Sign in to follow this  
TheGreg

Greetings

Hello

im Greg and I’m new to all of this but i kinda want to check it out and see if it’s right for me. Was thinking about starting as an npc and building from there. I have a job and a constantly changing schedule so I’d kinda have to work around that but I’m sure it won’t be too tough. 
Wouldn’t mind some tips and suggestions.

Hi Greg! Welcome to Novitas. I'm Maggie, the Marketing and Player Outreach Marshal. NPCing is definitely a good way to start. I NPCed for three full games before building a PC and I've got to say it really helped me get a grasp on everything. That was seven years ago, lol. Now I'm hooked! We have events nearly every month. www.kingdomsofnovitas.net has our event schedule on the front page so we'd be happy to have you whenever your work schedule allows.

My tips would be to check out the Learn to Play section of our Rules Wiki. It will help you get a grasp on the rules before you walk through the door. http://www.kingdomsofnovitas.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Rules.Learntoplay

The Word Book is also a fun read. It is a book all about our game's Lore http://www.mvgc.net/larp/worldbook.pdf

If you have any questions, be sure to let me know. Hope to see you soon!

Thanks Maggie!

ive read and am still reading a good portion of both the wiki and story book. 
Great stuff!

Hi Greg! Glad you're taking a look. I think you're exactly in the right mindset on NPCing, I npc'd a good number of games before making a character of my own. If I had to offer you tips, it would be: wool socks.  Change into fresh wool socks once per shift, and you'll have happy feet. And happy feet make for happy players! 

If you're looking at things to buy before showing up, I'd suggest going to whatever thrift stores are around and looking for the following.  I use the following every game, every time I NPC: 

Large scarf--useful for changing up your look, while still looking like you're in a fantasy world. I avoid shemagh, they're too modern, but if you look at a few thrift stores you'll find a few good scarves for not a lot of $$. Look for light wool.

Lined leather gloves- tough to find, but not impossible.

Base NPC layer-- use plain  black starting out, no logos. Be brave and walk the women's section of thrift stores, looking for a ren-fair style black shirt, or go with a friend.  Black pants,  avoid jeans. 

Leather belt and pouch (we have these you can borrow for NPCing, but I just like to have my own)

If you go to a few thrift stores, you can get all this loot for less than 20bucks, likely way less, and you'll be in a great spot to start building your player kit.

If you have questions, I'm happy to chat at game! I hope to see you there, Greg.

Black pants,  avoid jeans

Black scrub pants, without cargo pockets, are great summer time NPC pants. I often see scrubs in their own section at thrift shops, or sometimes on a maternity rack.