Sign in to follow this  
Gil

Coming in not blahhhh

Currently  we start with 2sp + 4 ( sp= skill points) and go through a 5xp per lvl till lvl 10 system. Which then transfers into the actual 10xp per lvl system. 

Would it be better for the game/ players if we just made lvl 1 sp points equal to lvl 10 and do away with the 5xp per lvl thing. 

The reasons i think it would be better is the following:

6 sp vs 26sp

As in any game we want the players to feel unique. Allowing this change allows newer players to come in with a entry lvl of what they want their player to be. 

With 6sp you don’t have really any options other than maybe 1-1, maybe an RP skill, a dribble in production or just a pinch of a magic and mp. Which sounds all like your entry lvl but it also removes you form a lot of gameplay since u don’t really have the means.

ALlowing the 26 points upfront let’s our newer player feel all that more important. It allows them to be involved in more rp or combat due to having more skills. Could creat more in-depth backstory. Really define their pc early on.  It removes this needless early grind. We want the newer players to really feel involved from the start. Not after the reach x lvl.

I know for me the 5xp into the 10 exp made me feel like ughhhhhhhhhh. But if we remove that system and go with 10xp per lvl we can remove some needless math and that daunting relalization that the game is gonna slow down a lot for your pc. 

granted Ed there are ways for bonus exp but not all new players can do them. 

Idk what do you think 

But you don't have to come in at level 1?  I came in at level 15 I think?

I came in at like level ten ish. Just NPCed for a few games, did set up and take down.

I think that letting someone who is brand new and has no earned XP from set up, break down, sign in, NPC shifts will allow people with NO experience in this world have skills that they aren't going to understand.  It's part of the reason that I NPCed full events for so long.  So I could UNDERSTAND the world/culture of Novitas.  If you're not willing to put the time and energy into understanding what is going on and how the game is played and what seeing a fae or Dellin or Inquisitor or bandit means, then why should you have the skills when you wouldn't have the basic knowledge.  

I remember thinking this same thing when I first started playing Novitas, "Why not just have new players start at the useful PC level?"

I did full NPC duty my first event which allowed me to come in at lvl 3-4 with my first PC. He could swing for 2 with a great weapon, had 2 body...that's it. I didn't even have the ability to cast magic spells until a couple events later. I remember being in awe of the higher level players that could cast all the 5th level spells, swing for 4, and tank entire mobs by themselves (back when Shadowskin was more broken and you could swing for 4 with a shield). Man, I wanted to be as cool as those guys. If you want to be cool and higher level, you have to put in the time and effort into the community to lvl faster.

Eventually I retired my first PC and brought in Kato, who started off as a battle magic spacket caster. I started at half the levels I was with my first PC and over time had to re-configure this character into what I wanted him to be when I discovered how ineffective I was at tag bag casting. After about 7 years of playing Novitas and sticking with the same character for about 5 years, I can swing for 4, have 20 power, am a master of a school of magic, have a couple epics, and the ability to take on an entire mob of orcs on my own if played properly. 

Every player at Novitas either started at a lower level or came in at a higher level after multiple full NPC events and put in more work and effort into the community to level faster. I think it's fine the way it is as our progression system is designed to encourage players to participate in the Novitas community more. 

2 hours ago, Kato Gallowsbane said:

I remember thinking this same thing when I first started playing Novitas, "Why not just have new players start at the useful PC level?"

I did full NPC duty my first event which allowed me to come in at lvl 3-4 with my first PC. He could swing for 2 with a great weapon, had 2 body...that's it. I didn't even have the ability to cast magic spells until a couple events later. I remember being in awe of the higher level players that could cast all the 5th level spells, swing for 4, and tank entire mobs by themselves (back when Shadowskin was more broken and you could swing for 4 with a shield). Man, I wanted to be as cool as those guys. If you want to be cool and higher level, you have to put in the time and effort into the community to lvl faster.

Eventually I retired my first PC and brought in Kato, who started off as a battle magic spacket caster. I started at half the levels I was with my first PC and over time had to re-configure this character into what I wanted him to be when I discovered how ineffective I was at tag bag casting. After about 7 years of playing Novitas and sticking with the same character for about 5 years, I can swing for 4, have 20 power, am a master of a school of magic, have a couple epics, and the ability to take on an entire mob of orcs on my own if played properly. 

Every player at Novitas either started at a lower level or came in at a higher level after multiple full NPC events and put in more work and effort into the community to level faster. I think it's fine the way it is as our progression system is designed to encourage players to participate in the Novitas community more. 

Well said!

So 1st level is free.  Write a backstory and submit it - now you're level 2.  Buy some period appropriate shoes for like $50 and bring the receipt - now you're level 3 (AND HAVE BOOTS!).  Spend like $50 on some small encampment things (candles, blankets or tapestries to cover your bedding/totes, etc.) bring receipts - now you're level 4.  Make and donate some tagbags or purchase enough requested donation items to get another 2xp (I forget the ratio we use now for tagbag donations - 20/1xp?) and sign-in at your first event - now you are level 5.  Level 5 is gives you 14 skill points to spend, which is really enough for a first timer who isn't as familiar with the system yet.  It gives you some basic skills that will be useful as you continue to build your PC and figure out what you want to do.  

I'll add that half the fun for me when I started was planning "what next" with my PC.  It kept me pushing towards goals, finding new ones, and allowing what I thought I wanted for my PC to change as she grew organically.  Things happening IC pushing your healer more towards combat?  Well, now you can express that through taking some combat skills as you level.  

I am one of the few that started this game pcing my first ever shift and at level 2 at that. It was a challenge and I regret doing so because I should have at least npced beforehand. That isn't because of my level that I regret starting at that point. The reason I recommend people npc at least their first shift is to figure out how the game and fighting/survival works a little better than on paper. I also suggest practicing fighting beforehand if you are planning on fighting for your main roles. As well, I suggest finding a group of people that aren't as low in level to help support you as you grow in level until you can support yourself. That is why the under 20 rule exists. More power in numbers et cetera. Starting at level 10 is not necessary and very rare. If you are choosing to start at level 1/2, that is your choice, it is not forced. 

Gil, you might be forgetting what it was like to be a first-game newbie. First game people generally have NO idea how things work, mechanically or thematically. This is why we require people to NPC their first shift. Giving them even MORE things to need to remember seems like a terrible idea. 

If you're thinking about alts or new PCs for existing players, remember that you retain half your levels on death or retirement. This is specifically to address what you're talking about.

Also, for entertainment value, and comparison, here's where we STARTED with the game's XP progression, 15 years ago:

origxpcurve.jpg

I loved coming in at level 1! (I tell every new player that) It made me think on my feet and make friends. It gave me that fear factor and it maybe me want to give back to the game we all use so I didn't suck. Join a work group and volunteer!