hivemind

Battle Magic

Something makes me prefer to see PCs use their abilities more often, than have them suddenly get 25% more awesome

That doesn't make any sense to me.

As an example, Maelstrom is known to kick out four tagbags. A spell called greater maelstrom seems unneeded, as four tagbags tends to send any group of PC/NPCs running, and will usually kill anything dead.

I don't see a need to make a five tagbag damage spell, four has done a fine job for years and years now.

Off the top of my head, the 2-4 route seems better for some of the reasons already mentioned.

On the other hand, while plotting out a new PC, I noted that there was no ranged tagbag damage spell at first level, and felt cheated. :D

I can see how they wouldn't want magic strike to feel overshadowed, and there's definitely some strong competition between a hit for +4 and a spacket attack for 4.

You could add a spell that hits for more than 4 points, reflecting the school's ability to theoretically dish out more damage faster. If weapon damage and spells are generally capped at 4 points, a spell that generates one packet that hits for 6 or 8 points seems significant, certainly. Balanced, though? I'm less certain, there.

Perhaps we could put in a tagbag spell that affects monstrous creatures at at full damage? If we go the 2 - 4 tagbag spell route the lv 3 could be a 1 or 2 tagbag spell that will do 4 magic, ignoring the monstrous damage prevention? Level 5 tag bag spell could be 2 or 3 2 armor skipping darts?

Perhaps we could put in a tagbag spell that affects monstrous creatures at at full damage? If we go the 2 - 4 tagbag spell route the lv 3 could be a 1 or 2 tagbag spell that will do 4 magic, ignoring the monstrous damage prevention? Level 5 tag bag spell could be 2 or 3 2 armor skipping darts?

Ooooohh...

I wouldn't mind a 3 pointer that does "4 ignores monstrous"

I would have an issue if battle magic ignored armor though. I can see battle magic hitting hard enough to knock down the monstrous thing, not with it skipping armor, that seems silly.

Magic armor provides 2 points of protection at a cost of 1 Power. Magic Dart dealt 4 damage at a cost of 2 power. It was the easiest ranged spell damage to get and the cost for that ease can in efficiency. They were at a balance in terms of damage/protection vs Power cost. Even with Magic Armor up the victim still takes 2 magic past the defensive spell. It cost a little more (1 Skill Point) but power for power an aegis mage would still likely lose to a battle mage for sheer output over time. One throwing up 2pt protection per incant (this is talking Power efficiency, Anti-Magic Shield comes later) as the other lays down 4 magic damage per incant. They seem balanced as is for cost right now.

At lvl 2 a Battle mage can easily trump an Aegis mage. 1 Anti-Magic Aura (costing 2 Power) stops 1 dart. If both spend 2 power... Boom done.

I can totally understand why later levels would be more efficient thematically and in terms of point balance. The point made about .5 vs .8 seems to illustrate how it is advantageous to take the later Battle Dart spells. I like the idea that Battle mages get more efficient in power expenditure over time. No one wants to fight when they hear Maelstrom called. Its already the scariest call in the game. You get a benefit for being more than just a dabbler.

This game is already really magic heavy. Everyone knowing and their mom using a 1 Power cost 4 damage "Magic Missile" would IMO have spackets flying everywhere. I don't think this helps the game as a whole. Also if the idea is to have battle mages be really dangerous and scary in short bursts, we have that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Not that I personally wouldn't love to have every Legion battle start with a barrage of "Four Magic!" x6 to soften up an enemy. We have enough hit points and Enchant Shields to take a similar light barrage without slowing down much.

Maybe make Mana Burn take 3 Power? That seems more intimidating to me. Perhaps let it produce 2 darts that drain 2 Power each? Spending 1 point to knock down another casters options by 3-4 Power? That sounds like a threat to most of the magic heavy game. 3 of those would shut Veria or Atticus right-the-heck-down.

I wouldn't mind a 3 pointer that does "4 ignores monstrous"

I would have an issue if battle magic ignored armor though. I can see battle magic hitting hard enough to knock down the monstrous thing, not with it skipping armor, that seems silly.

That's cool.

I think we're pretty well settled on changing Battle Magic around so that there's only two dart spells:

Level 2: Magic Swarm. Two 4-point darts for 2 power.

Level 4: Maelstrom. Four 4-point darts for 4 power.

This allows us to work in Battle Mastery going to Level 5, and reduces the number of duplicated spells in the Battle Mage's tree.

So we will need a new lvl 3 spell to go with the fixed spell store, is the monstrous skipping tagbag a good choice, people seemed to like the idea. The only question if we go with it is how many tag bags- 1 is good, but is it good enough for people to take it over the new spell store- or do we go to 2 - but that may make the spell too good...

One, Dave.

level 2 = 2x 4 pointers

level 3 = 1x 4 point ignore monstrous

level 4 = 4x 4 pointers

The level three is situational, but when the BM needs it, it saves them a power point, and having to hit with three additional tagbags (For maelstrom)

"Ignore Monstrous" is a mouthful. We should probably create a more concise call to represent the effect. Perhaps "Slay"?

"Four Mega Damage!"

"Four Massive Damage!"

...ummm

I like "Four Magic Slay!"

NERO/Alliance uses Slay. It's popular there, but leads to a lot of silly jokes out of game. "Seventeen Silver Slay, Sir" comes to mind...

Not that silly jokes are a bad thing. :)

"ignore monstrous" is less syllables than "armor skipping" and the same as "ignores armor".

Just because the M makes it look like a long word doesn't make it a long word :)

This is not like the NERO slay.

I never said it was... I'm just saying that they use that as a verbal damage descriptor. It just means another LARP group found the word concise and attractive enough to use it, that's all.

I like the idea of 1 power = 1 dart, as it is battle magic is a little lame. Spell store is a great way to use up 3 power without acomplishing anything. And battle mastery would be cool if it lasted longer than one fight.

What if Spell Store allowed you to store a spell for the event, rather than a game day.

And Battle Mastery grants you + 1 damage for the game day, but not allow you to use other weapons, I wouldn't want to carry a spear or something around just so I could use it for ten minutes anyways.

But battle magic is not very diverse right now, and it would be great to have a mage who can use magic as a primary weapon, rather than cast a spell here and there, which makes for a better RP I think.