Sign in to follow this  
WoodlandsWanderer

Arrows

Thanks for posting this!  By posting, You helped future players who have questions about KoN archery. What did you think about the arrows, did they work well?

Well, I haven't actually used them at an event, first time I brought them was the Oct. 11,12,13; and I NPC'd first night (and hadn't gotten them checked by that point), there wasn't real combat situations besides melee tourney the next day.

I've practiced a bit with my brother. I have experience archery prior to this, though I'm by no means an expert, and with a 24lb larp bow, they can be fairly accurate at about 20.' I can get in the right area at 30' if I arc the shot; after that the drop off seems to be too much for anything other then luck, and I don't think a bow with more pull would be what I want, safety wise. Not until I get a better feel for it, at least. They could have some good situational uses, depending on the makeup of targets in the area. For example, that first night on the 11th a few arrows into the crowd of NPCs would have been some great targets to hit; a great cluster of bodies, no shields.

As far as getting hit by them, the dozen or so times I had my brother shoot me (I didn't want to use them until I knew what they felt like), they felt lighter then an average melee blow. Mostly at about 10' to 15.' The only other major problem is conveyance of the arrows. I don't own a quiver for the larp arrows, and they'd probably get hung up on it anyway when trying to pull them out (they're not really designed to be shot from anyways), and I can't stick them in the ground to pull and shoot later. I've a couple solutions in the works, but wont know how well they are until I try them out at an event.

If people wanted to try it out, I'd be more than happy to let them use my bow/arrows whenever I bring them, and offer a couple basic pointers.

Hello. My name is Dustan and I am the Props and Atmosphere Marshall. I double checked with the rules Marshall, Pat Lane, about your arrows. The design of these specific arrows are good. Some, that look similar to this, are not ok. Arrows of this design are wildly inconsistent on how they are designed, and will be handled on a case by case basis. Please contact Pat Lane, or myself, BEFORE purchasing any arrows/arrow heads. For reference; the problem lies with the stopper of some arrows. The ones linked above look acceptable.

WoodlandsWanderer. Your arrows were tested on your 24# bow. To confirm 100% they are ok, I would like to test again using a 35# bow as that is the maximum our game allows. Please let me know the next event you will have them and I will meet up with you to test.

Sounds good, I will have my bow.