Coroth

Dispel Magic- Why isnt it used more?

Reading all these, I still like two darts.

Raises the threat, adds some utility, but by no means does it approach "too good not to have".

Two darts is the quick easy fix. It's not likely to be too powerful at that rate. If it's still a problem, it can get "more fixed" in the future.

That would be my take on it at least...

there you go bob. its been decided by the masses. 2 darts it is! lol now get to work and change it.

j/k

I may be mistaken but is Dispel magic the ONLY way to get rid of creeping rot, which prevents all restoration magic, you get creeping Rot, magical defenses or not, someone hits you with a silver or elven steel weapon its gonna stick.

I like the idea of adding in the second level for 2 tagbags and making the 4th level 4 tagbags, but casting a dispel to remove something like creeping rot or magic lock... the extra tagbag then gets wasted.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

It would seem to me that if the concern about Dispel is that it could be nulled once then casting it twice would make a much more viable combat option. In terms of Rothgar's concern, if you're using Dispel to get rid of one magic lock, the second tag bag can be held in hand for 10 minutes. In some situations it may be useful to have a dispel in hand... or in the case of NPCs there may be multiple magic locks to bust. If someone was going to blow a Dispel on Creeping Rot anyway, making them "waste" a second tagbag doesn't matter since the same amount of MP would have been spent.

Now that I'm considering the options I think a two bag Dispel is probably all you need.

Alex:

Rulebook Section 6, heading 3: "Casting a Spell"

These darts are magically created when

the incant of a spell is completed, and have a

duration of one minute from the completion of the

incant. Darts that are not thrown after one minute

elapses dissipate harmlessly into the air, and are

wasted.

the second tag bag can be held in hand for 10 minutes.

That is wrong. One minute is how long conjured magic darts last in all circumstances. No spell creates a magic dart that sticks around for ten minutes.

Edit: LOL@Dan

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Whoops. My bad. Still... one minute of a potential dispel chance? Could be worse.

Dispel scares me about as much as Severance.

Severance can empty a person

Dispel could negate dozens of power spent.

Dispel scares me about as much as Severance.

Severance can empty a person

Dispel could negate dozens of power spent.

yes but at only 1 dart it is virtually useless. anit magic shield. and almost everyone has that.

yes but at only 1 dart it is virtually useless. anit magic shield. and almost everyone has that.

True, but instead of "Disengage Disengage Dispel" It'll just be "Disengage Dispel Dispel" :(

Still enough to make me go play dodgeball all winter :P

More efficient to use "Repel Insects, Repel Insects... *turn to next guy* Repel Insects, Repel Insects" Then let your buddy cast the Dispel. You know, if you wanna twink it out.

More efficient to use "Repel Insects, Repel Insects... *turn to next guy* Repel Insects, Repel Insects" Then let your buddy cast the Dispel. You know, if you wanna twink it out.

That won't work, unless it's a target that's normally affected by Repel Insects. Immunities kick in before any other defenses.

the point is you shouldnt need another spell before it to make it useful.

It's useful by itself, but there's also a bit of value to Aegis being able to stop a Dispel.

Hmm, or maybe we make an enchantment spell that turns Dispel into "turn off for ten minutes"

Hmm?

I have to say, I'm pretty glad this idea turned away from making Dispel a level 2, mostly because for the moment it's the only way to remotely make items safe from being stolen. Unless of course we go go the way of the werecow and bury our stuff everywhere, right now magic lock is the only defense actively used in game. I don't think I've ever heard anyone think about getting a physical lock ingame, and I've definitely never seen one anywhere.

Also, until the Trapsmith rules get reworked, there's no reason to expect anyone except for GMs to make them available. Even then there's only a (small) handful of people walking around with trapsmith to actually make them, and I'm not entirely sure how many of those folks have production to make the locks!

Actually if anyone was going to have a physical lock, I would fully expect it to be the HoC's lockbox in the Inn; and I think it seems pretty telling that even with all their heavy profits, it's just magic locked.

So, that's what I say. :)

yeah but again if the spells only REAL use is dispelling a lvl one magic lock. to expend a lvl 4 spell for that. thats weak.

I think it's just the most common 1-off use at the moment; it's not like you can put aura of reflection on a door =P

I like four tagbags. Dispel should be as scary as any other fourth level spell, and two bags won't be enough in my opinion to make it a peer of Fear, Severence, Maelstrom, or Anti-Magic Aura. Especially since most of the time, it'll still just be cast to open a lock.

Severance can hypothetically take away 16 power.

One dispel bag can take away nearly double that.