Sign in to follow this  
Kulon

Advice on books

If you want to go old school, try the original Dragon Lance series, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dranons of Spring Dawning.

Every 6 -12 months or so I go back and read that Trilogy. Other good Dragonlance reads include:

Legend of Huma

The Twins Trilogy

Second Generations

Dragons of Sumer Flame

Dragons of Sumer Flame

Holy shit I had no idea some of those books are set in Mesopotamia! I love historical fiction!

Dragonlance was one of my favorite series of the genre.

I recommend Robin Hobbs books: (Farseer Trilogy)

- Assassin's Apprentice

- Royal Assassin

- Assassin's Quest

Also, look into reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. He's the author that is finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. However, his stand-alone book Elantris is an amazing story. The writing is a little rushed in some segments, and the beginning is a little cliche, but the characters, concepts, and post-few-chapters is absolutely epic.

If we're getting into Heinlein, I'd recommend Starship Troopers. So much better than the film...

And if you're gonna go sci-fi, I'd vote for John Scalzi's Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony. They're Starship Troopers for the new millennium.

And if you're gonna go sci-fi, I'd vote for John Scalzi's Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony. They're Starship Troopers for the new millennium.

Pfft.

I've read a ton of Dragonlance....probably too many...

Anyways, I'd also suggest R.A. Salvatore's books from the Forgotten Realms. Mainly anything with his character Drizzt Do'Urden.

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks is a good novel (It is a prequelle to a decent trilogy. Although, the trilogy is good you will notice it is not on my recomendations)

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott

- These are a book set that has not yet been completed, but they are one of the fastest paced novels I have ever read. Also, They are set in the present.

If you've never read the wheel of time, I'd say dig right in there.

If you want to go a little crazy, I've got a big thick book full of H.P. Lovecraft stories. It's not for everyone though.

WoT imo!

Funny, so do I. I actually took a break from it to read the new L.K. Hamilton Book, but will probably be back to Lovecraft within the week.

So, I'm reading the next Wheel of Time book.

If you're an Egwene fan, this is the book for you. Daes motherfucking Dae'mar. I'm halfway through, and it's not bad. However, so far there is no Lan, and this displeases me greatly.

Anyone else reading this?

I've heard its pretty good. Id like to pour through it sometime. Its gonna be three books, right?

Yep, three.

Yep, three.

So, twelve more?

Yeah, probably. ;)

Okay, chapter 34 of this book is probably the funniest thing I've ever read. I think this guy is doing a fine job of rescuing Jordan's catastrophe.

Finished it, it's totally worth it.

I want to second Pillars of the Earth

Just finishing Ender in Exile, Orson Scott Card

Also Firethorn by Sarah Micklem

Heinlein is one of my favorite authors, but you are definitely throwing people off the deep end with those two recommendations. Maybe start them off with something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_in_the_Sky

I've started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and I'm loving it! I'm already a Lincoln nut, and I like the macabre so this was right up my alley. My personal opinion: the story is all the more enjoyable if you already know about Lincoln's childhood/early life and see how the vampire stuff can fit in. :lol:

To add to this topic:

The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (of Harry Dresden fame) are excellent, and all six are out now.

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik are also most excellent.