Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Tabards or Tunics?

What do you guys think? Do we want to run with tabards or tunics? The tunics take a little more material to make, but we're talking the difference between $5 and $10 of material, so no big deal - we're not making them from brocade or velvet (unless you want to - I'll probably find a cool black brocade for mine).

Also, tabards are sometimes derisively referred to by the veterans as "battle bibs". Probably don't wanna go there.

When I say "tunic" I'm talking about the black tunic and hood that Jordan's wearing as Durum right now.

If you do go with tabards, here's some pointers to make them look better

- length needs to reach the knee, or it will look like a huge bib

- neck hole can't be too wide for the wearer, or it will stretch and pull to the side

- the back side needs to be several inches longer than the front to account for how it hangs off the neck

- make them in two parts and cut the edges where they meet at a slight angle so the seams slope down the shoulders

- for extra fancy, grommet and lace the sides from waist to several inches below the armpit

Actually, the more I think about it, if you're going to have armor, you need a tabard. No armor, we can make you a tunic.

We gotta be able to show the unit insignia, the iron/maltese cross dealio.

I think we should crank out a bunch of tunics, and a couple of tabard "Extras".

I guess we need to know who's wearing armor - those people need tabards.

I don't have a black shirt anymore, so I'll make myself a tunic too.

So, pipe up if you're wearing armor!

I am also wearing armor, and so will need a tabard.

More of a note to myself than anything else...

Initially, I'm thinking I'll just wear my chain vest. I don't plan on wearing Atticus' leather. Derisive comments from mid-landers who remember me wearing it seven years ago is enough to stop that. ;)

I don't think "battle bibs" is a derisive term to most Dagorhir fighters. Most of the guys who use that term, wear one as well.

It's more when you're wearing a piece of rectangular cloth, with a hole cut out for the head, over a t-shirt, and looking like a total runt...