hivemind

Dag Weapons and Shields at Origins

I'll be at Origins all this week, and Edhellen armory will also be there. Bob has asked me to pick him up one of their shields: http://www.edhellen.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...e=strap-shields

I don't recommend anything smaller than their tower or kite for our line. Bob, please take a look at what they have and let me know what you're interested in.

If anyone else wants anything Edhellen sells, let me know and I'll do what I can to get it for you there. That'll save you the outrageous shipping on huge stuff.

Keep in mind that Edhellen Shields have no open cell foam on them. They can fail weapons checks because of this, and if shield bashing, hit light.

That's an easy fix though. If they look unacceptable, I'll pass on them.

I find myself gravitating toward the Tower as the most scutum-like, and it seems optimal for line fighting. Is there any reason I should want the kite instead?

Just flava. Maybe weight. Really flava.

Then tower me up. :ph34r:

I have brought back from Edhellen Armory at Origins five 40" swords ($32), five 36" swords ($30), a tower shield ($90, grey covered), a teardrop shield ($70, red covered), and a round shield ($60, red covered).

As expected, the shields have no open-cell foam on them, so if you're going to run people over you'll need to add a layer of 1" open cell. This is not a big project, involving probably a single camp mat, a big piece of Jo-Anns green foam, a utility knife, and a can of Super 77. Even if this is the case, the heavy lifting has been done already.

Bob has dibs on the tower, but if he passes it's up for grabs.

I did not get any of their red weapons. They all seemed far too hard to pass for local Dag events. I also did not get any javelins, as they all seemed too floppy to be durable.

Awesome, Hive.

Using their shields and adding some open cell is a great idea, since it means most of the hard work is done for you already. Don't forget to add open cell to the sides of the shield too, though, since we check for core from every direction (front and sides)!

I've had no experience with their javelins, but yes, their reds tend to hit harder than Dagorhir likes. Reds aren't too hard to make, fortunately, if you can get your hands on bandshoppe poles.