Sign in to follow this  
Thunderface

Rolling the Acid call into the Slay ability....

What about having Slay if it is 4 points of damage shatter shields, thus we could remove the 'acid' call and just go with slay.

Reasoning:

1.A weapon master SHOULD be able to take someones shield out, they have mastered the art of combat and weapon use, they should know how to take out someones shield.

2.Vial of acid is currently the ONLY shield remover, thus you see a good deal of the PCs in game with shields. Having more then 1 way to get rid of a shield makes it a little more challenging for a shield user to do their thing. Also cuts down on the intensity of a shield wall but doesn't ruin the intimidation that it brings.

3. The only things besides Vial of Acid that really dose Acid damage are Oozes, but Oozes are not often put into game and changing their spit to '2 slay' instead of '1 acid' makes them more then just a monster to annoy shield users. The same rule would of course apply, if you get hit for 4 slay points in the shield it destroys it until it is repaired via a mend armor...

Reasoning:

1.A weapon master SHOULD be able to take someones shield out, they have mastered the art of combat and weapon use, they should know how to take out someones shield.

2.Vial of acid is currently the ONLY shield remover, thus you see a good deal of the PCs in game with shields. Having more then 1 way to get rid of a shield makes it a little more challenging for a shield user to do their thing. Also cuts down on the intensity of a shield wall but doesn't ruin the intimidation that it brings.

3. The only things besides Vial of Acid that really dose Acid damage are Oozes, but Oozes are not often put into game and changing their spit to '2 slay' instead of '1 acid' makes them more then just a monster to annoy shield users. The same rule would of course apply, if you get hit for 4 slay points in the shield it destroys it until it is repaired via a mend armor...

I'm really not in favor of a melee way to remove shields. You can already hit it with a Vial of Acid, blast through it with Battle Magic, hit it with Compulsion spells, or just plain fight your way past it.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of shields out there. I'm still trying to figure out all the barbarians with shields. The rulebook straight out calls that cowardly...

I imagine there are a lot of realistic elements that would be cool to add to the game, but it seems like it would require a lot of complex additions to make it work with foam weapons.

For instance, in the same regard, axes were often used as shield-breakers or to hook shields and pull them away, but in Novitas they just act the same as a sword.

Not a fan of the idea that a Weapon Master can destroy a shield. Way too easy to chump somebody.

Right now as I see it the Master Stroke is the top one-shot for dealing single-target damage in the system. It used to be Two-Step Venom, but then we buffed Poison Immunity to the point where Two-Steps are much less scary. It makes sense to me that a skill tree dedicated entirely to laying a beat-down has the scariest one-shot.

No need to make it worse.

Imagine a Weapon Master striking a guy with a shield. "Destroy Shield" is called. Strict interpretation of the rules holds that the next blow on a destroyed shield (or any other illegally held weapon) counts as a limb shot. Granted we usually give someone a chance to drop their shield out of courtesy, but I see the potential for even more abuse than just losing the shield in question.

You can already call a Slay or a Pierce. It needs no more. Right now it is good, but not too-good-not-to-have.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of shields out there. I'm still trying to figure out all the barbarians with shields. The rulebook straight out calls that cowardly...

I think perhaps then the rulebook should be altered/updated due to the actual barbarians in game much as the changes that came about the Snow goblins as the HoCB decided to clearly define the culture. A culture defined by the Players and their actions.

I think the reason so many of us use shields is because a Shield is a LOT more forgiving in a fight for someone who wants to charge into the center of the battle and not 'play it safe'.

Another note is that the rulebook states Barbarians of the Tribe lands consider that Cowardly, The views of Grakk state using ANYTHING to better aid you in combat and the continued fight is acceptable, the only cowardly act is avoiding a fight.

I think jumping the round shield from 30" to 36" might have been overkill... With most of the 36" shields, its hard NOT to turtle behind it.

I think perhaps then the rulebook should be altered/updated due to the actual barbarians in game much as the changes that came about the Snow goblins as the HoCB decided to clearly define the culture. A culture defined by the Players and their actions.

Except that the HoCB hasn't tried to play against type.

Eh, whatever, this isn't the discussion for this thread.