hivemind

[Battle Magic] Battle Mastery's duration is too short

Simply, no one is ever going to cast this spell when the duration is 10 minutes.

What if we changed it so that you gained the use of one of:

Great Weapon Training

Melee Training

Missile Training

Buckler

Shield Fighting

Thrown Weapon Training

Two Weapon Fighting Master

for game day duration (caster's choice of one, instead of all of them), and kept the +1 Magic Damage ability? That seems like it might be worth 4 Power to cast now...

I like idea of day length duration for this, but do you think it'll really matter if we bother to restrict it to one of these options at a time? I think it's going to be pretty rare that anyone casting it will have the gear to take advantage of more than one or two of them at a time anyway.

If we make it all day, all weapons, and still +1 magic damage, I'd like to see it changed to a self-only spell. The problem however is that we don't have such a thing. :)

What if we changed it so that you gained the use of one of:

Great Weapon Training

Melee Training

Missile Training

Buckler

Shield Fighting

Thrown Weapon Training

Two Weapon Fighting Master

for game day duration (caster's choice of one, instead of all of them), and kept the +1 Magic Damage ability? That seems like it might be worth 4 Power to cast now...

If you go with this then basically your speding 4 power for 2 skill points and the +1 Magic Damage for the day. I'd certainly cast it then if I had it. The only problem I see with this change is that people may initially cast it for something like Great Weapon and then later in the day decide that they used it for something else instead.

Also I think it should be stipulated that the +1 Magic damage doesn't stack with itself. So if I cast it for Missle Weapon and then later cast it again for Shield fighting I'm not hitting for +2 Magic damage.

-Brian

I like idea of day length duration for this, but do you think it'll really matter if we bother to restrict it to one of these options at a time? I think it's going to be pretty rare that anyone casting it will have the gear to take advantage of more than one or two of them at a time anyway.

Thats because you havn't heard the plan for my alt!!

I'd still lean towards self-only, OR all the skills and no +magic damage.

I'd like to note that it seems like the skill additions are almost pointless for battle mastery. The caster is realistically only going to use one, maybe two or three of the skills provided, and since the spell costs 4 skill points to learn (and another 4 skill points to cast every day) the caster might as well just buy the skills the spell is going to give him, especially if he plans on staying alive during his career before he can cast battle mastery. The +1 magic damage is really the selling point of the spell, though is competing directly with greater enchant.

I forsee a day-long buff being used as a crutch for new PCs in existing parties. The legion as an example. Level one guy joins up, they slap a battle mastery on them and suddenly they're carrying a shield and a non-martial, swinging for two magic, and still have skill points to buy Body and armor training, for instance.

I'm not sure that's an entirely bad thing, but it seems a bit much I think.

I also would prefer less options, rather than more. It's easier to say "You can use any weapon" than to have to pick one of Seven options each time you cast it. My problem is that I think if it lets you use any weapon and hit for +1 magic all day, it should be a level five spell in my eyes.

My problem is that I think if it lets you use any weapon and hit for +1 magic all day, it should be a level five spell in my eyes.

Excellent idea. Let's drop Maelstrom to level 4 to compensate.

That sounds fine to me and fits with some of what we've been talking about in the thread on the 1 for 1 damage anyway.

-Brian

so what are we saying.

Move it lvl 5. Duration Game Day. Choose 1 combat style? and swing for +1 magic?

Move it to Level 5, drop Maelstrom to Level 4. Battle Mastery grants use of all weapons swinging for +1 Magic damage for Game Day. It adds value, but doesn't overpower the Level 5 Greater Enchant Weapon. Also stipulate that it doesn't grant any skills for armor or shields - weapons only (including thrown and bows).

Move it to Level 5, drop Maelstrom to Level 4. Battle Mastery grants use of all weapons swinging for +1 Magic damage for Game Day. It adds value, but doesn't overpower the Level 5 Greater Enchant Weapon. Also stipulate that it doesn't grant any skills for armor or shields - weapons only (including thrown and bows).

I'm comfortable with that.

This fits well with my hopes for a 2 tagbag + 4 tagbag dart spells

5th level, +1 magic damage for game day, weapon use?

It's enchant weapon's awkward younger brother.

Does anyone even care about the weapon use part of the spell? Who on earth would use BM to use a weapon when they can just pick up the skill? Most of the skills provided are only 2 skill points, and unlike BM, can't be dispelled.

I already know Battle Mastery. I don't know Great Weapon. I want to use a spear against the Yebs instead of single sword. Voila.

I already know Battle Mastery. We find a magic bow, and it's awesome. I want to use it right now. Voila.

We recruit a new guy. He's got no weapon skills, and we need him to carry a shield in the line. He can't buy the skills until the next event. Voila.

So why not just make that it's own spell? The two aspects of the spell are working in two different directions so the spell is only worth the power if the situation calls for both or if you're gonna die if you can't perform one or the other.

It just seems to me that the attempt to fix Battle Mastery is just tacking on extra stuff to maintain the level of the spell and it just looks like an ungainly monster.

Wow, so instead of spending points out the butt to be a versatile warrior and buy all the combat skills in the game a Battle Mage can take an already decent tree and spend 5 skill points (and 5 skill on power if this is a dedicated theme) to get game day access and magic damage and +1 damage...

Why be a thug? Heck if you already swing for 3s this spell costs as much as swinging for 4's would cost, and you get all the rest. This seems over the top to me.

Game day, +1 magic, and choosing one weapon style seems a little more balanced to me.

Just because we have few dedicated Battle mages doesn't mean that we need to put the tree on steroids. We barely have any Nature or Necromancy casters either.

That's a good point as well.

On the other hand, one Dispel and you're screwed. That doesn't happen when you've spent the points.

Compare with greater enchant weapon.

Both "give" +1 damage

One hits for elven steel

one lets you use any weapon

Dispel removes battle mastery, greater enchant weapon is there until someone disarms you, and then it's still on the weapon.

I see potential cheese going on with picking one, thus why I'd like to see this as a self-only buff.

If I have martial weapon training, thrown weapon training, and two-hand weapon training, and I cast battle mastery for Great Weapon, do I now hit for 2 with everything?