Sign in to follow this  
Layoen

Balancing A Calimacil Sword

I love my new feb feast sword. The one downside, however, is the balance. The center of the balance is a few inches up the blade. I mistook the description, "The short version of this sword is balanced directly at the guard and can be handled without any difficulty." as being applicable to the long sword version. Normally I wouldn't mind the balance too much, but this sword is on the heavy side at 500 grams (I’m much more used to lighter swords). Given that Calimacils naturally are more firm and hit harder, the weight and the hardness prove to worry me. I fear that if I swing hard enough to carry the weight and swing with quick succession, i'll strike people too hard and hurt them. That is why i've been brainstorming how to balance the weight closer to the handle. One idea is to wrap the handle in leather and somehow apply metal weights to the leather. This would balance the sword in the handle, allowing me to calibrate my hits better while still maintaining a quick swing speed. I'm looking for ideas on how to do this or alternatives to the balance situation.

TLDR; Need ideas/help balancing my sword

https://www.calimacil.com/collections/larp-sword/products/nilveth-dark-elf-saber?variant=8753027874867

I just realised I posted this in the wrong section. Woops.

If you know a good foamsmith you can have them cut out a circle portion and carefully drill out a small section on the bottom on the hilt then add a metal rod, length depending on how much you need it to be balanced, to the handle. Taking the cutout or whatever other material, cap it off. This way you are able to modify the balance without changing the aesthetics or handling of the weapon.

About the only thing you're going to be able to do is to cut the foam off, add steel barstock with hockey tape, and build up a new handle with hot glue, shoegoo, etc. and wrap it in leather. 

Or grow stronger.

Only other option might be to try some lead tape for changing the balance of golf clubs: https://www.amazon.com/Brampton-Lead-Tape-Golf-Clubs/dp/B005CJL2M4  That's gonna make your hilt fatter, though, and you'll need to wrap it in leather or something afterwards.