Sign in to follow this  
kikitrys

Transportation

Heyyyyyy. My name is Kiara. I'm as new as they get to the Larping world. Me and my friends are really excited to join this larp in particular. We definitely have a lot of questions but as of right now our main concern is transportation. We live in Rhode Island, and the drive is over 4 hours by car. We aren't set on driving, we are thinking about a train ride, but we were wondering if any out of state larpers have any tips on how they get to this location, since in Google maps it seems to be, in a sense, in the middle of the woods. Uber? Taxi? Is there a bus that heads that way? thank you in advance!

Hello there! I'm Amanda, Plot and Continuity Second Marshal. Someone from Marketing and Player Outreach should be around shortly to make more formal introductions and answer any questions you have about the game.

Now, I'm not originally from the area. I came to central New York to attend college and Syracuse University, like most universities, didn't allow freshmen to have cars on campus, so I learned a fair amount about alternative transportation options. That being said, my information is potentially about a decade out of date.

A train would definitely be your most comfortable option. Buses can be crammed and smelly, but definitely more economical. Either way, you're going to want to pack smart. Syracuse is a major train hub, but Utica also has a major train station and is the major metropolitan area closest to our game. From there, you could call a taxi and specify that you probably need a van for all of your friends and the items you'll be hauling. Ava, NY is about a 40 minute drive from Utica and and hour and ten minutes from Syracuse. You could also choose to rent a car/van/SUV/truck and pick up at these train stations. I know the Syracuse RTC at least has one rental car company on site.

Honestly, however, I would recommend you just do the drive. My experience is that there is a lot that can go wrong when you rely on public transportation, moving parts, and the logistics therein. If it's possible to split gas, tolls, and drive time, it really would be the option that would give the least headache for the experience.

I hope that helps!

1 hour ago, NoMereButterfly said:

Hello there! I'm Amanda, Plot and Continuity Second Marshal. Someone from Marketing and Player Outreach should be around shortly to make more formal introductions and answer any questions you have about the game.

We've already been talking through the facebook page :)

You can take a train or bus to Utica NY. I'll pick you up there. After the first time, you can decide if you want to drive the next time. Honestly, lots of people drive 3-5 hours to get to games, it's not that big a deal. Hell, I'm gonna drive six hours to an event this weekend - and just made plans to drive nine hours to an event in April.