Sign in to follow this  
Vincent McFathom

Second Notice from McFathom

At Bizby's remarks.

"Ah, good. Once the walls are up, you can head over to the next plot of land. I've sent some people ahead, so the debris should be cleared by now."

Vincent finds Octavian with his eyes.

"Octavian, I'm putting you in charge of the second crew! Take Bizby and the other barn builders over to the next site when those walls are up!"

"I've always been of the opinion that knowledge and experience in a craft or art is more important to good leadership than being born under the right roof. Proving one's worth before responsibility is given and all that."

He gestures at Jason and then to Vincent with the axe. "Bizby is a master engineer, Vincent grew up raising barns and working in them, I was trained in an honest trade to make myself worth my weight when we were not on the front line."

He opens a rough palm in Malice's direction and indicates the pile of incoming logs."Without skill in a given task, a man is simply a laborer. If you want to help I'll teach you this, that is if you want to learn something. The slowest point in this process right now is prepping the posts and beams from logs to something the crews can use."

Malice smiles as he sees Vincent hand out orders and organize the work force.

Had I been given a few more moments to asses, I believe I would have come to the realization that you are in fact acting supervisor of this endeavor, whether you say it or not.

If you're declining my offer, I am not offended. As it seems you have already assigned such positions.

Malice looks at Bizby.

You never cease to impress me MasterCrafter Bizby. A engineer of fine ornaments, beautiful weaponry and now homes! If Vincent has seen fit to put you in charge of this one, I think it an excellent choice.

In a cold voice, without looking at Marius, he says,

Until I sense even an ounce of respect from you Patrician I will show you none and furthermore I care not for any of your opinions. Unless like your title, you think you can buy my respect as well.

Turning back again to Vincent.

Since you have no need of my specialized abilities I will stay out of your way. I can see that you have things well underway.

Malice turns to leave

Octavian, thanks for the game, I'll see you around.

Fifty slaves from the Tuq vo' Ying Hwa arrive, pulling wagonloads of bricks and sawn planks, and set to work under the supervision of several skilled craftsmen from Clan Wei. In short order, a dozen new homes are built.

Maeve offers food she can to the slaves that arrived. "There is not enough for all of you, but please help yourselves if you are allowed." Leaving what little is left for them to pick at, she gathers up her pans, douses the fire and prepares to leave. She turns to Vincent. "I wish you had told me there would be so many. I probably wouldn't have been able to make enough to go around, but I would have brought more."

The Gong approaches, beneath a parasol

Septon Maeve, I assure they have already been fed and watered as appropriate.

McFathom, I assume that with the work provided by the Tuq vo' Ying Hwa, the ceaseless racket of sawing and hammering can come to a speedy end. The incessant noise disturbs our tranquility.

Did not the Master once say, "The superior Goblin, having obtained their confidence, may then impose labors on his people. If he have not gained their confidence, they will think that he is oppressing them. Having obtained the confidence of his prince, one may then remonstrate with him. If he have not gained his confidence, the prince will think that he is vilifying him."

Vincent looks up from his work, sweat dripping from his brow.

"I thank your lordship for the assistance. With the provided workers, the "noise" will cease in a expedient fashion. I command my men, not this town."

And with that, the work continues into the night. With the aid of the Tuq vo' Ying Hwa labor, all homesteads and barns had been built seemingly overnight. The work completed, and farmer's notified of their new lodgings, the volunteers return to their everyday grind.

Ambrose watches the snow goblins scurry around, laying brick and mortar with breakneck speed and skill.

While watching them, mentally, Ambrose draws a map of Novitas, with Pinedale in the center and the Fissure at the north. He draws a dotted line between the two. On this mental map, he writes, "Three Weeks March." Looking at the many many crates of stone, pre-cut planks, and the tools necessary to create all these houses, not to mention the food and water provisions required for fifty people, Ambrose's jaw drops. Making sure no one is around, he murmurs, "Indeed, the Wei must have hired Rosalia to divine the future need for all these slaves to come to Pinedale, at least a month prior, perhaps even more, judging by the logistical preparation necessary to get all these slaves here. Yep, he would have had to get this going in the winter months, long before these houses had ever been torched. Amazing! Truly the house of Wei is blessed with both clairvoyance, wealth, and generosity in equal measure!"