Sign in to follow this  
Kane - Drexel

New to Larp ...and upstate NY

My name is Kane. I recently moved to Syracuse.

I've always loved role-playing. I've played D&D online and on table-top since I was twelve. My passion for role-play started when I first went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival at a young age. This past weekend I took a trip to the New York Renaissance Festival and that quickly reignited my desire to get into LARPing. A few google searches later and I found the Kingdoms of Novitas.. And here I am.

I've already started designing a character, bookmarked the rule book and world book, ordered a good pair of boots, and started searching for fabrics and costume patterns! I plan to attend one of the events as an NPC to start and get a good idea for how the game works. My next two months are pretty busy, but you can expect to see me there in October!

Hello! Welcome to Novitas! My name is Maggie. I'm the Marketing and Player Outreach Marshal here at Kingdoms of Novitas. So glad you've decided to join us. You're incredibly on the ball in terms of prep which is awesome! I'm gonna throw my two cents in and recommend linen and wool for fabric choices. They're a bit more expensive than cotton or synthetics, but trust me, it's worth it. 

Let me know if you have any questions about anything. I'm online rather frequently. See you in October!

I was already planning on making a woolen full-circle cloak. Will look into layering natural fabrics to account for the weather and character background. 

What sort of clothing would you suggest goes best as a base to build NPC characters on? I would like to have a separate NPC outfit that's flexible enough to look good in all the possible roles I'd need to play.

Another question that popped into my head while reading the rule-book: Is it acceptable to do a whole weekend as a PC? I'm thinking along the lines of playing 2-3 NPC only weekends for each PC weekend I'd play. Either that or doing the seemingly standard 2 shifts NPC/ 2 shifts PC.

I can help with the basic npc garb question. It helps (especially in the winter) wearing some black under armor or a black under layer so you can change easily into other outfits. As for what you wear over it
_ Simple plain toned peasant tops. 
_ Simple harem style pants
You can mix and match these with all of the other many tops/bottoms/skirts/vests/etc we have for npc garb. Just having the base in neutral browns/tans/earthy tones works well.
I'd delighted to met you and play with you.

I'm not quite sure why the forums didn't alert me that you replied! Ceilidh pretty much got it when it comes to NPC gear.

You must NPC at least half the game. PC only isn't a thing we do for balance reasons. Two NPC shifts/two PC shifts is the standard.

I'm going to add to this.

Simple pants that are cheap and last a long time are scrubs. I have several black pairs that still see NPC use from when I first started. Just remove any visible pockets with a seam ripper. Get ones a little large and they go over warmer pants for winter.

Tops - ceilidh mentioned under armor or similar. I just want to add, your permit lted to wear whatever modern things you want, especially in winter, to keep warm. However, and this is VERY important, it CAN NOT be visible. Even just a neck line.

It is for that reason I highly recommend a hood with a good mantle. Google skjoldehamn hood. There's a few good patterns.

Again, as I said in my other post to you, I am happy to discuss anything related to this. If you want help with fabric choices, patterns, anything garb related, let me know.