Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Unit Name, Heraldry, and Theme

So Dan, Brett, Scott and I had a sit-down about this tonight, and here's where we'd like to go with this:

The four of us are willing to be the anchor. We'll be the core of the shield wall. Obviously, we'd like more, but four is a good start. This also leaves all the other slots open for other people (but feel free to join the wall too, more is better).

We need:

Spear + shorty people

Archers

Shieldbreakers

For a theme, we're thinking that we're... dead. We're some kinda undead unit. This just means white faces and black eye sockets for the minimum standard - simple enough. Motivated people can add some blood, fangs, whatever. We're thinking we're the Cairnhold Legion. :) The theme being "undead" means we can wear whatever armor or garb we want, as long as we're dead, so no one should need to get anything new except weapons, shields and tabards (and I can sew tabards very quickly).

Heraldry, black is the obvious color. Dag pretty much requires units to have a uniform tabard of some sort, and black's both easy and not taken in any nearby units. I dunno what we put on it though, color or design. White, red and yellow all look good with black, IMO. The ideal is we find something at, say, patchgeeks that we can use for a heraldry. Ripping shit off from literature or movies is pretty much accepted at Dag from what I can see, short of actual character names, so whatever we can find should be fine. Maybe something as simple as a big Iron Cross on black. These are 9" x 9" and $19 each:

skull_iron_cross_patch.jpg

Other iron cross patches, belt buckles, etc. are all SUPER easy to find, and make it easy for us to get going quick on the heraldry aspect of the unit.

So, to recap:

1. We're dead.

2. We're the Cairnhold Legion

3. We wear black

4. We use an iron cross for our heraldry, with red and white for accent colors

5. We need more fighters

Thoughts?

PS. I only need your thoughts if you're joining the unit, kthxbye.

Black... Shakes head sadly

If I listed all of the Dagorhir units that used black as their primary color... The one Winterfell unit that already exists is black and red.

I'm not saying you can't go with black, I'm just saying you won't be the only people in black on the field.

Morag Tong (Winterfell) - Black with Red

Silverhawks (Tartarus Invictus) - Black with Silver

I do like the concept of the "Cairnhold Legion".

I know, black is completely unoriginal. On the other hand, we all already have black garb, and we will look MUCH better than anyone else who is doing black. :)

Someone come up with a better suggestion. I'm all ears. Black is easy, cheap and evil.

Black... Shakes head sadly

If I listed all of the Dagorhir units that used black as their primary color... The one Winterfell unit that already exists is black and red.

I'm not saying you can't go with black, I'm just saying you won't be the only people in black on the field.

... yeah but the other units won't be undead with white faces :) I can tell you one thing they wont have: pink furry bunny costumes. I'm talkin' like... ears 2 ft tall, with hot pink body suits, and uh... fracking GLITTER.

On that note, I really wanna get in on this, but Utica is like 3 hrs away.

Rick, you're already in Rochester. Just go to their practices, and we'll meet up with you at big events.

How about a nice dark dried-blood red color instead of black? We'll still accent with black and white.

This color here:

600px-Maroon.svg.png

what about green as a base? the red/green/blue whatever from the hats?

Grey is a pretty undead color.

I would love to join up, but since I'm in albany, I would most likely only be able to make it to one or two practices a month. I could make all the games though.

I like the red posted. With black or white maybe?

And I'm willing to be a dual wielder or spearman. I'm better at dual wielding though.

Definitely liking the Cairnhold Legion as well.

not leafy gay elf green.

nurgle green.

Olive Drab?

Product-15-military-jeep-paints-lustreless-olive-drab-paint-large.gif

And I'm willing to be a dual wielder or spearman. I'm better at dual wielding though.

Dual wielding sucks. You're of no use behind the shield wall, and if you venture forth from the protection of the shield wall, you get shot.

Spearman is good. We need those. You're gonna need a spear (10' long), and a small one-hander. Maybe a buckler to strap to your arm too. There's no arbitrary limit to the weapons or shields you can carry.

something not black, not red, and still kinda undeady.

I'm interested. Can I ask about schedule? Every week thursday and sunday if I'm not mistaken?

Also black with white and red is sweet no matter who has it. You just have to own your inner evil.

Lastly Crosses are sweet!

something not black, not red, and still kinda undeady.

Like Schuyler said, there's always a nice dark grey.

So, maroon, olive drab, dark grey. Anyone have a strong preference? I like the maroon, but I'm not picky.

I'm interested. Can I ask about schedule? Every week thursday and sunday if I'm not mistaken?

We already fight on Thursday nights, so we'll keep that. Add to is a weekend afternoon, either Saturday or Sunday, whichever is better for people. I don't expect everyone to make every practice, but if you're doing this to fight, why would you miss any more than you have to?

CLEANED!

Stay on topic please! Unit theme, heraldry and name!

Like Schuyler said, there's always a nice dark grey.

So, maroon, olive drab, dark grey. Anyone have a strong preference? I like the maroon, but I'm not picky.

Combine the olive drab and the grey... they are the most disgustingly undead colors I can think of. If you have an insignia, it can be the dark maroon.

In my opinion if we're and undead legion we can wear any color. Cause in life we could have been wearing any color. I like the maroonish or dark grey idea. I'm not really picky though. I'll wear any color.

In my opinion if we're and undead legion we can wear any color. Cause in life we could have been wearing any color. I like the maroonish or dark grey idea. I'm not really picky though. I'll wear any color.

You're right, and that's the idea behind the undead thing (other than looking f'ing scary on the field) - we can wear whatever. But, while it's not a set-in-stone rule at Dagorhir, it's very much expected that a unit will have some kind of uniform - usually tabards, tunics or surcoats - of a uniform color with the unit insignia or heraldry on it.

If we can pick a color and an emblem, we'll put it on our shield covers and each have a tabard with it, and that's it for the "uniform". Other than that, wear whatever garb you feel like.

You really do have me hooked here with the costuming...Undead dag faction. Do you know how much fun I could have with liquid latex, false coagulated blood and runny stage blood?

you guys could really go all out for these costumes and make them look amazing.

(side opinion)

I would say, don't paint yourselves pure white, go for a medium to light gray for basic makeup...It feels more undead. (to me anyway)

Remember, it's not a LARP, we're basically putting on makeup for a four hour medieval rugby game. It's gotta be super simple and super durable. Slather some white on, darken the eyes, a little blood in the beards and we're done. Maybe I'd wear my fangs, but that's probably it.

Black white red. thats all there is to it. that cheapo patch at the top? Come on now, that's nice. all the other black ninjashadowclan warrior assassins will not be confused with us in the slightest

I'm still fine using black with red and white for accents. We will be fine with black. I haven't seen the Silver Hawks guys, but the Morag Tong kids weren't even recognizable as a unit to me last Sunday.

Remember, it's not a LARP, we're basically putting on makeup for a four hour medieval rugby game. It's gotta be super simple and super durable. Slather some white on, darken the eyes, a little blood in the beards and we're done. Maybe I'd wear my fangs, but that's probably it.

Yeah, I suppose your right.

I'm just kind of the person who would spend an hour or two before game doing zomb-erific make up on myself. But thats what I'm into outside of larping and everything else, so it's ALWAYS on my mind. :)