Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Unit Name, Heraldry, and Theme

on the one hand, I'm concerned about getting our faces onto other people's weapons.

On the other hand, orcs are green, and i didn't hear bitching about them...

Reaction #1: nice!

Reaction #2: I don't wanna paint that on my shield. :)

So, I'd like to get opinions from Dan, Brett and Scott (because they're who showed up for the first meeting) about the following:

1. Unit name. OK with Cairnhold Legion?

2. Unit Theme. OK with undead?

3. Colors. Dark green, dark red, black, dark grey, some combination of those four. Choose please.

4. Unit Emblem. Iron cross OK?

For me:

1. Fine

2. Fine

3. Black, maroon and grey, green and black in that order is my choices.

4. Fine

1. Fine

2. Fine

3. Black, or green and black

4. Fine

I would suggest a dark great as a base using white and a deep/ dark red as the accent. I think they will be awesome for the undead legion.

I think I like dark grey, everything else is great.

I may be worrying too much about colors though.

Let me make this suggestion then. Let's go with black as the "color", but you as individuals can be free to add another color to it for accent. So Scotty can use black and green, I'll use black and white, Brett can use black and maroon, Dan can use black and dark grey, etc. and so forth. You can use it to add stripes to your shield, trim your tabards, whatever.

It'll still be like 75% black on everyone. I'm talking a black tabard with a maroon or grey stripe or something else like that. Maybe just you get some cool trim of the color you want and do that.

RagnarokXXI-450_fighters.jpg

I think with the iron crosses and the thriller music, we'll be fine.

That picture is from Ragnarok. Those were all fighters. We do get lots of non-combatants at the event, but that gives you an idea how many people are fighting at a time. It's a rush.

So, we're a military unit, albeit a dead one. Seems like we need some ranks and such. Here's my cocktail napkin sketch:

ranks.jpg

There's obviously more to it than that little bit. If there are rewards (belt, patches, etc.) I'll provide them as people advance.

I'd also like to work out a system for battlefield achievements, stuff like "survived while outnumbered three to one at a battle" or "killed an opposing unit's commander", and give away little stuff like rank knots and such for that.

Also, when it says stuff like "Novice Level garb", those things are all spelled out in the Dagorhir Manual of Arms, which is found online here: http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm

Also, if it wasn't clear, I'm providing the Zombie tabards - but they're organizational equipment. Once you move beyond Zombie rank, you're expected to have procured your own tabard and to have returned the Zombie tabard to the bag. They're like loaner gear to get people going, and are nice and raggedy with an iron cross patch on the chest. :)

If anyone needs help sewing their tabard, shield cover or anything else, I have a machine and know how to use it. Just ask.

on the one hand, I'm concerned about getting our faces onto other people's weapons.

On the other hand, orcs are green, and i didn't hear bitching about them...

Don't worry about it. I've seen Roman shields with orc face-prints on them. The Roman usually is laughing because he just shield bashed some idiot, and there's proof.