Sign in to follow this  
Kulon

Advice on books

I second both of those recommendations. And if you're into audiobooks, the audio versions of Codex Alera are great.

Dave is right. Codex Alera is the shit.

I can't remember if they're in here already, but I liked the Wizard of Earthsea books, by Ursula K. Le Guin.

sort of related...

One of the best books I've read, "Pillars of the Earth", will soon be released as a mini-series on "Starz".

sort of related...

One of the best books I've read, "Pillars of the Earth", will soon be released as a mini-series on "Starz".

Miniseries finished last Friday. It was well done. I'd say it was about as true to the book as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This means if you watched the series and liked it, you'll probably like the book more.

I also picked this up as an audio book recently. After watching the series, I wanted to reread the book because there were parts I had forgotten and wanted to remember.

Tor is doing a poll on best SFF books of the last decade. It looks like a whole slew of good reads, whether they make the final top 10 or not. I will be adding some of these to my reading list.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/01/best-sff-...oll-update-0113

ETA: The final results are here.

Zelazny is great, the Amber series is very fun to read. He also has some good stand alone novels, it's hard to find, but 'a night in the lonesome october' is awesome.

Pretty much anything by Orson Scott Card is good, his ender series is the main work, and he has rewritten it from the viewpoint of a different character somewhat recently, with some pretty interesting style there. He has some other series, Memories of earth started amazing, becomes less so as the series progressed.

Weis and hickman have done a lot of good stuff, not just dragonlance.

Dragonlance, darksword, deathgate cycle, etc. Weis alone did a series called star of the guardians that was quite good as well.

Wheel of time is of course good, once you get past the 'how many enormous books did you say that was??' phase. Theres also a non-series book 'new spring' out there.

I'm sure I'm missing plenty of big ones, but thats just the ones that come immediately to mind.

-Bill

PS: I havent read pillars of the earth, but I've played the board game, which was somewhat fun.

Depending on how liberal you are on your definition of "fantasy", House of Leaves by Danielewski was weird and brilliant. Creepy, sad, smart, a bunch of damn lies about some true things. Recommended!

Seconded, house of leaves was aaaaaawesome! You could read that thing 8 times and each time it would be different.

To add my pick to the not quite fantasy but fantastic book category:

"Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami

"Kafka by the Shore" by Haruki Murakami

I'm a bit Murakami fan btw.

I second Dave's picks for the Gotrek and Felix books, snag an omnibus and it is definitely worth your while. "Mathhias Thullman: Witchhunter" is also another good Warhammer Omnibus.

I also must put forward "the Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. Seven books and a host of graphic novels. The audio books are also very well done, especially numbers two, three and four. Unfortunately the narrator had a bad motorcycle wreck and was unable to finish the cycle.

Haven't read this yet, but will pick it up in the next few weeks

Leaving Mundania.

I'm in the middle of The Heroes, by Abercrombie. It's Vikings versus Dutch/Germans. So far it's gritty and no bullshit, only two sorcerers so far and they're either pretentious or fucking weird. Thumbs up, so far.

Just started The Rook. I'm about 100 pages in, and it's charmingly weird and fish-out-of-watery. I can see where it thinks it's being funny, though the jokes aren't landing for me yet. Might appeal to the Dresden Files people.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (trilogy)

Malus Darkbkade by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee (Warhammer)

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Century Trilogy by Ken Follett (never have been one for historical stuff but, it's a good read; about events around WWI and WWII)

Three Parts Dead was a lot of fun, and reads like something straight out of a China Mieville-as-GM Shadowrun campaign.

Putting in a plug for an author I am surprised not to see here. David Gemmell if you like gritty, low magic, realistic fantasy his work may be just the ticket. His heroes are real people. The kind who sometimes think less than heroic thoughts like "Sod this, I just want to go home and see my kids, not fight in the rain for some uncaring lordling's."

Haven't read this yet, but will pick it up in the next few weeks

Leaving Mundania.

Necro-posting here. Did you enjoy this book?

This thread is great! Read anything fun lately?

While I'm here...

Not strictly related to Game of Thrones, but general fantasy-ish:

I second J.R.R. Tolkien.

I second Terry Pratchett. My favorites are Monstrous Regiment, Thud!, Going Postal, Snuff, and the Tiffany Aching Series.

T.H. White. The Once and Future King. If you haven't read it yet, do.

T.A. Barron: YA fantasy by an environmentalist. The Lost Years of Merlin series, The Dark Tree of Avalon series (I met the author when I was a kid and years later he said he named a character (Elliryana) after my little hometown of Elyria, Ohio!) His Heroic Adventures of Kate series is fantasy-adjacent.

Jasper Fforde: Quirky. I like the Thursday Next series and the Nursery Crime series which are not fantasy so much as alternate reality sci-fi-ish plus the kitchen sink...? They are hard to pin down to a genre. I haven't read his new series The Last Dragonslayer yet, but that looks to be more traditional fantasy with quirky elements.

Vivian Vande Velde: YA Fantasy and Role Playing books. The Book of Mordred is good fantasy, User Unfriendly and Heir Apparent are about role playing characters who enter their fantasy video game. (I read a ton of her books as a kid and recently got to meet her after finding out she lives in Rochester!)

Lloyd Alexander. YA Fantasy. The High King series.

Jean Ferris. Adorable, quirky YA fantasy. Once Upon a Marigold series.

I want to write children's fantasy books, so my picks are mostly in the YA realm. These may not suit all tastes.

#1 non-fantasy pick: Anything on American history by Sarah Vowell on audio book (Assassination Vacation, The Wordy Shipmates, Unfamiliar Fishes, Lafayette in the Somewhat United States).

My favorite book at the moment: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy