Sign in to follow this  
Gil

The real fear

You decided to go for a stroll into the woods with your companion. A few min in you hear tussling from a near by bush. Cautiously you approach, curious as to the source of the rustling. You edge closer and closer, all of a sudden BAM fear. Your companions sees the Bagman and fights. Victorious he notices that with two minutes you only moved 100 feet. 

SO so let’s be real here no one actually sprints through the woods or field when feared. 

Would it it be cool if we remove the running part and replaced it with a cower in fear. Everyone metagames the fear as is.  I have seen it. You have seen it. It is what it is so maybe we should change it. 

Then what is the difference between Fear and disengage?

2 hours ago, Lady Vinyl said:

Then what is the difference between Fear and disengage?

Fear: you’re incapable of performing any actions out of fright. 

Disengage: you can preform actions but must keep a x distance from the person who casted disengage on you. 

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, what you're asking is that we change the rules cause people do not want to be excluded from a battle? .

14 hours ago, Lady Vinyl said:

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, what you're asking is that we change the rules cause people do not want to be excluded from a battle? .

No. I’m suggesting this change because of the following: people really don’t run like they are suppose too. They slow half step till they are blunted or maybe “run into a tree”so they are knocked out and don’t have to run. Some people meta and run towards their friends so they blunt them down and some are willing to just take a torso wound instead.  So basically since it seems the majority of players are refusing to run away for 10 min away from the sources that feared them, maybe just changing fear to allow cowering in place scared out their mind would be a better alternative. 

Or we remind people that this is cheating and tell them to stop?

I vote for MK's solution.

I'm going to second MK's solution.

Actually I like this. We'll talk about it in Rules.

If it worked this way what would be the benefit over casting Stun, the same level Compulsion spell? I thought Fear wanted people to run so you had the option of forcing people away from the combat.

Stun makes them hold still. If affected by Fear with a cower effect, rather than a "run away" effect, the Feared person ain't gonna stand there while people with weapons surround him. We'd write it so that you could choose to cower, or choose to run. 

On 5/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, MKW said:

Or we remind people that this is cheating and tell them to stop?

Flee at best possible speed until the effect is gone. Our playerbase is playing it correctly most of the time. I don't know who you are rolling with, but reminding them in a firm way would be in order.

That's how you avoid cheating.

1 hour ago, hivemind said:

Stun makes them hold still. If affected by Fear with a cower effect, rather than a "run away" effect, the Feared person ain't gonna stand there while people with weapons surround him. We'd write it so that you could choose to cower, or choose to run. 

If they choose to cower they prolly ought to drop all their weapons or anything that makes them hostile. It would be a surrender kinda thing, methinks. Something to make up for the not running, since it would be markedly easier to get you back into the fight as an ally.

Even then, this is an action game and if you play you are taking the chance you've got to run sometimes. 

I like this suggestion to the fear rule. I believe it would improve the atmosphere of our game and still take you our of the encounter for 10 mins. We already role-play this way when we are trapped in a building...

Remember that Fear effects end when struck, too. If the person Feared just has to cower in place, it's a LOT easier for a friendly to stop the Fear. 

The fear effect does not to away once you are struck. It lasts 10 minutes until dispelled or removed through a different source like smelling salts. Just clarifying that here.

From the wik (http://www.kingdomsofnovitas.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Spells.Fear)i:

Fear Calls

The fear effect causes its victim to flee in terror from the fear's source doing anything necessary to get away. Fear lasts for 10 minutes or until the fear's source attacks the target.

A victim that is hit by fear is so gripped with terror that they must flee without hesitation from the fear's source until the effect ends. The victim is not permitted to hide behind an obstacle or another player to avoid the fear's source, they must flee and continue to flee with all possible speed.

If others try to block the feared player, the feared player will attack friend or foe without mercy or restraint in their attempt to continue escaping. The victim will flee even if it means possible harm or death. For example a fleeing victim would run straight into a pit if it were the only viable avenue of escape. It is legal for the fear's source to chase after the target forcing them to continue running if they feel it is necessary. If for some reason all possible means of escape are blocked, such as in a locked room, the target will fall to the ground helpless and should role-play digging through the very floor to attempt escape!

If at any time the fear's source attacks the fear victim the effect immediately ends and the victim is free to act as normal. Other characters may attack the fear victim without ending the fear effect though the victim is permitted to attack back if the attackers are blocking the victim's route of escape. The fleeing victim will not stop to make use of magic objects or spells while they are running; they must wait for the fear effect to end to do such things.

The fear call never inflicts damage.

Unless modified by another call (such as poison) fear is a compulsion spell effect.

Fear is a great spell for crowd control.  Three player characters stumbling on a large group of bandits can fear some of them to thin them out.  Cowering or running away - either way - fear takes the target out of the battle for 10 minutes until the caster attacks the target.

8 hours ago, PatLanicus said:

The fear effect does not to away once you are struck. It lasts 10 minutes until dispelled or removed through a different source like smelling salts. Just clarifying that here.

Shit when did that change?

53 minutes ago, hivemind said:

Shit when did that change?

A few minutes after he posted that he went to the wiki then asked me where I got the info for the current wiki. I said the old wiki so he double checked there and said I was right.  In summary Pat was wrong but didn't come back to correct it.  

Edit: err I guess it's a partial, since the fear IS broken by the source, but not by others.

3 minutes ago, RyanG said:

A few minutes after he posted that he went to the wiki then asked me where I got the info for the current wiki. I said the old wiki so he double checked there and said I was right.  In summary Pat was wrong but didn't come back to correct it.  

Edit: err I guess it's a partial, since the fear IS broken by the source, but not by others.

So - in a way, it's better to run, because if you cower then you're essentially a sitting duck for whatever feared you.

Yeah should've clarified it's the source of fear that needs to hit the person to break the spell. It's friends can still pummel you to death while you are terrorized.

But on that note, we've been playing bagman wrong for a long time. When they fear a person then proceed to kill/blunt them down.

When I was a bagman, I used it for crowd control.  I wanted them out of there cause they weren't our target.  That's also how I've seen it used when I was the hook.

Maybe a compromise between "run away for 10 minutes" and "cower" would alleviate the metagame crap while keeping the intent and usefulness of the spell in tact?  Maybe run away out of line of sight of the encounter then count to 1200 (20 minutes = 10 running away + 10 coming back) before returning to the encounter area.  So treat it as being essentially OOG for 20 minutes, but out of sight and not able to rejoin the encounter.  Allows for crowd control use of the spell and keeps people from having to run away forever while maintaining the flavor of the spell we've always had.

i am all for the cowering thing. i am old, i am slow, and i am broken. also for those that wear heavy plate and stuff they will be completely gassed and near passing out after the first two minutes of running.