Kender

... Elven steel was more rare?

Wouldn't it be neat if elven steel was back to a thing that denoted status and wealth, rather than a "good starter weapon" that every party has one or two of?

I may be alone here, but I think it'd be neat.

We had this for many, many years. You want it to be rare again? That's easy:

1. Stop allowing people to keep half their XP on death or retirement.

2. Move the cost of Weaponsmithing back up to what it was (or maybe just double or triple the cost of Elven Steel).

3. Take away all the XP we gave out for the "buy garb" initiative this summer and reset those characters.

Seriously though, what's the number you're looking for here? 1% of players? 10%? I'd guess that 10%-12% is about what it is now, maybe a touch less. In fact...

If your PC has a weapon made of Elven Steel, please post here. CLO, can you check the spreadsheet and see how many Elven Steel weapons have numbers?

I have an Elven Steel longsword. It's not made yet, but it's got a number and is paid for in-game. It's the fourth magic/silver/elven steel/exceptional weapon I've owned on a character since I started LARPing, the first being a silver dagger at Mid-Land, the second a magic dagger that Adimo had, and the third being an Elven Steel dagger Adimo sold his magic dagger to buy.

Actually I figured we'd just take it out of the crafting rules...

If Elven Steel becomes meaningless, we just introduce monsters that are only hurt by Elementium, or Kryptonite, or Unobtanium, or whatever...

Why not look at the base desire that's driving people to buy elven steel in the first place? It isn't to look cool. It's to kill wraiths. "Very Rare" should mean "very Rare." Burn all but one of the wraith masks, put the last in the plot marshall's pocket, and then people will have less of a desire for elven steel.

crap i am not sure how people are getting the money to make/buy elven steel weapons. i barely make ends meet with whatever charector i play. it is really frustrating to see all these people with the best weapons this game has. i vote for making it harder to get eleven steel weapons but then again my vote don't count for much.

Why not look at the base desire that's driving people to buy elven steel in the first place? It isn't to look cool. It's to kill wraiths. "Very Rare" should mean "very Rare." Burn all but one of the wraith masks, put the last in the plot marshall's pocket, and then people will have less of a desire for elven steel.

I've been saying that for months. MONTHS!

We'll do what Richard suggests. It's not the first time I've heard it, and wouldn't be the last time either.

The numbers say 10 swords/daggers + 1 arrow in the log- of which I am almost sure 2 blades and the arrow are broken out of the game.

120 Players have attended at least 1 KoN event this year.

8.33% of players with Elven Steel is hardly overwhelming. I will again say that most of the "Elven Steel" damage calls people hear at night are from Enchant Weapon and Wraithbane spells.

Phil put it to me thusly:

Why settle for a hamburger when steak is only a little bit more?

Spells are free. Swords cost coin. They're not just a little bit more, they are, for many players not optimized to make money, virtually unobtainable. Particularly since the GMs are now less willing to put such items in-game because of the amount being crafted.

I mean, really, let's objectively look at these swords.

Ajax has one, he's a capped weaponsmith and brought it in for free his first game.

I have one coming, I'm a Master Craftsman, and paid Inn coin for it.

Giovanni has one coming, I made it for him with Inn coin.

Iga has one, he won it fighting the unkillable barbarian chief at the sluicegate last year.

Richter has a feast sword.

Wayde has an arrow.

Dren has one coming that he got by being a completely min-maxed juggernaut of commerce.

That's seven of them. I know that the one Drea used to have is gone, because I cut it up. I don't know if Adimo's old elven steel dagger is still around. Who else has one, really? Hell, only one of those went in as loot. More troubling to me is that a character like Elios, who isn't a looting machine, won't ever find one as loot, realistically.

That's eight of the eleven accounted for. Where's the other three? I assume the NSGG still has Adimo's old dagger somewhere, so there's two more floating around I don't know about. Where did those come from?

Perhaps I'm worried at nothing.

we'll shred the wraith masks anyway :D

Elven steel shorty was chucks, Im sure its gone

casting makes it seem like everyone has it.

but i know what you are saying.

Dren has one coming that he got by being a completely min-maxed juggernaut of commerce.

I only got one because Bizby's giving me a deal, nearly "at cost".

And I don't need to "min/max" to get one, either. I could've just gotten master craftsman 20 levels ago and made myself one for free just like Ajax did. So don't pick on me! lol

Here's a cool concept, I think: Allow for crafting to go beyond 20 points, but keep it so you can only produce 20 craft points worth of items per game.

So, let's say a masterwork elvensteel martial costs 60 craft points. It takes you 3 games to make, using up 20 craft points each game.

A bit of tweaking and I think that'll solve your problem. And if it doesn't, then maybe it's a thought for incorporating things in the game that dont fit in the current 20 point craft scale because of their power.

Now, for fun, drop the cost per craft point to match ornamenting, appropriately increase the number of craft points it requires to make an item in game, and there you have it... a fix to make elven steel more rare without breaking the system.

Heck, you can even add elven steel great weapons if you wanted, but they'd cost like 100 craft points.

Giovanni has one coming, I made it for him with Inn coin.

Giovanni's sword will NOT be elven steel. It WILL be elemental Earth (the last name is "VillaTerra", "Home of Earth", he comes from an "Earth Family", they own mines, quarries, land, that's their trade, it's a character choice more than a min-max choice). I've seen 2 other swords in game that swung for elemental damage. I don't think either is left in game.

Ironically, I'll be finally getting this sword at the end of the Elemental plot. It'll probably be half-useless next season, but I'll still have it because it's the "family sword".

And it'll make all-a-yalls elfy steel look like chump change. :D

I know where two of the "missing" blades are.

I'm pretty sure Marius has one, or had one made, as I saw Ajax pass it off to him in game, and I -know- Vincent has one.

I'm not so sure if Even Steel is the problem, really. The biggest problem with it is that currently it'll hit, damage, and kill something like 80-90% of the things we see an event usually. THAT is why everyone wants one of the damn things. By my reckoning (without looking at the ID magic sheet ['cause that would be cheating]) we've got about as many, if not more, Elven Steel -martial- blades in game, or coming into game, as we do weapons of all other materials combined. That's a fuckton of elven steel in comparison.

When I started here at Novitas, the mere idea that there might be an elven steel weapon out somewhere would send groups scrambling to go get it. Now, it's a symbol of those that can afford to pay a large sum of money to a weaponsmith. BLAM instant ass kickery.

My idea was keep Elven Steel on the books as something that can be made, but rather then just spend a little coin, make it so the Weaponsmith has to have "special smithing ingots" or something to make the stuff. Still obtainable by PCs, just a tad harder to actually get made.

Another solution is to make critters that are only hurt by "pure silver" or Goblin Iron, or something outside the arguably best weapon material in the game currently.

I'm curious... roughly how many monsters are immune to all but elven steel?

All I've heard of are Wraiths, but I know there have got to be more.

There are more, and we're not telling.

I can think of at least 2 others, but again, I'm not telling. It's not the "Can only be hit by Elven Steel" that's the problem. The problem is that it hits anything with a DR of Magic, Silver, or Elven Steel.

That's a a metric ass load of the monsters we see on a normal basis.

Perhaps, in the next errata, Elven Steel should be bumped up to 20 craft points so that if your typical crafter wants to make one, they have to make a non-martial one. To make a martial Elven Steel weapon, you have to be a master craftsman. Also, changing the production points back to 1-for-1 may slow down the glut of magic items pouring into the game.

I have to agree though. There's so many critters out there that need special weapons to hit them, that each party almost needs an elven steel sword just to get by. If we saw less of these things, the demand for elven steel would diminish some...