Sign in to follow this  
Kane - Drexel

Foam Smithing - Is this tutorial acceptable?

So, I found this tutorial (this is only part 1/4) while looking into crafting either PC or NPC weapons. The plan is to make 10 - 15 different blades of multiple lengths and styles. I think this can easily comply to the guidelines in the rules for melee weapons as long as proper measurements are taken, mainly on the non-striking sides of the core. Is this an acceptable way to craft a blade for KoN?

All striking surfaces should have a minimum of 5/8 inch of closed-cell foam. All non-handle surfaces of a weapon should have a minimum of 3/8 inch of closed-cell foam.

A follow up question- 

Any weapon with a flexible component or which strikes primarily with a punching motion of the arm rather than a swinging motion is forbidden.

Does this mean that rapiers style blades designed for stabbing and not slashing are against the rules?

On 8/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, Kane - Drexel said:

1: Is this an acceptable way to craft a blade for KoN?

2: Does this mean that rapiers style blades designed for stabbing and not slashing are against the rules?

Hi there!

I'm Dan, the Rules Marshal.  We've got another department for looks (Props & Atmosphere), and Dustan or his team can chime in looks-wise.

1. This looks similar to a lot of other foamsmithing videos I've seen, and arguably goes into greater detail than many.  I think it would make a legal weapon for hitting people in KoN.

2. The rule you quoted is about punch-daggers and flails.  Sorry for the confusion. Rapiers, spears, etc are all fine, assuming they are built well.

Thanks for asking!

Hello Kane, P&A Marshal here.

So, I am familiar with this guy and his videos. He makes weapons that are both acceptable, and not acceptable, for our game.

A good rule of thumb for anything like this is to ask yourself "if I seen this in Lord of the rings (or similar), would it be out of place?" 

I am happy to talk about appearance and design of anything prior to you making it.