hivemind

[Battle Magic] Spellstore Sucks!

Yes, it sucks. Anyone have an idea for a replacement?

Maybe a weapon buff that lets you hit for +1 magic damage for ten minutes, or game day?

That kind of overlaps with both battle mastery and enchantment magic.

How about some sort of party based damage buff, like a more efficient Strength spell or multiple magic strikes? We'd probably want to make it an out of combat spell like mass heal to avoid confusion though.

What about something real simple, like "Weapon strikes for magic damage" for game day?

Or even "Mana drain" where you get the 2 power back (Never to exceed 20, of course)

If we're changing battle immunity, what of a lesser immunity, perhaps immune to magical tagbags for 10 minutes?

If we're changing battle immunity, what of a lesser immunity, perhaps immune to magical tagbags for 10 minutes?

Sounds like Anti-Magic Aura before it got nerfed to 1 minute.

I'm more and more willing to allow some overlap in the spell schools. Limiting them so strictly as we do makes it very hard to balance things.

I think that making a weapon hit for magic damage for the day is fine.

-Brian

What if we removed the expiration date for the stored spell? Suddenly it's a really, really cool level 3 spell, even something people would seek you out to cast...

What if we removed the expiration date for the stored spell? Suddenly it's a really, really cool level 3 spell, even something people would seek you out to cast...

Sounds like a logistical nightmare if it lasts between events.

If we're dropping maelstrom down a level, and turning magic dart into magic swarm, we need TWO new/improved level 3 battle magic spells.

Not really a nightmare. One person has to keep track of one spell - the Spellstore would go away when the spell inside was expended.

Perhaps we could reduce the cost of the stored spell by 2 or 3, so people aren't being charged 3 power to defer a spell for later. I can also see extending the duration, but I'd still have it expire at the end of an event.

I think 3 power to effectively get 25 power is plenty fair. I have both Spellstore and Battle Immunity. Right before Convergence, I still have eight power left, so I cast Spellstore on my sword then shoot a Battle Immunity into it. Convergence happens, and I immediately blow the Spellstore and cast the Battle Immunity on myself - and still have all my power.

I have a belt of throwing knives, I label them with one of each spell I know.

Every convergence, I use any power I have left to put a different spell into each one.

Suddenly, I have magic items which cast anything I know, once.

I may be missing a caveat in the spell though.

Nope, that's pretty much it, except that they'll need to expire at the end of the event I think, or else we move Spellstore to 4 or 5.

Just an idea.

If spellstore as a spell doesn't work very well, what about making it an alchemical compound?

Like the alchemist makes some sort of magical goo (or what have you) that is able to store a spell.

Then just replace spell store with something else.