MKW

Gathering

Narene silently joins the gathering crowd on the hillock, nodding to those who chose to acknowledge him. As the ceremony starts and the tributes continue those who chose to observe him notice him not watching the service, rather his eyes seem far away almost as if he is seeing something else.

If you listen closely you hear him whisper "Too many funerals" and shake his head.

As the last tribute ends he steps forth to speak."I did not know Ajax well at all, so I will not speak to the man, there are many other who are far more capable of paying tribute than I. That is a tribute in its self, that so many would chose to speak as such an occasion, that truly shows who Ajax was. Know that he is in a far better place, and at peace. I have stood close to her embrace and have seen glimpses of the next life, you may take comfprt in knowing you will see him again when the time comes."

He looks off into the distance again for a moment before continuing."To those gathered here, who lived with him, who loved him, who called him brother, it is them who walk down the more difficult road. But walk it you must, and you will, and in time you will remember the good times rather than the bad. You will remember the smiles, not the hardships, you will remember the love, not the end. Hold on to these things, for they are who Ajax truly was. Never let that go, and you shall never truly lose him."

Spoken in elven "Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle Ajax" Translation :

May thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back Ajax

He steps back again into the crowd.

Gong Wei approaches from the direction of the pagoda. He moves to the group, and speaks

The superior man in everything considers righteousness to be essential. He performs it according to the rules of propriety. He brings it forth in humility. He completes it with sincerity. He is distressed by his want of ability. He is not distressed by men's not knowing him. He dislikes the thought of his name not being mentioned after his death.

What the superior man seeks, is in himself. What the mean man seeks, is in others.

The superior man is dignified, but does not wrangle. He is sociable, but not a partisan. The superior man does not promote a man simply on account of his words, nor does he put aside good words because of the man.

The Master was once asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?" And the Master did reply, "Is not reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."

For the doctrine of my Master is to be true to the principles of goodness, truth and filial piety, and the benevolent exercise of them to others, this and nothing more. Truly did Forgelighter Ajax Thorgrim embody this doctrine.

The Gong bows his head a moment, then walks to stand with Elder Daizo and Lord Villaterra

(you see neccero come up to the gathering with a full pack on his back. he turns to each of the oddfellows and offers condolences. from the pack he takes out various tools and lays them atop ajax's grave. he turns to those assembled and speaks)

i am not accustomed to earthkin funeral rites but a master craftsman should never go anywhere without tools to work his trade. in life ajax was a pillar of this town even if he didn't want to be as many have allready spoken to that fact. i didn't know him as well as i would have liked but i have heard of many of his jokes and advice. what few times i have been near him be it in battle or not he put everyones needs ahead of his own. i could not ask for a better person to be by anyone's side. so i offer this last gift to ajax.

(he reaches into the pack again and produces a large bottle of his monster's brew. he uncorks it, lifts it in the air in salute and proceeds to pour the bottle into the ground next to the grave)

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Jason stands in attendance alongside the other GoST members. He stands solemnly and doesn't speak.

Octavian stood at a distance, just observing the gathering. A solemn look across her face. Her armor cleaned and shiny her sword put away.

Rhaveniel moves to stand next to Neccero, slightly unsure of herself I too did not know Ajax as well as I would have liked. But what I do know is that Ajax touched many in this town, whether it was though his craft or though his speech and deeds. He will be missed.

As Rhaveniel is speaking, Fox waits for her to finish, and then politely moves up through the assembled town, to stand on the other side of Maeve, and addresses everyone. The sound of a few small stones jangle and clink in his pocket as he gathers his thoughts.

A good friend once told me that any day you wake up with your feet on the right side of the grass, is a good day...Today Ajax doesn't have that luxury, but there were so many others that he did before now. How many of us here, now, ventured out with Ajax on one foray or another, to the edge of the Stranger's domain? Always to return with fantastic tales of those who would create and serve injustices instead put in the ground, their threats otherwise ended?

As always, Pinedale has been a rough and tumble place, and I'm sure that some of those black-hearted folk rejoice even now, claiming success, with the death of our friend, Ajax. True to the memory of his spirit, I have only one thing to say to that falsitude - Bullshit! The real victory can be seen in all of us here today; they may think we are weakened in resistance, but I see in all of you here now, our cemented resolve.

Vengeance in the eyes of some, compassion in droves, and truth mirrored in the rest...I choose to remember Ajax as he was - leading the charge, and meeting out justice as necessary, with a few few choice jokes after all was said and done.

Fox reaches into a pouch and pulls out a monster piece of quartz, rough and dirty, about the size of a small melon. He lays the rock near Sidhan's shiny elf-water, and address's Maeve quietly.

I thought about telling that old saw He was always regaling us with about the Henna artist, but figured this rock would be a better testament to his clan, and his memory, thank you for bringing us all together here and now.

Fox gives her a lopsided smile, and walks off to the side of the assemblage.

The Patrician takes a full step forward. He wears a pair of black bands on his right arm, the highest Civen sign of mourning for the death of a non-citizen.

His voice is loud enough for all to hear, but he looks directly at Sister Maeve as he speaks.

"Sister, I beg that She hear the words we speak today. May he join Her and find Her embrace. I ask that you whisper our words to Her on behalf of this one.

Ajax Thorgrim was a strong willed man. He was also a reasonable one. His capacity to stand his ground was tempered by his wisdom, a rare and precious commodity for anyone. He was an example to many.

Ajax Thorgrim cared for his fellows. His capacity for loyalty is well remembered by those present here.

Ajax Thorgrim contributed to the good of his community. When it came time for him to make hard decisions, his love for his companions became his first priority. Their continued safety drove him forward.

