Sign in to follow this  
MistressPounce

Magic Power / Magic Objects / Consumables

My wife and I just had a pretty heated argument / discussion about power points, magic, and magic objects/items. We kind of came to high agreement based on the wiki, but she insists that we get a rubber stamp on our understanding.

Any player can have up to 20 power points (aka magic points) in a game day.  Any player can cast spells using those points, providing they know the spell.  The only way to stretch those magic points further would be to master a school, so the level five spells cost a little less magic to use. If a player has only "purchased" 5 power points with their experience, they can use consumables to restore their magic points when they run out, but only up to a total of 20 points. I have 5 power points, I cast revive and I'm out. I could take an elixir of cosmic power and restore my 5 points.  I could do this three times before I've hit the max of 20 points in a game day).

IN ADDITION TO THIS

ANYONE can "activate" a magical object (clothes, encampment item, weapon, etc) with an incantation*. They do not need to have "purchased" power points with experience to use the items.  However, they cannot activate magical objects in excess of 20 power points, period.  If I have an encampment item I want to activate, but I've already activated my armor and jewelry to buff myself and others, for what would be 20 power points, that's it - I'm done. someone else would have to activate the item. The item does not use my personal supply of magic (power points), but I can only trigger up to 20 power points before I simply can't make magic items work until the new game day.

*excluding items with specific caveats in their descriptions; prerequisite skills may apply (herbalism, read magic, etc).

Your understanding is correct on all points.

It's worth also noting that Feb Feast items are excluded from the 20 power points from magic items cap. 

I personally would like rules clarification from Dan/Pat on the encampment item part of this. I do not believe encampment items fall under the same premise as they are not worn items and can be used by multiple people within a "party"(selected people).