Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuy

[Nature] Ley Lines

Xicris is right. You have only played one game and would have little to no experience with in game flower usage. They are useful and quite sought after by the players who can use them. I went searching the woods my second game and came back with three flowers I think it was and they were sold in about five minutes. For the players who can use them they are indeed very useful. As it is that means they won't be abundant during games and only certain players will see them every game.

Right, I was making the assumption, based on what I've heard, that there aren't many people who can use them in the game right now. That's my only point. They ARE really useful items... if you meet the requirements.

I dont see how me going to 1 event or 1000 events changes the facts regarding how many alchemists are in game who can take advantage of alchemy flowers. I have a stash and I cant seem to find a way to get rid of em. I could be wrong about my assumptions, but how many games I've gone to has nothing to do with it.

Now I'm not trying to be rude but yes it does have something do with it. In one game weekend there is no way that you can interact with every character and have a meaningful interaction with even half of them. I bet if you look at Thalen formerly of the Nightmare Legion you see a gruff warrior who is pretty good at defending himself in one on one combat or even one on three combat. So for me it was pretty surprising when he offered to by my flowers so he could make some more items. That's what I meant about only being to one game. You haven't learned everything about everyone's skills or even their characters. I've only been to four event's and every time I go I learn something new about someone else's character and their abilities. It's possible to learn more about what's working properly in the system the more times you experience them in action than someone can from reading as many times.

Well, ... you dont need to interact with people in-game to know things OOC.

(this poor thread, I think we've poisoned it).

So about that Leylines spell...

Guest Elrohir Amandil
Right, I was making the assumption, based on what I've heard, that there aren't many people who can use them in the game right now. That's my only point. They ARE really useful items... if you meet the requirements.

I dont see how me going to 1 event or 1000 events changes the facts regarding how many alchemists are in game who can take advantage of alchemy flowers. I have a stash and I cant seem to find a way to get rid of em. I could be wrong about my assumptions, but how many games I've gone to has nothing to do with it.

Start an IC thread in the forums saying that you want to sell flowers. You may get some response there too.

Start an IC thread in the forums saying that you want to sell flowers. You may get some response there too.

That's actually not a bad idea at all... :)

Guest Elrohir Amandil
That's actually not a bad idea at all... :)

That will be two coin, please.

Actually it is not meant to be "instant" teleportation. It simply indicates that you dissolve into the elements and pop up at your anchor site. It takes air time to move. It takes water time to seep through the ground.

If that is the intent of the spell, the description needs to be revised.

Ley Lines

Type: Nature

Level: 5

Duration: instant

Range: self

Dispel: no

By binding a tiny portion of the casters life

spark to a physical location, Ley Lines allows the

caster to instantly travel back to that location by

dissipating their body into natural energies that travel

along the ley power lines of Novitas.

Upon learning this spell, the caster performs

a small ceremony (it may be role-played if desired)

that binds himself to the physical location he is at.

This location may be changed at will, but only

between events (except with GM permission). It must

be a static physical location, such as this large rock

or this big tree, and not another person or object.

When casting this spell, upon completion of

the incant the caster is instantly removed from that

particular encounter and may not rejoin it for the

duration of the event. If necessary call a game hold to

remove yourself from the area. The caster is now out

of game until he reaches his binding location, at

which time he reappears. The caster should be

marked with orange to signify that he is out of game.

A Game Master may require you to remain out of

game for a longer period of time.

You must have empty hands when traveling.

Any items that are to travel with you must be secured

on your person. Only you may travel along the ley

lines and you may not carry another person, or cast

this spell upon another person.

The spell Grounding prevents this spell from

functioning, and completing this spell while under

the effects of a Grounding spell wastes the Magic

Power with no effect.

While it is possible to scribe Ley Lines onto

a scroll, there are limitations to this because of the

magical mechanics of the spell. Once scribed, such a

scroll will only work for the caster who produced it,

and no one else.

Just consider it to work as JC said. It takes a variable amount of time for you to actually return to your binding point. That variable equals the amount of time it takes for you to walk there.

We should probably revisit this spell in light of the possibility of blink fighting with it...

These are my ideas on tweaking nature magic:

1) Swap repel insects and elemental dart. Now elemental dart is 4 elemental damage for 2 MP.

2) Change repel insects to repel animal/plant/lesser elementals. This would give it more versitillity

OR

2) Change repel insects to command animal/plant. one or two darts for ten minutes. This would give it more bang per MP used.

Honestly, I think Ley Lines should be a ritual rather than a spell. Then again, I think each school should have some more or less "common" rituals that should be readily available for those with the means.

As for the effectiveness of low-level vs. medium-level nature magic, I say switch Elemental Dart and Dissipate... like Phil said, everyone, their mom, and their dog has Dissipate, it should be higher level. And as an added bonus, that way every level will have a good spell to take, and that's before replacing your repel insects and such.