Sign in to follow this  
Igni Grand

Does this count as dual-wielding?

I am new to LARP.  I (as well as my character) tend to fight with a sword in the style of Wushu (Chinese martial arts).  I like to follow some of the concepts used in such an interesting way.  One way I consider is something I need clarification on based on the Rules of KoN, as I don’t think this has been discussed before.

i plan to have my character actually carry the sword in his hand (sheathed), instead of attaching the scabbard to my belt/hip, much like how I’ve seen it in some Asian martial arts films.  When not in use, it would be carried mostly in the left hand, therefore allowing me to quickly draw the blade with my right when need be.  This way, I can even guard with the sheathed sword in a cinch, before ultimately drawing my blade.

I would therefore still be holding the scabbard with my left hand, while wielding the sword with my right.  It wouldn’t really be used as anything other than an aesthetic quality that gives a little bit of a nod to some great films I’ve seen, MAYBE the occasional blocking with the scabbard, but that’s unlikely.  I don’t want to break the scabbard.  Just looking to add a certain uniqueness to my character’s style and methods.

So to my actual question.  Does that count as “Dual-Wielding”?  Or is it fine to hold the scabbard and wield the sword?  I’ve even attached an image to give an idea of what I’m saying.

Thanks!

64DBBCBD-8BC3-439F-9C1C-FF4907C281EB.png

Hi. I'm Pat, rules second.

That is a good question. It won't count as dual wielding. The only things that can legal block attacks are legal weapons and shields/bucklers. You can still hold it for aesthetics, but it becomes a safety issue to swing or block with it. Also, if you get hit there while holding it, you would take the hit like you would if you got hit anywhere else. 

Okay!  Thank you Pat for clearing this up!  Again, I wasn’t exactly looking to really try to block with the scabbard, because I don’t think it could withstand such abuse.