Sign in to follow this  
trickster

Who's Fighting With What?

Ohh when you said shorty fighters I assumed you meant dual wielding. I'll go buckler and shorty then.

Dual wielding is fun. Don't let anyone discourage you from trying it out.

The off-hand weapon becomes your shield. It's faster, can't be destroyed by red weapons, and it can deal damage. The only thing it can't stop is an arrow... which you can dodge. Line fighting sucks as a dual wielder, I'll admit. I had plenty of fun in the open field matches though.

These people's spears have a weight requirement, it seems. Once I figured out how to do it, getting by a spear was easier in this game than KoN. You can control the tip of their weapon with one blade and strike them with the other. Spearmen are anti-shield, shield walls are anti-arrow, dual wielders are anti-spear in my opinion, and archers mess up everyone who isn't paying attention.

If you suck at dual wielding, don't do it. Hug-n-scream = fail. If you aren't agile, you fail. Reflexes are a must. If you're versatile with 2 weapons you can throw off someone's fighting style by switching it up on them.

You're no use in a line when dual wielding. We're forming a unit that will primarily fight in a line. See where I'm going with this? :)

By all means, if the game type called involves everyone running around in a big clusterfuck, go dart around with two swords. But first, let's get the unit formed, with everyone in their place doing a job they're good at and that needs doing.

Dual-wielders are showoff solo players. :)

I dual wielded as my pc for 3yrs almost so I'm pretty decent at it. Not epic. But decent.

If you're determined to run around solo, IMO you're better off with a buckler and a two-handed red weapon.

But that is not what we're talking about in this thread! :)

You're no use in a line when dual wielding. We're forming a unit that will primarily fight in a line. See where I'm going with this? :)

By all means, if the game type called involves everyone running around in a big clusterfuck, go dart around with two swords. But first, let's get the unit formed, with everyone in their place doing a job they're good at and that needs doing.

Dual-wielders are showoff solo players. :)

I agree with the shield wall. Switching to a spear at that point and was fairly effective. It fits nicely between shields and takes out legs.

I'm not used to fighting as a unit but I can see your point. I'll stick to buckler and sword. And then carry another shorty so if my shield gets destroyed or things get crazy I can switch to dual wielding. But right...back on topic. Sorry about that!

I'll stick to buckler and sword.

Not a buckler man, shield. Ankles to chin coverage, three feet wide.

It's a door.

i'm going sword and board, or axe and board or something.

If I do end up joining as one of the non regular..."helper" type people (since I wpn't be able to make all of the practices)

A pole-arm would be nice. stabby spears from behind shield walls = win.

A couple things to keep in mind...

Dual wielding - Your sword can't be broken by a red, but it's a lot easier to hit you hard enough to still make contact with my weapon. A shield has mass, and it doesn't do "damage" if it gets rammed back into you. It's also a lot easier to disarm a sword than it is to disarm a shield. And just to clarify, if you parry a weapon, and it still makes contact, it's still a legal hit. (For that matter, friendly fire, is not friendly, it still kills.)

Curved shields are measured on the outside of the curve in Winterfell. You get more than 3' out of a shield with a barrel shield in most chapters. To me, that's cheating. We're measuring the arc. With tower shields, if an archer has nothing else to aim for, they're gunning for heads. If all of your shields are maxed out in size, you become head targets, and the red shots come raining in.

Strap bucklers (straps to your arm so you don't have to hold it) are completely legal, as is having a shield on your back (but you can only carry ONE shield at any time), which is a good trick for spearmen. You can swing a weapon with an arm that has a buckler strapped to it.