If we are truly to judge men by the company that they keep, then we would all do well to remember Ajax Thorgrim's virtues and live up to his memory. In this way those that survive him may do honor to his name by showing all what measure of company that he kept. May all those continue to be the kind of people he would keep as company."

He stands rigid for a long moment looking across at the Septon before taking one half step back.

Marius relaxes his stance and looks down to the cairn. His hand graces the pommel of his Elven Steel blade as he speaks to the mound. "Thank you Ajax."

With that he retreats fully to stand near his Clients and falls silent.

With a small smile for Marius, Maeve nods. Her demeanor again takes on a sense of duty as she turns to those congregated. Her eyes move over all present. Slight bows are given to the nobles. Her eyes stop on the faces of her fellow Oddfellows.

"This is a dark time for us." She looks to Sophia. "But answers will be had." She looks to Zander. "Grief and anger will lift and be replaced by fond memories." She looks to Ambrose. "The weight of the responsibility once hefted on those great shoulders will seem as a feather." She looks to Fox. "Laughter and happiness will one day find its way back to the Oddcrossing."

She lowers her eyes, looking to Ajax. She collects the offerings laid beside the grave and places them inside. The dagger from Sidhan and the smith's tools from Neccero, she places in the Mountain Smith's hands. The stone from Fox and the vial from Sidhan, she places on the ground above, near Ajax' head, to act as markers for those seeking to pay respects to the man.

"Stranger, hear the words spoken in love and memorial today of the man we have lost. Add them to the tale he whispers in your ear. Listen to the silent tears in the night of those who still mourn. Take them as tribute to the greatness of the man you now hold. Hear us and remember well the man Ajax Thorgrim."

She gently closes the lid of the casket before lifting her eyes again to the crowd.

"Ajax once told me that it was the custom of his people to leave stones at the graves of those they loved. He said that the custom of leaving flowers, that wither and die, serves only to remind us of our loss. Stone endures. It reminds us of the lasting affect the ones we've lost had on us. It reminds us that they endure."

She gestures to the pile of stones next to the grave.

"For any who wish to honor him in the way of his people. As Ajax is returned to the earth, let us do so as he would have wished."

She leans over and picks up a stone, feeling the smooth surface for a few moments. With a sense of resignation, she drops it into the grave. She moves to stand next to the Oddfellows, offering another arm to Sophia.

Mordekai takes a stone and places into the grave

May She take you into Her Embrace and never let you go, Ajax.

Mordekai sighs and steps away from the grave shaking his head slowly.

Nasri rests a hand briefly on Mordekai's arm as she passes. Laying a rock on the grave, she murmurs, "You will not be forgotten" before returning to the gathered crowd.

Narene steps forth takes up a stone from the pile and places it with care on the grave.

He turns to return to his place and looks to Nasri, giving her a slight nod and a smile.

"So say we all."

Vincent steps forward, take a stone in his hand, and drops it at Ajax's feet.

"Fare well. The Soldier and I both will miss fighting side by side with you."

Atticus steps up and studies the available stones for a moment, before lifting a split piece of slate.

Good night, Ajax.

He says a quick incant before pressing the two halves together, then places the whole, slightly glowing stone down on the pile.

*Veria selects a stone and gently lays it to rest on the grave. She pauses resting her hand on the casket*

"May the Sept bless you. May you find the comforting arms of the Stranger. May your soul soar and know all the joys and blessings of the afterlife." she says softly.

Zander draws a stone from his pocket and it's obviously stained with dry blood.

"I brought this from where we interogated your murderer my friend. Know that you were my friend and in many ways my mentor. Ambrose and I talked briefly a few days ago and from now on before I dispatch the enemies of Pinedale I will always remember you. I will ask myself "What would Ajax do?" I will do you justice my friend."

Zander places the stone on the spot where his wound is covered and on bended knee.

"Travel well Ajax and one day we will join you."

With a whisper,

"I will join you at the strangers side before the girls will Ajax. I promise you."

Zander stands, places his fist over his heart, smiles to Maeve and leaves the group on the path to the Shrine of Draconus.

Gaius stepped forward and moved to pick up one of the stones and then stopped. He stood up and very calmly opened his pouch at his side and produced a piece of rough white marble. He looked the stone over and smiled a bit.

"Rest well, Friend. You've earned it." Gaius said softly before he bent and placed the stone very carefully on the pile and stood, stepping back to his old position.

Lady Jade had stood with her Master Guardian off to the side, listening reverently. She weras a black lace head covering.

After placing a stone on the pile in acordence to the custom, she does not address the crowd but speaks to those near by,

"It is distressing to lose such a fine artisan" Or "my condolences"

Ambrose steps behind Lady Jade in line, placing a rock upon the casket.

"Farewell, good friend."

Rhaveniel picks up a rounded stone well worn by time and the elements, but still strong. Rest well Ajax and know that we will think of you fondly.

Turning to Necerro she whispers: It is time that someone starts taking the dangers inside of Pinedale as seriously at those surrounding it.

Abramm had stayed on the outskirts of the gathering at first, but when Ambrose spoke he was drawn in. He did not know Ajax much, in fact he didn't know him at all, but he felt that he should honor the life of the well-respected craftsman. When the others began to place stones upon the grave Abramm hung back until most of the other people had placed their stone. As some of the last stones were being placed Abramm approached and added his stone to the pile, his lips moving in a silent benediction. After lingering over the grave for a few seconds, Abramm left, obviously moved.

(neccero apporches the grave once again puts a stone and murmurs in elvish)

(to those who speak elvish this is what you hear)

my the stranger accept your secrets ajax.