hivemind

[Battle Magic] Battle Immunity Is Confusing

If I cast Battle Immunity on myself, and someone hits me for 4 Magic with a Magic Strike spell, but I didn't know that was the source, what happens?

Why does Battle Immunity protect you from Maelstrom, but not from the 4-point Magic Damage trap effect?

I think Battle Immunity should make the recipient immune to all magic damage (anything with a damage call of "X Magic") in the same way that Elemental Immunity makes you immune to ALL elemental damage from any source and Mind Blank makes you immune to ALL compulsion effects.

I think people might actually take the spell if this was the case.

It would make the spell easer to adjudicate- but how would id affect a magic weapon- can I "turn" the magic damage portion of a weapon off? For example, the magic, elm water, +1 damage sword I my PC has hits someone for 3 magic( I usually call only one damage type to make it easy on myself) if I get a no effect can I call 2 normal on my next swing (I hit for 2 normally) and hurt the target?

That would be how I'd do it. You can always choose to, say, hit for blunt rather than Elven Steel or hit for less damage than you're capable of.

If elemental immunity makes you immune to anything that does X magic damage, then I would definately let someone with a magic axe "Turn off" the magic for the purposes of striking someone. A good example of this already in play is the magic goblin iron sword. That sword is supposed to call magic OR goblin iron, not both (If I recall correctly).

We would need to seriously clarify all the ifs/elses for this spell if we're making this change.

I wonder what the players think...

As long as someone can just call normal damage with a magic weapon (which was my current understanding anyway), then I don't really see a problem with this. It's not really making it much more powerful, and it is simpler.

Indeed I think that if it protects you from magic damage then I should be able to call normal hits with my magic sword. However I think that the calling damage with special tags like magic and poison needs to be clarified as I and many others have heard this said both ways. Some GMs have say that you can choose not to call a damage tag like magic or poison while others have said that you must call them and can't choose to call normal.

Other than that I think this is a far better way to adjudicate the spell though. Also it makes it way more useful.

-Brian

You can always choose to NOT call special damage, just like you can always choose not to hit for your maximum and always choose to hit for Blunt damage.

Does it necessarily make perfect sense? No. Is it easy and consistent? Yes.

Tack that comment about being able to NOT call damage into the "things to change for rulebook 3.0" thread.

You can always choose to NOT call special damage, just like you can always choose not to hit for your maximum and always choose to hit for Blunt damage.

Does it necessarily make perfect sense? No. Is it easy and consistent? Yes.

How does this idea of "turning off" the magic in a magic sword jive with the mana shards things that were floating around last year? Could players have just "turned off" their magic weapons and killed them without consequence? It seems like this ability to shut of the magic makes magic weapons too versatile.

Can't we have some love for the poor shlub who chooses to carry a normal weapon in their kit for just this reason?

Don't look at it as "turning off the magic", look at it as relying on the steel beneath the enchantment. :)