Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Arrow Making

This diagram, while drawn for Dagorhir/Amtgard/Belegarth arrows (where headshots are legal) will also make fine, legal, serviceable arrows for KoN games. These arrows can be made with 1/2" pipe insulation and blue camp mat, rather than the extremely expensive materials listed here (1/2" EVALite is around $40 for a piece about half the size of a camp mat). KoN arrows do not get shot nearly as much as Dag arrows, and so camp mat is fine.

In step 4, substitute a 1.5" piece of 1/2" pipe insulation. The kind that's either uncut, or self-sticking is best.

You may omit steps 8 through ten, at your option. We do not require soft stabby foam on the ends of KoN arrows, which eliminates step 8, and without the soft foam on the tip, the extra strengthening of steps 9 and 10 is not necessary.

If you do not cover your arrows in cloth (as in steps 11 and 12, you must cover them with duct tape or latex and sealer. However, cloth-covered arrows are legal at KoN.

Finally, I would suggest adding one more "cap" of camp mat on the tip of each arrow, for a total of 1.5" of padding on the tip, before covering them.

evalite_arrows.pdf

Thanks for the link, Dave. I was just about to ask about ordering some arrows, but I should try my hand at them myself, if only so we can build a supply of NPC arrows.

As another option, I also used the below manual to build the arrows Riona and Ox were using at this last game, and several of my NPCs that could shoot; in addition to x-bow bolts for the ballista. This design was safety ok'd by JC, and I found that longer shafts are best when arrow-making. My apologies on the link, for some reason, I'm having trouble directly attaching the PDF.

Other good tips: If you're handy with a drill you can partially drill out rubber stoppers (from Lowes, in the hardware section) and hot glue them to the arrow shaft.

As for the arrow shaping I went with the camp mat circle method laid out in appendix A, and also used DAP throughout for attaching everything together. As a sidenote, this will cause the knife you use to shape the cone to become fairly gummy, so don't use your most favorite one ever :D

Also, we found that in test-wapping eachother, that using carpet tape to keep the whole thing together made it overly heavy and uncomfortable to whacked with...duct tape holds them together just fine and is way lighter.

I made these arrows cloth covered and found that kids socks from the dollar store, cut off & duct taped in place are fabulous. Also, by attaching a single cone from an egg-crate mattress topper, it lessons the impact and also makes the head more aerodynamic in flight.

All told, I really like these arrows. They go pretty far, are fairly cheap, don't look as good as some of the other (latex) kinds about, but as a starter weapon they completely fit the bill for myself.

http://www.adrianempire.org/documents/manuals/arrows_02.pdf

Other good tips: If you're handy with a drill you can partially drill out rubber stoppers (from Lowes, in the hardware section) and hot glue them to the arrow shaft.

Much, MUCH easier to simply buy a dozen bird blunts: http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&a...164&CATID=6

This is a good point as well, I just threw the stoppers out there as a low cost option to folks who already have access to the right tools; and enough judgement to not drill through their own hand. :D

Much, MUCH easier to simply buy a dozen bird blunts

This is a good point as well, I just threw the stoppers out there as a low cost option to folks who already have access to the right tools; and enough judgement to not drill through their own hand. :D

I can count the number of players I'd trust with power tools on the fingers of two hands - and all of them would just buy bird blunts. :D

Given the right gig setup and a drill press I might consider drilling a stopper. But I know I'd probably just get bird blunts if it came to new arrows.

Ah I long for the day where I actually have facilities to make weaponry and such. I never realized how much I'd miss my basement.

Just wondering if there is anything else that I should do to finish this arrow before I add my Covering layer?230689_218931454799989_100000494094327_891950_8277260_n.jpg226924_218931824799952_100000494094327_891958_7323484_n.jpg

I'm not sure how your foam is attached. I would highly recommend running your tape at least part-way down the shaft. As it is, it looks like the whole head could fall off at any moment.

Bow looks fine.

Arrow looks iffy. Did you follow directions from somewhere for that?

Yes I used the evalite link. The arrows arent done yet though. I put the tape on them 'cause i dont know how long it takes the DAP to dry and I had to go to work.

You're putting DAP in arrows? I recommend Super 77 in the future. Much lighter. Doesn't dry as stiff.

Wrap & dap or spray mount one layer of 1/2 inch thick (closed cell) camping mat foam 2 inches wide around the tip of the arrow (the arrow shouldn't have a metal tip), then place a shallow plastic water bottle cap (you know the ones half as deep as a regular plastic bottle caps yes its lighter than a penny and will add to the flight of your arrow) over the tip then "procure" insulation foam used in shipping found in the corners of boxes of hot water tanks sold at home depot or Lowes (funnoodles work but the hot water tank insulation comes ready with a slice half way through with self adhesive) dap/ spray mount & wrap the insulation foam around the camp mat & bottle cap. Then dap/ spray mount one 2 & 1/2 inch approx diameter circular layer of camping mat (closed cell), should be a even diameter over the top of the bottle cap & the layered cylinder of foam then dap/ spray mount a 2 inch thick layer of open cell (soft, couch foam). Finally once dry add a yellow cloth cover over the head and cloth tape around the (closed cell) insulation foam, distinctively mark the head or Fletchings and fire away.

Speaking of arrows, I can now make you wood shafted arrows in any colors you want. I can also add cresting (complex color bands) to your carbon or fiberglass arrows. Perfect for use with https://www.amazon.com/Junxing-Arrowhead-Practice-Broadhead-Shooting/dp/B01LW6DKVW

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this