

You're very welcome. I'm always around

Hello and welcome! I'm Kate, Marketing and Player Outreach Handmaiden.

I like your enthusiasm; I think you'll find you fit in well here.

A friend introduced me to KoN, which I thought I'd try "just one time", over a year later I'm still here and this community feels like family.

I PCed my first event (because I thought I might never do this again and wanted to get the full experience for my "just once"); my player character was a simple, naive human I figured I could walk around as, just being friendly and introducing myself and asking questions and then I could change her with character amnesty afterwards if I needed to. 

If I had known I'd enjoy this hobby and this community so much and I had had plans to do a more involved character (garb and backstory wise), like a Faekin, I'd have probably waited and done one event all NPCing (using it to watch and ask questions in and out of character about other Faekin backstory and garb) and brought the character in after that. 

If you do come in as a PC on your first event, you'll only have xp for a very few, low level skills (I took first aid so I could identify what was wrong with the injured and a point or two of body so I wouldn't die after one hit) this was fine for my naive human girl, but I couldn't have walked in on day one saying, I'm a great and talented fighter/magic user/druid/medium, etc, because I wouldn't have had the character skills to back that up. The more events you NPC, the more xp you'll build up, which helps in case you want to come in with a more skilled character.

I look forward to seeing you at the October event! 

My character just married an Inquisitor in Vlean who hunts down Faekin, so you may not want to make friends with me in character, but out of character, find me any time and I'll be happy to help! I have a waist length brown braid and I'm getting more and more pregnant by the day, so I should be easy to spot.

PS. After the world book and rules, make an account and check out the blogs (under browse on this site) to get an idea of the types of characters in Maplewood and their "voices". I enjoy the blogs immensely. 

Kiba the snow goblin (Shane/Warblade on the forums) has a great blog (The Apostate's Journal), his most recent stories are crossover rp with Caitlin's character from her blog The Journey Home. You can read their last few blogs back and forth to get the fuller story.

A Joy to Behold (written by Katlyn/Provolonely on the forums) is one of my favorite blogs. Joy is a fortune teller and Draconus Worshiper and her story is gripping!

Mercy is a citizen of Maplewood and her blog (My Dearest Sam) gives you an idea of the different tone of kind, lawful, pastoral Maplewood citizens versus the wild and rough Pinedale adventurers who relocated to Maplewood last year.

Awesome, lots of new stuff to read. Happy to see a suggestion to NPC first as well, I honestly think an NPC role would suit me overall and it sounds exciting... and I did read that you need NPC garb as well so now I can put together a second costume. Nice.

Being weak doesn't bother me though. This character is reasonably developed on paper but hasn't seen much play and certainly isn't a master. I'm actually looking forward to how they grow (or die?) while I'm being them in game. (They were conceptualized as a dnd/pathfinder character.) I'm likely going to write up their mindset, skill choices and rp plans tonight. Really stoked about it!

Will post more in a bit. Thanks again.

Great!

And don't worry, it won't be just one NPC role for you! There are four shifts (Friday 8pm-1am, Saturday 10am-3pm, 3pm-8pm, 8pm-1am) and within every shift you'll be sent out repeatedly as different NPCs.

NPCing is fun and is like being backstage in theater, changing garb, going out as a minor character with a mission or quest for the players (or being a monster or creature or just adding local color) and then coming back to the logistics building and changing garb again and going out as something else! 

When you have a good handle on the world of Novitas and are ready, PCing is a more immersive experience in plots and you build relationships with other characters over time as you improv act your way through scenes and encounters; it's so cool. 

I love both NPCing and PCing. If you've done RP before, I bet you will too!

I'm interested to give it a shot. Still reading all the lore. There's a lot of it.

Gotta figure out how to get a cloak or two done by next week too.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.