Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

The Blood Games

I swing at you.

You flick out your sword and touch my weapon before it hits you.

My weapon carries through with 99% of it's force and lands a solid blow.

You take no damage, because you "blocked" it.

Guest Elrohir Amandil
I swing at you.

You flick out your sword and touch my weapon before it hits you.

My weapon carries through with 99% of it's force and lands a solid blow.

You take no damage, because you "blocked" it.

Yeah, that sounds lame and exploitable.

Holy crap I have never heard of that. That is regoddamdiculous.

Its standard in "light hitting" larps from what I understand.

Reading their rules, and especially looking at some of the pictures, this sounds more and more fun.

Its standard in "light hitting" larps from what I understand.

Any NERO-type game will play with this rule.

I will again point to the LARP Continuum:

larp_continuum.jpg

This is what I'm trying to get across to people by going to other games.

Yeah, that sounds lame and exploitable.

Lame, yes. "Exploitable", no. Those are their rules, if you're doing that, it's perfectly legal.

It stresses speed instead of strength. It also helps avoid people who just try to bash through anything you do for a defense. If you're hitting as light as they intend, a light tap is all that is really needed to deflect a blow. This moves away from broadsword combat, and more toward fencing/rapier combat.

I wanna go, it is just so far out I cant give a definite yes till like the end of July due to CQ and Staff dusty rosters only being posted monthly. i will definitely go if I am not on a shift or can get someone to take it.

Please PM me if you're a definite YES for this. I'd like to get the ball rolling on our registration.

We can begin the intimidation early this way. :)

If "tap blocking" is legal, how do people lose?

When do you ever take a solid blow from a weapon in Novitas when you're facing an opponent and in the ready? You'd need to gang up like 3 on 1 just to wound someone or just beat them down from behind.

The more larps I read rules for, the more I'm glad I'm part of this one instead. Seriously. It makes me appreciate how you guys don't let stupid crap in the rulebook.

Do they allow any non-burrito boffers at least??

We can use our latex weapons, but we can't thrust with them.

My experience with tap blocking has been that fights last FOREVER. Remember though, that most games have something like a 4:1 or 5:1 PC to cast ratio, so there's always multiple PCs beating on each NPC.

Also, while you're PMing me, please include your real name, if you can drive or need a ride, and how many passengers you have room for if you're driving.

Tanx.

$25 to register tenting

$40 to register with bunk space

+$22 for meal plan of Saturday breakfast, Saturday dinner, and Sunday breakfast

First, I apologize for being annoying in advance.

So I say this half-jokingly... wouldn't it have been cheaper to charge extra to run Novitas at that Caverns place that month? :)

By those numbers, it's almost 90 bucks for Blood Games, and if I recall... it'd be like 80 or something for running KoN offsite. (Correct me where I'm wrong, I might be making up these numbers)

*shrug*

So I say this half-jokingly... wouldn't it have been cheaper to charge extra to run Novitas at that Caverns place that month? :)

By those numbers, it's almost 90 bucks for Blood Games, and if I recall... it'd be like 80 or something for running KoN offsite. (Correct me where I'm wrong, I might be making up these numbers)

*shrug*

40 + 22 = 62

62 =/= 90

So I say this half-jokingly... wouldn't it have been cheaper to charge extra to run Novitas at that Caverns place that month? :lol:

*shrug*

totally different mission, Rick. the Field Trips are about learning about other LARPs, not about running Novitas, and were going to happen even if we did have a summer event at the caverns.

This is also something we can do with no extra effort on the part of our staff. We show up, play, and leave. Like Jenica said, this isn't KoN, this is a different mission.

Ok, so based on their conversion I'll be tanking this event. Are we going to be discussing specifics on this trip anytime soon? I want to get as much done ahead of time as possible and I haven't heard anything other then what's in this thread. Are we pre-registering all together? Are we pooling the money and paying together? Is someone going to take charge of organizing carpools? Do we want to make flags and banners to show Novitas Pride or just do it on an individual level? I've got more questions but I'll hold off.

I dunno, I hadn't really thought that far ahead. Can we hold off on this discussion until after the June event when we break for the summer?

Sounds good to me.

Sounds like you'll bring another enthusiastic and proud team to the Games - that's great! It's the mixing and sharing of experiences and ideas that we really want to encourage and foster. PS - loved that "LARP spectrum" - very good.

Regarding registering a Realm - either a KoN director tells us, or 5 players pre-reg and tell us (we've reduced the number from 10 to match the minimum Faction size) - then we'll add your Realm to the list on our website. Just give us the word.

Teams last year ranged from a size of 1(!) to somewhere in the 20's. There is no upper limit - it tends to balance itself, and no single team comes anywhere close to dominating. Yes, you could register more than one Realm, but it sounds like you'd be well served with several Factions. Factions are primarily for flavor - to allow you to present your Realm's important groups if you wish.

Regarding cost: Yes, the $25 or $40 registration fee is either/or, not additive. Just depends whether you want to tent or sleep in a cabin. Food is also your choice - the 3-meal plan provides you with 3 very hearty meals to keep you going, but you can also bring your own food and cook out.

Updated the Blood Games website with a teaser writeup of last year's champions: http://www.thebloodgames.com/uploads/Blood_Games_Bulletin_2009_promo_version.pdf

Looking forward to getting to know a new group of LARP enthusiasts!

Thanks

Harald

harald@thebloodgames.com

I shudder to even suggest this, but...

If we wanted to do this as a huge group, we DO now have a tent that will sleep a platoon. BUT!

BUT!

BUT!

I am NOT going to be the one who tears it down at VK, transports it to Massachusetts, brings it back, and pitches it again for our September game. NOT!

NOT!

NOT!

So, those of you who'd like to pay $25 for the weekend instead of $40, organize this. The tent WILL NOT fit in a car, nor will it fit into some kinda little girly-sized sport utility vehicle like a Rav-4 or a Santa Fe. You will need a truck or a minivan to haul it. I will help you put it up once we get there.

I think it'd be awesome for us to show up with a huge-ass tent that sleeps all of us, but I can't be the one to get it there and back again, because my van will be full of people, gear and foam swords.

i would be interested in helping setup/teardown the tent but i have no vehicle big enough to transport it.