4 Acid destroys shields. Should 4 acid destroy the 'monstrous' on armor suits? In terms of consistency, I don't see why shields are vulnerable while armor is not. But I also would HATE to see a chilling effect on wearing dead sexy armor in game too.

Greater minds can debate this, I just thought I'd bring it up.

I'd sooner see the Slay call destroy a shield than see an acid vial count as slay. Slay should remain rare. Right now there are exactly two sources for it. One is an easy 3rd lvl spell (which EVERY battle caster should know IMHO) and the other is a skill that takes 26 levels to achieve.

Edit: There are three sources. Bile of Nox is in play as loot, and likely will be player produceable in the spring. It allows for a single call of Poison Slay.

I like 4 acid as "the way" to destroy shields. I don't think it needs to do anything else.

Armor already has a perfectly valid paper to it's rock, in fact there's a few. Besides pierce effects, there's always the old standby "hit them a lot". ;)

Exactly.

3 orcs with spears.

Exactly.

3 orcs with spears.

Stun

Stun

Dominate: Kill your friends

It's the way it is for reasons of game balance. Things seem fine, let's not screw with them.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

This is a quasi on-topic question I've been having for a while. Can a shield that has been melted with acid still cast spells if it is enchanted? Like what happens if you stick your character's Mend Armor spells onto your shield so you can have it fix itself after being hit by acid?

This is a quasi on-topic question I've been having for a while. Can a shield that has been melted with acid still cast spells if it is enchanted? Like what happens if you stick your character's Mend Armor spells onto your shield so you can have it fix itself after being hit by acid?

Once 4 acid has successfully been dealt to your shield, you are suppose to place/throw the shield to the ground and it is useless until a mend armor is cast on it. thus you do not have the shield 'equipped' and can not use it to cast spells from. at least that Is how I have been playing it (not that my shield gets acided out often.) and how I interpreted the rules.

That's how I'd interpret it also, but let's wait for Bob to make a final call on this.

Ugh. Shields are the item that can be destroyed like this, and we have no rule or precedent for their functionality when disabled in this way. Still, I think we can apply standard guidelines to this situation in a way that makes sense.

1. A destroyed shield must be dropped, and any hits on a destroyed shield before it is dropped count as hits on the arm.

2. Mend armor can't be cast on a carried shield.

Even though you can't use the shield until it is repaired, I don't see any reason to disallow it to mend itself as long as it laid on the ground and you can lay your hand on it to activate it.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

ok, so having Mend Armors on a shield isn't not completely useless but it's not the quick battle fix I might have been hoping for. Thanks.

ok, so having Mend Armors on a shield isn't not completely useless but it's not the quick battle fix I might have been hoping for. Thanks.

That's basically what we're going for. :)

Ugh. Shields are the item that can be destroyed like this, and we have no rule or precedent for their functionality when disabled in this way. Still, I think we can apply standard guidelines to this situation in a way that makes sense.

1. A destroyed shield must be dropped, and any hits on a destroyed shield before it is dropped count as hits on the arm.

2. Mend armor can't be cast on a carried shield.

Even though you can't use the shield until it is repaired, I don't see any reason to disallow it to mend itself as long as it laid on the ground and you can lay your hand on it to activate it.

Hi Bob,

What's your ruling on an acid-hit shield that has something else imbibed in it, like heal body?

I would think that in this case #1 above would still apply, but does the shield need to be mended before heal body can be used through it?

Thanks,

8ft Mike

The shield doesn't need to be mended, but it does need to be dropped.

I concur. The magic still goes, but you can't use it like a shield.

Right, the magic is there but you'll have to lay it on the ground to use it.